Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I will never eat sugar again.

I have been thinking a lot about how I want not only my stomach size to change, but that i want my dietary habits to completely change for the better. I believe in the power of habits and I need to use this tool to break many or most of mine.

I have been thinking about how I eat but also about how my kids eat, age 2 and 5. My son is five and is a very picky eater and very slim. His favorite food is an apple! My daughter is 2 and she is already a little plump, and she will eat anything you put in front of her and is a sweets aholic. I don't want then to have a weight problem one day and suffer the way I have.

For a long time I have worried about their diet. We eat family well, mostly whole food without any fast food usually, we don't drink soda and barely ever drink juice We eat out occasionally but mostly eat from home. The meals I make are fairly carb heavy but my kids usually prefer to eat the Protein unless it is spaghetti or pizza. We eat things like stew, chicken Soup, pizza, grilled cheese, tacos, spaghetti, lasagna, hamburgers, eggs, etc.

We eat a lot of desert sweets. We love to eat ice cream, cake, Cookies, fudge, candy, etc. we eat tons of it.

I want to take refined super totally off our menus and out of our house.

I also want to eat only lean protein and whole grain, unprocessed carbs, increase our vegetables and cut out pizza and juice altogether. I don't mind the kids eating wheat bread but I won't post surgery.

I'd like to replace the Desserts with fruit or yogurt or take them out entirely- which do you think is better? Is it easier to just go cold turkey and stop doing dessert? I was raised eating desert and I find I am programmed to crave sweets after eating. I was to undo this habit and not give it to my kids.

I also want to eat my last meal of the day by 6, 6:30 and be done for the day.

I've though about writing out some meal plans for us to follow for the first few months and would love suggestions.

Also, my kids take food to to school with them and I need ideas for healthy lunches that don't involve processed carbs.

Do you all think this is possible? Any advice? I'm worried my sweets cravings are going to make me miserable.

I also found a link to a bariatric food pyramid. Pretty awesome!!!

http://www.drsharma.ca/obesity-the-bariatric-food-pyramid.html

Edited by bellabloom

My kids are grown, but I can definitely sympathize -- (I'm pre-op sleeve...) -- we raised them on a lot of carbs, fast food was a regular treat, etc. Now they are in their early 20's and both, while not obese, are a bit overweight and fight it daily -- it breaks my heart into pieces to know that I could have done so much better for them, but did not, so I applaud your intentions while your kids are still very young --

I'd try not to make a big deal out of what you/your kids are NOT going to have, but introduce different foods to them gradually and make the switch w/o them really being aware of it. IE, fruit smoothies (add a bit of chocolate Protein powder if chocolate w/help) instead of ice cream, whole wheat carbs instead of white bread, roll-ups for lunch (maybe low-fat cheese and ham) - but also read up on their nutritional needs as they grow --

Anyway, kudos to you and best of luck!

Sugar is probably one of the prime factors in today's epidemic of obesity and diabetes. There are many more artificial sweeteners and natural sweeteners available on the market today. As a result, I believe it is possible to reduce your intake of sugar substantially. But it requires an understanding of what products to avoid.

There are natural sugars found in fruit juice and milk which are good. When it comes to fruit juice, I look at the ingredient label and verify (sugar, corn Syrup or high fructose corn syrup does not show up on the top five elements listed). If these appear, this is a sugar added product that should be avoided. Otherwise the fruit juice only contains natural sugars which is acceptable.

Artificial sweeteners such as Splenda and natural sweeteners such as Stevia are good substitutes. Splenda is good in baking because it is spoon for spoon replacement for sugar in recipes.

I use products that say "no sugar added". For example I still drink a hot cup of cocoa during the winter. But it is a "no sugar added" cocoa. I noticed that the grocery stores are even stocking "no sugar added" ice cream now.

I also use Adkins products, such as Adkins Treats. These tend to use sugar alcohols for sweeteners. I was diabetic prior to surgery and I am very sensitive about my blood sugar levels. So I periodically measure my blood sugar and these products satisfy my sweet tooth without driving my blood sugar level up.

Generally when I buy a product, I first look at the "nutrition facts" label and under Total Carbohydrate label, I look for sugar. If sugars are above 2 grams, I look at the "Ingredients Label". This tells me if processed sugars are a prime ingredient or if it is natural sugars. As a general rule, any ingredient ending in "-ose" is a form of sugar to be avoided. [The exception to this rule is sucralose which is Splenda.] Also corn syrup, corn solid, high fructose corn syrup, cane juice also should be avoided. If any of these ingredients appears in the first five ingredients on the food label, I avoid this product.