Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3&1/2 months out from my last surgery ( had massive complications) and have had depression for many years. Just recently started feeling better but my depression is kicking my ass. Therapy said its PTSD and I didn't like the exercises they wanted me to do. Any ideas?? Some days I don't get out of bed till early afternoon.

Thank you

Are you going to a therapist? And are you in contact with your surgical team?

Therapy just wanted me to do breathing exercises. Doesn't work for me. My surgical team can't help me with emotional issues

No I meant therapy as in a counselor.. not breathing exercises, which would maybe help with anxiety but wouldn't with depression. As for your surgical team, are they an all inclusive facility.. did you have to go talk to a Nutritionist, Psychologist etc? If so, I would definitely get in touch with the Psychologist and make an appointment to go in and talk to them. I would also call your Primary Care, your body may not be absorbing your medications (if you take them) as well as they did before.

That was from a psychiatrist (councilor). The stupid breathing exercises. My surgeon is an hour away and I see a nutritionist but the psy eval was done when I lived in Roanoke (3 hours away). I need to find a different councilor.

There are so many different kinds of therapists...you need to explore to find which kind suits you best (CBT, Transactional Analysis, Psychoanalysis, among others). I'm afraid there is no formula and it's rare to get it right on the first attempt. Just don't give it up and eventually you will find what is right for you. I believe the same applies to exercising - there will be something that feels right.

I understand not being able to get out of bed; but the more you stay in bed the worse you will feel. Take small steps, find things that interest you, make plans and try to commit to them. I'm not saying it's easy - I know very well how hard it is! - but it's doable. I think sharing with us was already a great first step!

Please let me know if I can help.

I agree with Mel. At least get up and get dressed. That usually works for me when my Depression is at it's worst , that and get some quality dog or cat time. Animals perk me up immensely and spending time with one seems to help. If I can be of any help.. like encouraging texts or emails or phone calls let me know. I understand Depression too well.