Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi! My name is Joanne, this is my story:

I decided back in March of this year(2014) to have the roux-en-y gastric bypass surgery after struggling all my life with weight issues. I am 66 years of age and am finally going to try and be healthy. Life has not treated me so kind child abuse and a strict upbringing. As soon as I could I got married and got out of the house but of course that marriage ended in disaster and divorce after 2 1/2 years. Then the 2nd marriage and 2 kids and another divorce. Then yep, the 3rd marriage by this time life has taken it's toll and I am now in my 50's this marriage was a total disaster! It ended leaving me a widow. I was born and raised in Pa. and by now was ready to leave that state so I moved to Tampa, Fl. My whole life changed! I am now in a relationship with Jim and we are planning to get married next year. I now have a fairly stable life and can devote the time and attention to ME for a change so I can get healthy. When I started this journey I could barely walk a half block with a cane (hip problems), standing at the kitchen sink for more than 10 mins was torture (back problems), I had trouble doing everyday household chores.

My Doctor is Jason Radecke at the Sebastian weight Loss and surgery in Sebastian, Fl and I can't say enough good things about him. Every Dr. in the world should be like him, he really truly cares about his patients. I wasn't too happy back in March when I was told because I had Wellcare *** medicare I would have to have 6 months of visits under my belt before I could have my surgery, not to mention because of heart disease in my family I had to see an cardiologist which led me to a heart catherization and beta blocker meds. Then came the psychiatrist that had to approve me, then the pulmonary because of sleep aphnea of course now they require an endoscopy so that was done just before surgery.

Ok, now lets get to the surgery itself. My surgery was done just this past November 20 at 9:30 am at the Sebastian River Medical Center. Everyone there was super nice! I was supposed to be there for 3 days but came home after 2 because I was doing so well. I couldn't sleep in the bed it was very uncomfortable for me so I slept in the chair. I was out of bed within hours after surgery and walked the hall. My Dr. was surprised to see me sitting in the chair using my laptop when he came in to see me in the morning. Painful, yes! Luckily I can tolerate pain very well (after all most of my life was some kind of pain). I did not have the gas pains other people told me they had or any nausea (to this day). I am still on a full liquid diet but hope that changes soon when I see the Dr. it will be 4 weeks since I had any food. It's all been liquids. Luckily my daughter made us our Thanksgiving dinner on Nov. 8th just before I started the pre- surgery liquids. I was so happy, I lost 15 lbs in the 10 days before surgery. Now I am not so happy, because they pushed iv's etc when I can home I had put it all back on. Now I am struggling to get that 15 lbs off and anxious to start losing some real weight. I was kind of discouraged by this but I guess I have to be realistic and it's only been 10 days since surgery. I didn't expect to lose 50 lbs already but putting the 15 lbs. back on was not encouraging. So as you see I'm just starting my journey. Soon I will be on pureed and I am looking forward to it, finally FOOD! I do not have an appetite but unfortunately my taste buds haven't died. This is a big change for me Food was always there to comfort me now I don't have it. Did I tell you I am an emotional eater? Food has played an important part in life since childhood now I have to find a way to eat to live and not live to eat, big challenge for me!

If anybody reads this blog please write back and let me now about you and your journey.

Joanne :rolleyes:

Hi Joanne. May I just say that you are officially my new heroine! With everything you've been through and survived in your life, I see nothing but success in your future. You already have everything you need to be successful at weight loss, starting with a super positive attitude. Just keep doing what you've been doing and you will go very far. Best of luck to you!

Thank you, good luck to you also!