Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lucky # Sevens- July 07 Bandsters

Kathybad, our day is getting closer and closer. Where are you located? I am in Augusta, GA. Hot as hades here right now. I don't know how I am going to get walking in with temps in the upper 90's with humidities in the 90's. You get wet walking outside. It is like walking in Soup.< p>

I live in London, Ontario which is in Canada about 2 hours from Toronto. It is very humid... I hate humidity... sucks the life right out of you. I've had my A/C on since May 1st, and don't plan on turning it off until fall.

I am looking forward to our surgery date... it means the end of this awefull pre-op diet. I've been on it for 3 days and have lost 9 lbs, but only because it is so horrible. I feel nausious several times per day, and am starving.

Hi DIni,

I'm still up, cleaning house. When I realised I only have one week left to get it done before surgery and I start a new job the week after surgery I decided I had better kick it in high gear! I feel like I'm having the new Mom nesting thing going on. Plus I'm trying to stay busy and out of the kitchen!

Hi Jeanne,

Yes, everything I have purchased has been sugar free or made with splenda. I hate to increase the Riomet to 10 cc's until my stomach settles down.

How are you feeling? I am still getting tierd really easily - but, I am due to start work on Monday. What will I do without my naps????

Before the band I was on Avandamet 80/1000 twice a day and Junivia once a day - I tried Byetta - but, since you have to keep it cool I never had it around when I was going to eat -

My main incision - I guess the one where the port is - is still pretty sore. I haven't had any issues with any of the other punctures. I still look swollen. The doctor stitched up my hiatal hernia while he was in there also.

Are you hungry? I feel like I could eat anything....

Hey Lucky 7's!

I got back from the hospital today. My experience was stressful to say the least. On the way to Mexico, our flight was cancelled due to an engine problem as we were taxiing to take off. We luckily were able to get the last two seats on standby on the next flight which was two hours later. I was freaking out the whole time though because I was supposed to get to the hospital early and have the pre-op workup done and have surgery in the afternoon. The patient coordinator assured me that surgery would still be on but just pushed back a few hours.

So I ended up having surgery that afternoon and it went without complication and I was feeling good. But when I went to try some ice, I got about 6 ice cubes melted and swallowed and started feeling this horrendous pain and pressure in my chest. I got really nauseated and come thisclose to passing out. It subsided after about an hour and the doctor told me he thought it was a esophageal spasm from the cold.

The next morning I went for the contrast swallow x-ray and I could tell by looking at it that it wasn't going through the band. I also got the awful pain/pressure again. So to make the rest of this long story short, I had to go back in and have surgery again and had the band changed to the largest one(11 cc band).

Thank god the surgeon was so awesome (Dr. Valencia is the man!), and I was able to put my faith in him to get this done. I now am so happy to be at home and feel pretty good except for the gas which just started on the airplane home, great timing huh? I would never believe I would be so relieved to drink a few ounces of broth and Water, but it is SWEET after experiencing "the dark side"!

Now I have to go and catch up on all the post that I've missed for the past 3 days, 25 pages I think! Hope everyone else is doing well and please don't freak at reading this. My doctor said he only had this happen to one other patient in the past 10+years of banding people.

I am now an official member of the band, WOO-HOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations Dieka!

Doesn't feel wonderful to have it overwith and we can now start our new life! I am ready to go. I have to remember to go slow - 2 weeks of fluids is only 2 weeks of fluids.

I wanted to ask a question, just so that I can get to know everyone a little better. Could everyone introduce themselves such as where they live and married/single, occupation. I just thought it would be good for the newbies like me to get to know all of you that have been around here for a little while.

Nurse76: My name is Kathy. I live in London, Ontario, Canada. That is about 2 hours from Toronto. I'm 41 years old, married to a wonderful man and have 1 biological son and a soon to be adopted daughter. My son is 9 and my daughter is 3. I work in the food industry as a Marketing manger. I love where I work and what I do. I originally wanted to get banded 7 years ago, but chickened out. Now, weighing 285 lbs (when I started), I'm set to get banded on July 26th.

How long after the band can one drink alcohol? I know beer is out of the question due to the bloating it can cause but my doctor never said anything about drinking afterwards and I never thought to ask. Wine with dinner is nice but if it effects the band, the it's not something I will do. Thank you.

