Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My pain was a 5/6 when I woke up...which isn't horrible to me. I walked the halls 3 times and was released the same evening. I will say the worst pain was sneezing on Day 2.

I had pain. I was on morphine in the hospital and hydrocodone at home. I have had other surgeries, broken bones, etc, and didn't expect much pain. I don't know why some have it and some don't. Things are good now though! (As long as I eat properly!)

I have had gallbladder surgery, appendix surgery, birthed 2 8#+ babies, had over 30 steroid injections into my spine, and have 4 discs completely eroded in my lumbar spine resulting in 2 nerves trapped between 2 bones that constantly rub on the nerves and I woke up from my sleeve surgery in major pain. I cried for the first 2 hours in recovery and couldn't get the pain under control for a long time. All of my devious surgeries I woke up in tolerable condition. The sleeve surgery was nothing like my other surgeries. Once they finally got the pain controlled it stayed controlled from then on. Hopefully they start you on a good pain control regimine and you don't experience any of that.

When i woke up from surgery I told them I had no pain to which they looked at me like I was insane and actually argued with me about it and said I had to be in pain considering I had the surgery along with a hernia repair at the same time. I was insistant that all i felt was pressure, and so they gave me plenty of drugs for the pressure I was feeling. I was walking in less that 2 hours afterwards and normal walking at a quick pace, not slowed at all. I say it is possible to have no pain after it, some of us have higher tolerances than others.

When I woke up in the recovery room I was in mild pain I remember asking the nurse for help.

When I was later taken to my room I would rate 4 on a pain scale. I was mostly nauseous I slept most of the time, never being up for more than 10 minutes. It wasn't until 24 hours later I started to feel much better the doctor said it was probably the anesthesia getting out of my system.

I did have a sleeve and repair to my hiatal hernia. Overall it was less pain than I had imagined.

4 days after surgery I stop taking my pain medication as it was not necessary and I felt like it was just making me drowsy

I've been a little depressed about this pain /trouble with surgery issue. I've had NUMEROUS surgeries.. No problem. 2 natural child births.. not too bad (but NOT fun) Knee surgery was awful but LATER. I thought that THIS was going to be a cake walk. SURPRISE!!! I had my sleeve on 12/2/14 and woke up rolling and crying from pain. I was this way for almost the first 36 hrs. WTH?? It. Was. Awful. I was so full of regret/remorse. I would not/could not walk. My surgeon and one of the nurses said "wait until tomorrow. It will be SO VERY MUCH BETTER". And guess what??? They were right.... But god almighty... That was tough. I did have a hiatal hernia and another hernia from my previous completely open (not very painful) hysterectomy. Also, a good friend had her surgery on the same day, and she was doing cartwheels down the hall the same day. Once again I wondered WTH!! Why am I so broken and wrong? Now I am fat AND I can't drink Water ever again or eat queso. It was a hellish 36-48 hrs and I really don't think that ANYTHING would have made me feel better EXCEPT if maybe just maybe I wasn't alone with this situation. I don't want to scare anybody so I hesitated about posting this....BUT if somebody else has this experience please please here me, us yelling to you through the pain, confusion, and regret ... YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!! WE ARE HERE!! IT WILL GET BETTER!! I Promise❤️

Edited by scootie

@@scootie my 36 hours I was a mess too. My pain was only a 4, but my nausea was an 8. I couldn't stay up for more than 5 mins I made myself keep going back to sleep because being up sucked. Then boom I finally woke up feeling 100xs better my surgeon said all the anesthesia finally cleared my system. I started taking walks alone and so on. I barely requested pain meds from the nurse that night. Anyhow yes it totally gets better!

No i stopped taking my pain meds on day 4... everyday it got better and better.

I had a breast reduction about 6 years ago and was sleeved on 11/26. This was a cakewalk for me compared to the reduction. I woke up at about a 5 on the pain scale and was quickly given my morphine. I was up and walking a few hours later and had very little nausea. I went in on a Wed and was back to work (desk job) by Mon. But, I think it varies a lot from person to person and on your doctor. I was super scared about post op pain so maybe because I imagined it so much worse, it didn't seem like a big deal. Maybe I had an amazing surgeon. Maybe I was just really lucky. I think it's all kind of a crap shoot but I hope yours goes as smoothly as mine did :)

I was sleeved 12/5/14 and went home the next day. I was in a little pain due to the gas I also had a hital hernia repair. I started walking a couple hours after surgery because the faster I did the faster they could do the swallow test and check for leaks, that way i could have something to drink after that. My mouth was SO dry! My pain was 5-6 out f 10. i had the bad shoulder pain from the gas. I am 4 days post op now. Yesterday I had really bad acid reflux, it about made me cry. I still have it today but no as consistent and not as intense. I have taken rolaids, tums and mylanta which none have helped. what did you take to relieve this?

Also I have this sharp painat times it comes and goes. It's like a burnin sensation but its stays in that one spot, diaginally up left from my belly button. I don't know what it is but it started today.I can barely run my finger over it and it hurts. Anyone know what this is??

How long after surgery did you stop feelling bloated and the swelling of the stomach went away?

Thanks in advance!!

I had a ventral hernia repair the year before my VSG and I think the hernia pain was more intense, though even that wasn't too bad. With the hernia patch, I found it much more difficult to get up. I also found the VSG recovery time to be much faster. Although I was not a fan of the catheter. Cursed object! :)

I was sleeved on a Monday, home by Wednesday afternoon, and clothes shopping on Friday! I took it very easy the whole time, no heavy lifting or quick movements, but I found the recovery to be incredibly fast. The VSG really felt like I did waaaay too many situps, which made a dull pain whenever I tried to get up from sitting or lying down. I found that sleeping on a recliner made it much easier to get up.

Edited by AlwaysVegas