Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve surgery revealed large cysts

Hello everyone. I hope you all are doing well. I had surgery 11/4/14 and I had no problems with my sleeve surgery. Everything has been going great and I feel really good. :)

Did anyone else have other medical problems uncovered due to this surgery? My surgeon told my husband after my surgery that he saw a "very large cyst in the area of my right ovary and that I should get it checked out." I got through my first week pre-op and the second week I had an appointment with my PCP. She ordered an ultrasound which showed a large 10 cm cystic lesion on/around my right ovary. They could not even see the ovary due to the cyst being so large. The following week I had an MRI which showed 2 large cysts in the adnexal/upper pelvic area. The largest cyst has a smaller cyst within it. I had an appointment with a new GYN the middle of December (my old GYN had a baby and decided to be a stay at home mom). I called them after my MRI and they moved my appointment up to this Thursday. I am very nervous as the NP that called with my test results would give me very little information. She just said that the GYN would talk to me about everything but that I would require surgery due to the size of the cysts. I asked about the chances of them being cancerous and she said again that the GYN would discuss all of this with me. Now I am nervous and am going to have to go through more surgery. I just hope it can be done this month as my deductible has been met.

Any words of encouragement would be appreciated or if anyone else wants to share their experiences... Thank you for listening (reading).

Summer

Summer,

Hoping for the very best possible outcome from your doctor visit. I will be thinking of you on Thursday. Please keep us posted!

Summer,

Hoping for the very best possible outcome from your doctor visit. I will be thinking of you on Thursday. Please keep us posted!

Thanks Barb

i had cysts in my uterine wall, and they were a little painful and caused intermittent bleeding. the obgyn told me that they shrink on their own as you get closer to menopause, and they did go away. i know it's hard, but try not to imagine the worst before you hear anything. chances are that they are benign.

When I was 17 (back in 1969) I had some large painful cysts removed from oneof my ovaries - and they took the ovary, too. They did a bikini incision. No one was doing any kind of laparasopy yet. Anyway, problem solved immediately, and I went on to have two kids with the one ovary that I had left. Don't worry about what you don't have to worry about yet. Thank goodness the issue was discovered before it got any worse. I wish you the best.

@@jessiquoi I am glad yours went away. I do try to not imagine the worst but you know how it is lol Thank you for replying. Your surgery went well I hope.

@@Miss Mac Thank you for replying. I am 51 so I am finished having kids thank goodness. Thank you for being on these forums and always being so open about your life. You have helped many people get over a rough spot or two. I appreciate your openness and honesty.

Summer

This is startling news and definitely hard to hear right after sleeve surgery. Ovarian cysts are indeed very common, so don't cause yourself tons of worry. Many, many women get these every month and never even know they are present.

I would not jump to the big C as a cause of worry. The urgency is usually not about cancer, but the threat of the cysts rupturing, which would require emergency surgery. The size and location of the cysts is more than likely what they are concerned about. Everything will be fine. I'll say a little prayer for you and please let us know how your appointment goes tomorrow.

I went to the GYN today. She looked at MRI results and did an exam and took a couple of biopsies. She then told me that I have a prolapsed uterus and 2 large cysts in the area of my right ovary. She highly recommends surgery for removal of my right ovary and due to thickening and prolapse she will also do a hysterectomy. The cysts are so large that it will need to be done by laparotomy (open incision). She also ordered blood work for CA-125. Results should be back from everything by the beginning of next week and then we will schedule surgery.

Thank you all for your prayers and I hope you all are doing well with your weight loss.

Summer

Summer, thank you for this update. It sounds like your OBGYN is on top of everything and that you're in good hands.

Thanks for the update Summer! Please keep us posted on how you are doing!

Had hysterectomy with right salpingo-oophorectomy today. Thank you for your thoughts and prayers. Am feeling well and I am hoping to go home tomorrow. Doc said everything looked pretty good. I hope you all are doing well.

Happy Holidays!

Summer

Hey Summer! I'm so glad to hear from you. I'm glad the surgery is over and that you're on your way to recovering. I'm sure you'll be feeling much better very soon. =)

Hey Summer! I'm so glad to hear from you. I'm glad the surgery is over and that you're on your way to recovering. I'm sure you'll be feeling much better very soon. =)

Thank you!