Hey ya'll! Just droppin in to see what's happening, and as usual, there's a lot going on! :high5:

I've been in and out of the house, and I'm heading out for the evening, so I'll be back later to talk more.

I'm sure there will be plenty to read and respond to.

BTW, someone asked about multi-quoting. Just click the Multi-Quote button on the posts you want to respond to, when you're done, click on New Reply. In your reply, you will see each post that you multi-quoted. Hope that helps.

Talk to ya soon. :)

Thanks Chimboree!!!

I've decided to tell people I have to have my hiatal hernia fixed. It's not a lie, as I've just learned that my surgeon fixes these while he is installing the lapband.

My biggest issue is that I work in a food company in marketing, which means a lot of taste testing. Now that I've started my pre-op diet, I'm not eating normally. Plus, when I have the surgery, I'm not going to be moving very fast at work (I only get 2 days off). So I needed something to tell my co-workers, otherwise the questions would become difficult to handle.

I'm also a huge "over sharer", so not saying anything would be very strange.

I've already told a few people about the "hernia" operation, and it seems to work.

Good luck to you!!! It takes an extra strong person to diet while working in the food industry.

Hey Lucky 7's!

I got back from the hospital today. My experience was stressful to say the least. On the way to Mexico, our flight was cancelled due to an engine problem as we were taxiing to take off. We luckily were able to get the last two seats on standby on the next flight which was two hours later. I was freaking out the whole time though because I was supposed to get to the hospital early and have the pre-op workup done and have surgery in the afternoon. The patient coordinator assured me that surgery would still be on but just pushed back a few hours.

So I ended up having surgery that afternoon and it went without complication and I was feeling good. But when I went to try some ice, I got about 6 ice cubes melted and swallowed and started feeling this horrendous pain and pressure in my chest. I got really nauseated and come thisclose to passing out. It subsided after about an hour and the doctor told me he thought it was a esophageal spasm from the cold.

The next morning I went for the contrast swallow x-ray and I could tell by looking at it that it wasn't going through the band. I also got the awful pain/pressure again. So to make the rest of this long story short, I had to go back in and have surgery again and had the band changed to the largest one(11 cc band).

Thank god the surgeon was so awesome (Dr. Valencia is the man!), and I was able to put my faith in him to get this done. I now am so happy to be at home and feel pretty good except for the gas which just started on the airplane home, great timing huh? I would never believe I would be so relieved to drink a few ounces of broth and Water, but it is SWEET after experiencing "the dark side"!

Now I have to go and catch up on all the post that I've missed for the past 3 days, 25 pages I think! Hope everyone else is doing well and please don't freak at reading this. My doctor said he only had this happen to one other patient in the past 10+years of banding people.

I am now an official member of the band, WOO-HOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

I am sorry you had a stressful experince! I am not surprised about the flight part, I have been flying a lot this summer and once had my lugagge get lost and the other time got stuck in Dallas for 27 hours! Flying is highly overrated. :rolleyes

I have been trying to stay busy all day, can certainly relate to the whole " nesting" thing. My house is absolutely spotless, and I even found time/energy to scrapbook, which I haven't sone in ages. I also went to the hairdresser to cover-up my charming grays before the surgery, and while I was there the owner of the salon had a huge fight with one of the stylists who rents the chair next to the one I was in, and kicked the woman out of there on the spot. I don't know what happened, but it was very uncomfortable and ackward. After that I went to the grocery store and it wa a painful experience, they were giving away tons of samples, and the smells in the bakery were divine... but I grabbed on to my cart ( literally) and moved on. I consider this a huge sucess, because I usually eat my way thry the store, and buy lots of crap on impulse.

Oh, I also took a 3 hour-nap in the middle of the day, whatever I have to do to stay away from the kitchen.

DH will get back tomorrow from his folks, I can't wait, I miss him soooo much!!!!

Nurse75:

I'm Rain and my husband is Squale. He got banded on 4/3/07 and has been doing phenominally well. He just had his first fill and is losing more and more weight. He's at about 65lbs down. He is awesome.

