Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have days at 10.5 mths where I just don't follow the rules. What I mean is I find it really hard to get in all my Protein, average is about 45grms - don't do shakes :) I get so tired thinking about what to eat. I am ok with liquids. Does anyone else's have a hard time following the rules??? To date I have lost 100lbs...

I'm only 4 weeks out and I struggle with getting my Protein and liquids in. I feel like I'm still obsessing about food but in a different way.

It sounds like you're being successful... but why do you not do shakes? Have you tried the fruity flavored Protein supplements? I'm kind of addicted to Nashua nutrition's health smart Pink Lemonade liquid Protein concentrate. It's ugly, I tell you. :) And Quest Brownie Bars and chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bars.. Pre-op, those are the only way I can hit 100 grams of Protein a day.

I am around the 100 pound mark too and, yes, I have trouble following the rules. It is hard and tedious trying to plan meals. I do know that this is what I signed up for and I hope this feeling will pass.

I think (or at least like to think) that everyone struggles with this at one point or another. Do your best. It seems you are successful so far and am sure you must not be straying from the rules but so far.

I wish I had some advice for you. All I can say is that I hope that this will pass for you soon!

I was sleeved 2 months ago. I just can't get in my Protein quota without having 1 Protein shake in unsweetened soymilk, totaling 28 grams. So, I make it taste good with sugar free flavorings. No problem at all!

Quest Cookies and cream, 21 g Protein every day. only chance i have of getting it all in.

i find that on the weekends, when i'm not at work and on a strict schedule, it's much harder for me.

At 3 months out I am the same. I still do my Protein Shakes too. I have no idea as to how many grams of Protein I am per day. I just make sure that I have at least 1shake a day and protein at every meal. I do lots of omelettes,lol.

"following the rules" is not hard for me. Mindless eating is what allowed me to become overweight in the first place. Once my food allergies became an ongoing problem, planning my food became a matter of common sense if I wanted to stay alive. Perhaps come up with 2 or 3 typical food days that fit your lifestyle. I have a few I know I can do by heart. I don't mind doing a shake a day. I use it pre-workout. This way I have the energy to go hard at the gym and I get at least half my Protein needs before noon.

Well, this all sounds pretty familiar, doesn't it?

I'm bored.

I don't want to follow any rules.

This is too much trouble.

I want to do what I feel like doing at the moment.

How'd that work out for all of us before WLS?

If we want the same results we had before, I think we can just go ahead and do the same things we did before.

Edited by VSGAnn2014

I'm 11 months out and I do have a large (24-32oz) protein/fiber smoothie everyday. I'm getting 30-40g Protein from that so I DONT have to think about what I eat the rest of the day. I am free to eat healthy, balanced meals and Snacks, basically whatever I'm in the mood for, whether it's Protein or fruit or veggies or whole grains. I also fill a 32 oz Water bottle in the morning and make sure it's gone before I go to bed so between that and the smoothie, I'm not thinking about fluids, either. Anything else I drink during the day (coffee, tea, juice, Vitamin Water, etc) is just bonus.

Personally, I like creating new flavors with all my shake powders, Torani syrups, and fruit....rarely have the same thing more than a couple times/month. But if you aren't a fan of the drinks, how about adding a Quest bar into your day? That's 20g protein with just one snack. Or if you are easily able to get in enough liquid, how about adding GENEPRO protein to whatever it is you're drinking? I have never used it, but people rave about how well it mixes in anything and has zero taste.

In any case, it sounds like you've had luck losing weight, now you just need to find a way to maintain and still remain healthy (and happy). Finding a way to make postop life simple and easy = long term success.

I'm 11 months out and I do have a large (24-32oz) protein/fiber smoothie everyday. I'm getting 30-40g Protein from that so I DONT have to think about what I eat the rest of the day. I am free to eat healthy, balanced meals and Snacks, basically whatever I'm in the mood for, whether it's Protein or fruit or veggies or whole grains. I also fill a 32 oz Water bottle in the morning and make sure it's gone before I go to bed so between that and the smoothie, I'm not thinking about fluids, either. Anything else I drink during the day (coffee, tea, juice, Vitamin Water, etc) is just bonus.

