Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My surgery was on Monday November 24 at exactly 8 am. In toronto ontario. I got my sleeve rough smart shape by dr.neil orzech at a private hospital in don mills, toronto.

My surgeon has zero percent track record for vsg leaks or any serious complications, that was a big thing for me.

I woke up at 4:30 am to shower and get my shit together, I was so nervous but I just kept pushing on.

My fiancé and I left at 530 and was at the hospital at 630 am. I had to wait an additional 30 min to be registers because the registration office didn't open till 7, the nerves were horrible!!!

Finally at 7 I was checked in and sent upstairs to the nurses unit where cross the hall was the operating room. In hue he nurses unit i was weighed in, double checked paper work and was sked some questions.

The nurse, Svetlna, showed me my private room where I waited for my surgeon to come in and have a talk with me before surgery. He was very caring no sincere and my nerves melted away. I hen changed into my gown, got my blue booties on my feet nd put on my he surgical hair ever and walked into my operating room.

The operating theatre was very fancy looking. Nothing but the best of the best it seemed, every single person there, part of hone medical team, introduced them selves. I got on the operating table and my anesthesiologist told me that he will take good care of me. I was extra worried because I have atrial fibrillation and general anesthetic can cause an arrythmic episode.

My surgeon then came in NAND as he was talking to me my iv was started. He called for a "team meeting"around me and discussed my case with everyone. They were all so compassionate and caring. I was ready.....

The nurse then put an oxygen mask over me, and the nethesiologist told me gat im going to get sleepy now...and that's all i remember....

Upon waking up, I felt something hard being taken out of yay chest throu. My mouth. It was my breathing tube. I kept going in and out from that point. Once I was awake, still in the operating room, I started to vomit. But because I was so drugged up i was laying down, the nurses had to literally lift me up so I wouldn't choke on my vomit. I managed to open one eye at this point' and I looked at the mess i front of me and was shocked to see nothing but blood coming out....i quickly passed out after that.

I remember being moved to my recovery bed, and vomiting after that. I had to keep making myself sit up otherwise I would have chocked, and a hole doing so, I ripped my iv out. Blood was leaking everywhere along with saline. They gave me another iv and I had asked them to stop all pain medications. I would deal with the pain myself. The pain of vomiting just after having your stomach sliced and diced was painful enough. Anything I could do to reduce the vomiting, I would do....so they agreed.

Surgery went very well, it was an hour and a half. The reson it was so long isn't because I had a hiatal hernia, in fact i didn't have one at all. It's because my spleen was SO CLOSE to my stomach the hat the surgeon had to take extra care and ease not to damage it. My liver was nice and reduced and my heart didn't even flutter once during surgery.

The first 24 hours post op was painful and terrible. The vomiting up blood' dry heaves, lurching and gas pain was unbearable. I was in deep regrets. But I quickly sucked it up and told myself to toughen up. This too shall pas....

And it did. By the next day I was better. Hadn't thrown up since 6am and I even started sipping on Water. The acid reflux was bad, so they gave me some zantac thru the iv every 6 hours and that heed. As as able to go peek pass gas and walk around. Walking felt SO GOOD. It took the pressure off! Every single passing hour something got better and improved. I am now 5 days post op and am st rating to see a light at the end of the tunnel. That's my story. And I would do to to all over again if i had at out in a heart beat. I am 22 lbs down. And just taking it day by day.

Thanks for posting your story. I'm sure it will help others that want to know as much as possible before going into this "adventure".

Welcome to the Loser's Bench. :P

post-147109-0-11533700-1407802177_thumb.jpg

Damn that sounded scary. Mine went smooth. No complications. Didnt need pain meds.

surgeon then came in AND as he was talking to me my iv was started. He called for a "team meeting"around me and discussed my case with everyone. They were all so compassionate and caring. I was ready.....

@@deftonestiffany

wonderful that you had great experience with your doc et al :)

doc and staff were great :)

vomit, nausea - stuff like that happens :blink:

glad things turned around in a day or two

things should improve daily :)

you are on your way to a healthier, happier, longer life :)

good luck with your journey through sleeveland :)

continued speedy recovery

kathy

Edited by proudgrammy

@@proudgrammy

Oh shit, my bad. Shoulda sent u a draft before posting! I'll remember next time ;)

Thanks everyone for reading :) u guys r awesome.

@@proudgrammy

Oh ****, my bad. Shoulda sent u a draft before posting! I'll remember next time ;)

@@deftonestiffany

????

ooooops

what did i miss :wacko:

kathy

Thank you for your story. I myself have benign arrhythmia. And I too am worried about this during surgery. Thank you, a Thank you for your surgery. You make me feel a lot better ???? I'm scheduled 12/10/14