Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long did you have to wait before being able to drive again? My wife and I are having Sleeves done on Wednesday, Dec 3rd, and have a Burn Survivor Christmas Party for my son on Sunday, Dec 7th. It is a very important party for him, as Santa comes on the back of a fire truck and gives him his first Christmas present. Three very important things for a 6 year old burn survivor. Will I be able to drive my family to the party?

I flew 2 hours and then drove 1 hour on day 3. I drove 5 hours in a snowstorm on day 4. I could have driven the day after surgery, but I had no reason to. Of course I was not on any pain meds, so that may dictate your driving status.

My only restriction will be no driving while on the pain meds....and...I'm December 3rd too! Good luck!

I didnt feel 100% alert/ready to drive for about 1 week, but could have the day after surgery.

It's all going to depend on how you feel, from what I hear everyone is different. If you can't drive you could always take a cab or get someone to drive you.

What's considered "off pain meds"? That's what my instructions say too, and I wasn't sure if it meant being off of them for a day, a week, 12 hours or what.

When I've had past procedures, no pain meds just means the last dose must be worn off by the time you drive. So, depending on the meds, 4-12 hours.

I drove a week after my surgery and had some pain only because I have a sedan and trying to get in and out was difficult. I had no issues stepping up in my husband's truck. Just another thing to keep in mind. I was also super exhausted after my surgery. I had surgery on a Wednesday and released on Friday. I was still wiped out by Sunday.

*disclaimer: I do NOT recommend doing what I did. I am one tough woman. Would've taken any other option if I had one, but I didn't. Twice.

Band surgery was an hour away.

Band was supposed to be a day surgery. Daughter came with me. She's sight-impaired so can't drive but I had to have someone with me. She was my only choice. I though: day surgery, no prob. Had already been through 4 (ortho) with no probs.

after surgery in recovery, was in so much pain- couldn't deal. They tried to feed me liquid morphine but I was SO um, off-the-chain in pain, like I'd never felt before, I spat it out. Tasted like chit on top of the pain and I wasn't hearing that it would help. Wasn't hearing anything at all. I guess it was the gas-pain from being blown up like a balloon. The surgeon told me she'd do that but didn't tell me anything about what it might feel like. Mind you, I've been through some serious pain before that- thought I could handle anything. Guess not.

Stayed overnight. Excruciating. Just wanted to lay down. They wouldn't let me. Rough night. Daughter slept in the recliner next to me.

Next day, felt a bit better, got discharged. Wheeled to the exit & I drove all the way home.

When I got my total hip replacement 4yrs later, had a ride arranged between other daughter and her hubby. I drove down w/ my car & they followed for the surgery, then went home to take care of the kiddies & my pets. Plan was for her to drive me in her car & her hubby, drive my stick home.

I gave her my purse to hang onto which had a new script for pain killers to get me through to surgery (a few days). when I was back inn the room, they gave me my purse back and I saw more than 1/2 painkillers were gone. I called them on it. Her hubby took them. There went my ride- he played the anger card on me and told me he wouldn't be responsible if anything happened to my car on the way. Forget THAT!

So my dad who stayed with me in the hosp 4-5 days, lied & said he was designated driver, at 86yo. So we wheel-chaired out to the car, he got in driver seat, got out of parking garage and a lil down the road & pulled over- we switched.

Mind you, it was my left (clutch) hip replaced. I know, not wise but I'd probably still be there waiting for a ride if I didn't do that. then drove most of the hour homeward bound.

IMHO, Sometimes, you've just got to toughen up and do what you've got to do.

I took it easy in slow lane and when we got back to familiar territory, pulled over & let him drive the rest of the way. He would've never navigated that "city driving" so I did.

Like I said, not recommended. Hopefully, will never have to again.

My dr said 48 hours after last dose of pain meds...

You can drive as long as you're not on pain medicine. If you're in any pain, just bare with it until after your son's party.

It was about a week before I drove. I just felt too spacey before then.

I would probably try to at arrange for a ride if you can. I am 18 days post-op. I drove again at one week. I probably could have handled it fine at about 5-6 days but my hubby wasn't comfortable with it. I think you're cutting it close as to how you will feel. It really could vary for how you feel. I didn't take any prescription painkillers after 5 days post-op. Definitely could not have driven safely on the prescription pain meds they sent me home with.

Just got back from three party. My mother in law drive us, but I did pick up my car from the hospital on the way home. No pain meds today, but gonna take some to knock me out once the kids are settled in. Was so worth the little pain to see the looks on their faces when Santa got there!!!