Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What the hell did I just watch. I swear YouTube can get you watching crazy things. I was watching A few videos on VGS and then I seen a video about dumping. Now my doctor told me a little about this( just started this process ). The videos that I just watch just scared the shit out of me. Now a few people were just a weeks post op but they would eat a small piece if something or eat to fast or maybe they would try something new and they end up feeling like they could die. What in the hell!!! I knew that dumping wasn't going to be fun but I didn't think that It would be like that damn crazy nether.

Dumping Syndrome isn't very common with the sleeve because nothing is rerouted. However, I had a Protein Shake with 23 g of sugar a week post op and had an episode. So there are "triggers" you can avoid. When I had my gallbladder out I had dumping from certain fats (sausage, popcorn with butter, fried foods) so I just avoided those triggers.

I get the dumping syndrome when I am really hungry and I foolishly eat to fast. I also get it if I eat certain foods like ice cream...So I don't. Sometimes I get it and don't even know why. But I know my body is telling me something and that is that I can no longer tolerate that food.

But I also have the Roux en Y so it is a combo of BP A VSG. I always drink a weak cup of tea after and it seems to help settle things down.

Happens maybe once or twice a month for me.

But it is true it is less likely with the VSG. :)

So far, my only trigger to dumping (Just over 2 weeks out) is sugar. I had a full calorie Vitamin Water with lots of sugar that caused me to dump. It's not a pleasent experience. I'm looking at this as a positive. It's great renforcement to not have sugar.

Same @@babelfish5 with me. If it causes me to dump. I don't eat it again...Makes perfect sense eh! :)

The dumping is real. I am a sleever and had a few episodes. I could not even drink sugar free drinks without feeling queezy. My episode was the foamies(spitting) and sitting on the potty at the same time. So, I am not even willing to try Crystal Light or even Vitamin Water at all. I was able to have diet green tea but I diluted that as well. Anything high in sugar is a no no. I also baked chicken skin is a no no as well. the other day I sauteed some onions and I got sick. I love sauteed onions but I cannot have them by themselves or I think it was the mayo.< /p>

Anyway, don't let the videos deter you. I know its hard.

My doctor warned me about "stacking" that sleevers can get. It's when you eat to fast and food sort of stack up in your sleeve. It feels like a big lump or knot that you can swallow. I had it happen to me once. I was eating macadamia nuts that someone brought me back from Hawaii. It wasn't painful, but it was uncomfortable. I couldn't even drink warm Water to get it to go down. I don't know if I ate too fast or if there was too much fat in them for my sleeve to handle. I've just made sure to eat nice and slow and leave the macadamia nuts alone.

It just all sound scary. I'm mean I've heard people say that before they could eat strawberries and now they throw up everytime they try one. I think this is the hard part of this while thing. Being scared to eat because you don't know what your body can't hand anymore. ???? I'm going to be eating chicken broth for the rest of my life????

So far everything I've eaten has been okay. I had some stacking with macadamia nuts, but dried them again and ate slower no problem. I only threw up once in the hospital. So either I have a cast Iron stomach or I'm just lucky.

I don't dump at all and can eat complete and utter garbage if I so chose. So food choice is all on me. There is going to be a point in time where you are going to test your sleeve and see what is okay and what makes you want to barf. You are going to eventually eat faster and eat more. But you have to reign that back in and keep in mind that the sleeve is not a substitute for will power. You have to keep it in mind to eat slowly. To make better choices. The sleeve can only do so much. It's one additional tool in your arsenal.

What is dumping I don't completely understand it?

"Dumping syndrome is more commonly seen with gastric bypass and caused by rapid emptying of simple carbohydrates into the jejunum-ileum, which leads patients to experience watery diarrhea, diaphoresis (extreme sweating), episodic hypoglycemia, abdominal pain, bloating, stomach rumbling, tachycardia, flushing, and nausea.

The syndrome is categorized into early or late, depending on when symptoms begin and their severity. Typically, signs of early dumping syndrome include gastrointestinal upset, diarrhea, bloating, sweating, palpitations, and dizziness. Late dumping syndrome generally includes hypoglycemia, fainting, confusion, and excessive hunger.

At one time, dumping syndrome wasn’t believed to occur with VSG because the duodenum remained intact. However, Tzovaras and colleagues demonstrated that VSG patients, when given an oral glucose challenge, can experience clinical symptoms of early or late dumping syndrome characterized by hypoglycemia, nausea, diaphoresis, and fainting.39 Therefore, patients should be educated about avoiding an excessive intake of simple sugars after surgery."

http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/050114p44.shtml