Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Was for sleeve, then insurance changed to bypass

Hi all, Just wondered about others' experiences -- I'm still pre-op, new insurance kicks in Jan. 1st and covers WLS. I've asked many times (both insurance company and surgeon's office) about coverage details and was repeatedly assured that sleeve was covered. I met w/surgeon, psych, dietitian, etc (did self-pay on those to get a head-start on pre-op requirements before new insurance kicks in...). So surgeon and I decide on sleeve. THEN -- long story short, just found out yesterday that sleeve only covered on grandfathered policies, not new policies -- for new policy-holders, it covers band and bypass.

I'm okay w/bypass, but feel like I didn't HAVE to have that drastic of surgery (not diabetic; no GERD)... (and don't want band) -- so bypass it is. I had myself all psyched for the sleeve -- less drastic surgery; quicker recovery; etc -- now I have to change my mind-set to bypass. Anyone else go thru something like this? Thanks for your insights --

PS - and yes, I'm very grateful that new insurance covers bypass -- have wanted WLS for about 10 years, but hubby's insurance specifically excluded any kind of WLS -- I purchased a policy under the Affordable Care Act that is both affordable AND covers bypass, so I'm definitely grateful overall -- just needing to change my mind-set about sleeve vs bypass --

I've had the Sleeve and had to revise to the Bypass. Over the years I ended up with extreme GERD from the VSG and had to revise. Of the two I'd say they both work great. If I HAD to pick which one I like the best I pick the Bypass. I don't have as much esophageal pain now and I'm feeling good/normal. I recognize when I am full and I stop eating immediately. Haven't had any post op problems at all except the incision pain was annoying, but it went away.

Good luck to you!

Thank you!@ -- that is very helpful - appreciate your insights!

No problem. Keep us updated on how you're doing! :)