Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anybody getting hit with reality?

I'm getting closer and closer to getting a surgery date, I have one more class and my psych eval left before all the fun pre-op festivities. But I'm realizing things like this past Halloween is going to be the last I spend being the fat characters lol or this winter will be my last with my own insulation. I love winter because I'm dying in the Florida summer. Does anybody else get this?

Those things you are feeling you might miss will be replaced with kind of opposites. You will be open to more options for Halloween. ..not just the fat character. And while your insulation might go away, you will be so much more equipped to handle the Florida summer heat. It's a trade off that I'm certainly willing to make. Best of luck!

I'm in FL too! The summer heat (9months of the year) is brutal. Not to mention the humidity that goes along with it. Lol can't wait to get back to the beach and enjoying the outdoors instead of hiding from it. Good luck to you! :)

Thank you! I am super excited to be able to enjoy Florida summers again as well, I'm just not yet warmed up to becoming an icicle during the cold months lol! I'm looking forward to the new experiences in every aspect tho

Reality has hit! I am scheduled for surgery in two days!!!!! I am so excited, nervous, and my anxiety is a little high. I've heard myself saying this is my last this and my last that. I'm okay with my lasts! I know that I never want to feel so out of control again and I cannot wait until I am free of this extra weight. I did enjoy some weeks out with family/friends and I'll tell you I think I have eaten enough Mexican food to last a lifetime! :) Enjoy this time before your surgery date! Time really goes by quick. Best of luck to you! :)

I'm in the middle of my pre op work up. My next weigh in will be number 4 of 6. I go between "omg this is taking sooo long" to "omg, is this seriously happening? Am I really doing this?!"

It's a little unnerving. And I feel like I just obsess and obsess. I struggle with anxiety at times too and I've always been pretty high strung, but oh my dear sweet lord, I've never contemplated one thing so much in my life!!

Good luck! It's gotta be so exciting!

Hi GratefulLove, I obsessed and still do even 8 days post-op. From my first appointment to surgery day was 9 months of waiting. I felt like it would take forever to get here but honestly I am glad I had the time to really let it sink in. To be totally honest the day of surgery (11/20) I still wished I had more time. Surgery was hard... I was supposed to come home the day after on Friday and had a complication so I didn't come home until Sunday. My surgeon told me I was not consuming enough liquid so I could not go home. I think it may have a blessing in disguise because Friday night around 11 p.m. I spiked a fever 101.6), low blood pressure (74/37) and a high pulse rate (120). After blood work, cultures, and chest X-rays I had a bladder infection. Probably from the Foley catheter. I didn't anticipate the pain I would be feeling after surgery. I also had my gallbladder removed. However even after everything I would definitely do it again. I have lost 15 pounds in 8 days! I am surviving on approximately 185-200 calories per day. Depends on how many Popsicles I eat! :) Enjoy your time before surgery and get as much information as you can. You can never be too prepared. I wish you luck on your journey! You will do great! :)

Thank you sandy. I'll keep truckin' on through. How are you feeling today? How does "reality" feel after a week post op? Is it as easy or as hard as you thought?

I'm getting ahead of myself and starting to think about those shopping trips where I can spend $50 on outfits and then some rather than just a pair of jeans that fit. My husband is going to love the amount of money we will be saving after bypass. Grocery shopping for one and a toddler, then some Vitamins. I'm excited.

It is interesting you have the issues with the Florida heat. I had issues with that too... now it is the opposite. My wife used to freeze in the summer and winter. I would keep the air conditioning cranked so high in the summer and in the winter the heater turned so low... and I used to sweat like a cat in a room full of rocking chairs all the time.

Now, I never sweat and I look forward to the summer heat. And this winter, lots of fires and warm clothes... Enjoy the new you... you're worth it!

I start my pre-op diet this Thursday and I am just thinking about how every time I eat something that I will not be able to eat, how it is the last time I will be able to eat it. However, I can't wait.

I start my pre-op diet this Thursday and I am just thinking about how every time I eat something that I will not be able to eat, how it is the last time I will be able to eat it. However, I can't wait.

That's not entirely true... What are the things you're thinking you will never eat again?

For me it's about healthy choices and moderation really. What are your concerns?

I have a visit with my surgeon Dec. 9th to discuss surgery date. I am nervous and anxious at the same time. But like everyone here so ready to get this done.

I'm starting to get nervous too, I was thinking the other day as the closer it gets, do I really want to do this. It's getting so close the only two things I have left to do are my 4 hour pre-op class on Dec 8th, & my last 6 months diet documentation visit on Dec 16th, then they will submit to my insurance for auth request which takes 5 days. I pray I know something before Christmas.

Tshine, I'm the same way. I've got my husband on board and he's going through the whole process with me. Sometimes I get so nervous that something will happen to HIM in the operating room and it makes me so scared. Like..complications on my side don't scare me as much as thinking that something may happen to him because of MY bright idea, ya know?

The closer it gets the more excited I get. But the closer I get the more and more and more I think about scary parts. A year ago, I wouldn't have had a second thought. I knew I wanted a bypass and I knew as soon as I had insurance that would pay I would start the process and that would be that. Now i feel like I'm almost TOO informed lol.

Positive thoughts. This IS a good decision and I know that it will be okay! For you! And me! And my hubs. :). Keep the faith, girl :)