Personally, I like creating new flavors with all my shake powders, Torani syrups, and fruit....rarely have the same thing more than a couple times/month. But if you aren't a fan of the drinks, how about adding a Quest bar into your day? That's 20g protein with just one snack. Or if you are easily able to get in enough liquid, how about adding GENEPRO protein to whatever it is you're drinking? I have never used it, but people rave about how well it mixes in anything and has zero taste.

In any case, it sounds like you've had luck losing weight, now you just need to find a way to maintain and still remain healthy (and happy). Finding a way to make postop life simple and easy = long term success.

In a way you are thinking about what you eat. You just aren't overthinking it. You have to have some sort of plan. Your plan is simple, get the protein in early, drink water through the day. make healthy food choices. It really doesn't have to be more detailed than that.

I am having trouble following the rules also. I was sleeved in November.

I am having a really hard time drinking all of the required fluids. I almost can't stand anything flavored anymore because everything is sweet -- flavored drinks, shakes. I mostly enjoy Water now, but still have to force it. I never was a huge drinker before so it is hard to keep this new habit going.

I am only eating three meals a day also. I find it hard to eat four. They are balanced like they are supposed to be, but it is one meal less. I also never ate a lot before -- I just made really bad decisions about what I was eating. I didn't eat large quantities though. I always got full before others were just getting started.

I also need to be exercising, but haven't done that much either.

I'm going to have to really buckle down and make sure things things get done every day. I would appreciate any words of advice or wisdom that anyone has to share.

Edited by Tashabella

@@Tashabella - If you think you still need supplemental Protein, try the unflavored Protein, like Prosource, Isopure, Un jury or GENEPRO and add it to Soups & broth instead.

As for drinking Water, try setting alerts on your phone. Something like drink half a cup every hour.

As for exercise start simple. Google for quick workouts or check On Demand with your cable provider. Look for 10 - 15 min work out. Do them in the morning and in the evening. You'll have 30 minutes of exercise and not even feel it. If you need to go simpler, get some really light hand weights. 3lbs -5lbs would do. Walk the length of your house 3 times a day holding the weights. Swing your arms slightly as you walk.

HEY GUYS, IM 3 MONTHS OUT AND IVE BEEN DOING HORRIBLE. IM NOT SURE IF ITS BECAUSE OF STRESS THAT RECENTLY OCCURED BUT IVE BEEN EATING NOTHING THAT I SHOULD. AND ALTHOUGH I CANT EAT MUCH OF IT ITS STILL BAD THAT IM EATING ANY OF IT. IM ALSO HAVING A HUGE LAZY ISSUE WITH TRACKING THE food I EAT. I HAVE THE APP BUT I FORGET ALL THE TIME. I CANT STAND shakes ANYMORE EVEN THOUGH MAYBE I NEED TO GO AHEAD AND GET BACK THEM. IM STALLED AT A TOTAL LOSS OF 75 BLS, 50 OF IT FROM SURGERY. I NEED HELP. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS OF HOW TO STAY ON TRACK? I DONT WANT TO END UP STRETCHING MY STOMACH. MAYBE I NEED TO TAKE UP A HOBBY THAT KEEPS MY FINGERS BUSY SO THAT I DONT EAT. BUT I ALSO HAVE AN URGE TO EAT WHEN IM AT WORK AND ITS A STRESSFUL DESK JOB

@@Evanaroyale (and the other posters): Hi - If only there was a magic potion or a super spell ! :unsure: I'm only 4.5 months out, but I haven't discovered any really good tricks other than a burning desire to succeed after 50 years of non-success! (I went on my first diet, Atkins, at age 6 and I am 56 now.) I think it's ALL a head game, not a stomach thing with this surgery (except of course for medical complications, which thank goodness I have not had). A few Snacks that I like and seem to work for me -- Jerky (I get it at GNC because it has less chemicals than the kind at the grocery store), unflavored fat-free Greek yogurt (I'm sick of sweet things, but sometimes add fruit or splenda), and cheese sticks. Another motivator for me is the gym. I set little personal challenges, like increasing the weights on the thingamajiggy by 10 lbs in 2 weeks, increasing the speed on the rower, and, of course, the 2.5 min plank challenge (my current obsession).

Put your mind in gear and the rest of you will follow!! You can do it!! Don't give in or give up!

Ellen