I'm a stay at home mom with three little girls ages 3, 1.5 and 1.5. They are the love of my life and will be the bane of my lab-band existance..They literally eat ALL DAY LONG... Well, they eat the way they are supposed to, but they eat at slightly different times, so there is a constant meal prep going on.

I used to be a HS English teacher, but am happily spending the days playing with my kids and teaching them everything I can. I feel lucky to have the opportunity to stay home...although we could really use the money!

Sorry if that was more than you thought.

Oh, and I live in NJ.

Rain

dieka32...

Welcome home and congrats on your surgery. I'm impressed with your positive outlook on it! That was a major concern of mine and actually asked the dr. why they didn't just do the barium swallow in the OR instead of waiting a few hours.

Don't remember his reason...think it had something to do with inability to swallow so soon after anesthesia.

Glad you are on the mend and have joined us again.

Rain

Hi Jeanne,

Yes, everything I have purchased has been sugar free or made with splenda. I hate to increase the Riomet to 10 cc's until my stomach settles down.

How are you feeling? I am still getting tierd really easily - but, I am due to start work on Monday. What will I do without my naps????

Before the band I was on Avandamet 80/1000 twice a day and Junivia once a day - I tried Byetta - but, since you have to keep it cool I never had it around when I was going to eat -

My main incision - I guess the one where the port is - is still pretty sore. I haven't had any issues with any of the other punctures. I still look swollen. The doctor stitched up my hiatal hernia while he was in there also.

Are you hungry? I feel like I could eat anything....

What did your sugars normally run, before the surgery? Are you typically high? 150 after you eat isn't bad. I am not familiar with the meds you listed, but I am sure you won't be on them long.:) Hang in there, it has to get better!!!! I do know I was sick for a month with both doses of Byetta and never did tolerate the second. I was on it over a year. I never "graduated" to the 10's. The doctor couldn't believe I was nauseous on it that long, but I was! First dose, in the morning was fine, but second one, I was sick for an hour in the evenings!!! Glad I am done with that!

Yes, I am sore, but getting much better. Able to get up and down much easier. Man, does my stomach itch!!!!:) I am sure it is the healing, but I don't enjoy it much!

I was hungry Sat., probably could have ate anything, but took about a 1/4 inch by 1/4 inch slice of cheese and felt much better!!!! Just kind of let it melt. I talked to another lady that was in with me and had the surgery the same day with the same surgeon and she is eating chicken and hamburger already!!! I know I could, but I am afraid to push it!! I have come too far to mess it up now ... besides I am losing on this and that is my motivation to keep going!!!! I did add Peanut Butter to my Carnation Instant Breakfast Dark chocolate mix today and also 1/3 of a banana and a scoop of vanilla Protein. Now that filled me up!!! I think that is the secret, to find a "concoction" that fills the void and keeps you from being hungry. I down sugar free popsicles and sugar free fudgesicles in between meals. I thought I could start mushies today, but when I went Friday, to be checked for blood clots, when I was leaving the dr. said he would "see me on Weds. and discuss our next phase of the diet!!!!" So I guess I am to be on this til Weds.!!!!! Oh well, I can do it! When are you off of this liquid phase? Mine doesn't include cottage cheese or eggs, that is mushy stage, which I will be on for 2 weeks. Then soft foods for a week. Then regular food!!!!!!!!!!!!:whoo:

Dini, Babes!!!! Sorry you were lonely last night, but had to tend to my man!!!! LOL You are such a sweet thing! Hope you are having a great day!:D

dieka, How scary!!!! I can't imagine two surgeries!!! But I do know I was only allowed ice "chips." You had cubes? I was allowed about 1/2 cup from time of surgery til next morning after the swallow test. They said they couldn't be sure where the Fluid was going until that test, then I was able to drink as much as I wanted. I sure hope you are feeling well and on the road to recovery!!!! Keep us posted!

Kathybad, How nice!!!! Are you adopting locally or from overseas? Adoption is very special, I know several people that have done that and it is such a blessing for everyone concerned!!! Is your son excited? I bet he can't wait! Do you get to bring her home soon?

cazulay, I feel your pain!!!! LOL My husband watched the food network the other night for over an hour. I finally had enough and got up and walked out to the kitchen (of all places to go! Our house isn't that big!). I said, not really the best show for someone that can't eat, he said you know I just thought the same thing, lol!