Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Complications

Hello my name is Kellie Schmidt. I had RNY bypass in 2003 and lost over 200 lbs. I however got pregnant in 2006 2010 2012 and 2013 I also lost a baby in 2009. I had very stressful complicated pregnancy with all 4 due to malnutrition.

I am now dealing with severe fatigue, Migraines, dizziness, sweating and freezing, difficulty sleeping and forgetfulness! I went to the ER twice last week for Migraine and today went in again because I felt like I was going to black out...my legs went numb and I felt very dizzy.. anyway my hemoglobin is 7.6 that explains why I'm so tired! Just wondering if anyone else out there has experienced this and what are your suggestions? ?

I just read an interesting recent article. Not sure if same as what you are going through but may be worth a read. It is called spontaneous intracranial hypotension. Do you happen to be tall? Seems more common in tall people.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/284303.php

Hello my name is Kellie Schmidt. I had RNY bypass in 2003 and lost over 200 lbs. I however got pregnant in 2006 2010 2012 and 2013 I also lost a baby in 2009. I had very stressful complicated pregnancy with all 4 due to malnutrition.

I am now dealing with severe fatigue, Migraines, dizziness, sweating and freezing, difficulty sleeping and forgetfulness! I went to the ER twice last week for Migraine and today went in again because I felt like I was going to black out...my legs went numb and I felt very dizzy.. anyway my hemoglobin is 7.6 that explains why I'm so tired! Just wondering if anyone else out there has experienced this and what are your suggestions? ?

I had gastric bypass in 2013. It was a revision from lapband to bypass. Everything has been great as far as weight loss. I am pretty much at goal and have been for over 6 months now. But I have had issues that I question whether they are from the bypass. I never had these things before bypass.

I have "low blood sugar" attacks. I call them that, and my doc's office agreed it sounds like classic low blood sugar. But what happens is, first my thinking feels a little strange, weak...then my body is weak, I feel very dizzy, I sweat - immediately am wet head to toe, have to lay down. I was told to eat Protein every 2 hours, and sometimes I do forget to eat that often...but it has happened even when I had eaten about an hour before. I eat 2 string cheese pieces and wait for this to pass. It is really scary. It has happened twice as I was driving my car.

Next issue is that I have developed severe GERD. Never had it before, even with the lapband. I am on Omeprazole now. I have had bad gas lately too. I can feel it in my stomach and all thru my guts.

The worst thing that happened to me, and there is no research linking this with bypass, I developed an auto immune disease 4 months after surgery. It is Alopecia Universalis. It means that your immune system attacks your hair follicles all over the body and your hair falls out all over the whole body. I am 61 years old. It is very rare for this disease to start this age. It is a genetic plus environmental trigger type of disease. But I have been reading and 80% of our immune system in in our gut. And there are people who have found "cure" for alopecia by diet change. That isn't scientific, but I really wonder...I had allergies and had a weak immune system before bypass and I really think that the bypass pushed it past the point where the alopecia could come into activity. There is no cure but there are treatments and I have shots all over my scalp every month of steroids, which fight the immune response. I now have eyelashes and eyebrows back and some head hair, although I can't go out without a wig or hat.

That makes me wonder if I regret the bypass. I can't say I do. All my life my weight and my addiction to sugar have been a huge problem. As I got older it was harder to manage my weight and I am so happy to be back to my young adult weight again! Also, I do get dumping syndrome so I don't eat sweets at all. It has really helped me. Tracy

It MIGHT be possible you have a slow leak of blood somewhere in GI. There is no question that you need to talk to your surgeon. Do not settle for a PA or ARNP. Talk to the baraitric surgeon about your low blood count. I'm not saying that's it, but there was just an article in Bariatric times about it. Just a thought. Good luck.

I agree that low hemoglobin is serious and I would talk to your gastro doctor. I am very sorry for your loss of a child. I would get in right away and keep searching until you find all the answers and get your health back!! You need to stay healthy for those kids!!!!! Tracy