Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

In the appeal process.. Advice and support needed!

I made my first call to the surgeon in March and had to wait until April for my appointment. My BMI was a tiny smidge under 40. I did the nutrition classes, seminars, psych evaluation, and a 6-month supervised diet. I also had a sleep study done and found out that I have mild sleep apnea. My BMI got down to the high 38's during my supervised diet. My surgeon's office turned in all of the paperwork.. And I was denied. A little over a month later, my BMI is just above 40. Now they are submitting the paperwork again...

I have my hopes up high after reading all of the posts on this amazing site.. And having my hopes up high scares me. I pray that I am approved. I cannot live like this any longer. I feel like I am living a kind of half life, where I am not fully living. I've been so touched by each of your stories - your incredible optimism, support for others, vulnerability, hard work, honesty, and dedication.

I think I just want to ask for you to please cheer me on and support me as I work through this process. I am scared of being denied again. Support, good thoughts, and encouragement would be so welcome, sleevers.

Thank you!

I wish you all the best! Hang in there it can be a draining process for sure. Your defiantly not alone. Good luck!

I went through the same thing at first. My dr office wS wonderful to follow up the moment the claim was denied. They already had a second request issued before I received anything in the mail. I followed up with phone calls and kept a note pad in case I was advised of something I could write everything Down to insure they had everything they needed within a quick amount if time. I was lucky very lucky my first request was issued and denied the. Reissued with additional documentation that had been requested and next approved all within a little over a week. It was a scary stressful week. Take action to help assist in anyway possible and if at first it is denied ask specific questions. Sometimes it's all in the way things are worded. I am Greatful my dr office was on board as much as I was and once approved we all were excited. I'll say a prayer yours goes through. Stay focused and positive.

Thank you so much, Athena. I'm trying to hang in there. I know I can get through this, but the stress of another possible denial is really tough. It's been eight months of working and waiting. It's good to know that others, like you, have been there and that it all worked out eventually. I'm taking deep breaths and thinking good thoughts. I'm looking forward to being nervous about the surgery rather than the approval process.

And don't be afraid to call your insurance company yourself to get the status and ask how you can help. We we're actually in the waiting period when I called just to follow up during my lunch break. At first if was told it was denied. When I explained that I knew it was origional my denied but had been resubmitted for reconsideration she told me to hold...the. Said oh I see here yes it's approved and gave me the approval code. :)

Yep yep. Sleeve 11-4 all going splendid except for my battle with nausea. It's not so bad now however I still have my days. Have faith and say your prayers.