Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lucky # Sevens- July 07 Bandsters

The doctor did call me back and I am going into see here in the morning. She believes that it is a combination of heat and low sugar levels. I haven't been eating much cause I haven't been hungry so everything that I have been eating has been HIGH Protein. So she things that what happened is that the heat (it was 100+ here today and we dont have AC), being wrapped in the binder and the lack of carbs/sugar in my diet was a bad combo. So I am ordered to eat a VERY high calorie diet. She doesn't want me below 2500 calories for the rest of the week. I have to have a fan on me at all times and I have to put a cool cloth on my forehead and wrists every hour. right now I am out of my binder until I see her tomorrow. She is afraid that the heat is my major problem.

We are going into see her tomorrow morning and she will do a reevaluation then. She said that if I pass out again or I get shortness of breath or start throwing up that I have to go to the ER immediately. We live MAYBE 2 minutes from the hospital so we are good on that front. I will keep you all up to date tomorrow.

Denise - Thanks for the concern, but I actually asked my doctor if I could go to the store and walk around and she was very happy that I could get up and around. In fact she said that I could walk for 20 minutes at a time twice per day. I wouldn't slap you anyways...I know that we all care about each other here. I felt great all damn day...that was the frustrating part! I don't feel the greatest now, but I just keep drinking and eating. Yep...have to break the rules right now.

Phyl - Thanks for the Target heads up. We went and got 6 boxes of Cereal.< /p>

Oh by the way on the protein/carb thing...

Yes, Protein will turn to sugars through the digestion/metabolism process...but it is a VERY LONG process and most of the Proteins are broken down into amino acids(building blocks of proteins) to help form DNA, enzymes, and muscle fibers in the body. Once the body has reached the level of amino acids that it needs it will then convert the excess nutrients in to sugars which are stored in the liver. Here is the thing though...it takes a LOT of energy to break down proteins and even more to convert them into sugar so your body is using more energy than it would need to break down carbohydrates. Fat is the only thing that can't be converted into sugar. That is why when you plateau on Atkins they tell you to increase your fat levels and decrease your protein levels.

My opinion based on biochemistry is that proteins should be eaten with carbohydrates as it slows down the digestion process but proteins can be eaten by themselves.

Hope this wasn't too technical. Please feel free to post this on the other site.

Ruby,

Thanks for the encouragement. Together we can make it through this. I remember back in the fall when you were the H2O drinking QUEEN! Sip, sip, sip, lol You're a great reminder of my "lap band glory days" and I'm making an effort to get back to that.

Exercise log: 43 minutes drenched in sweat with my dog. YES!!!

Food: I went to my 1st WW meeting in about almost 1 1/2 years today. In less than a week of journaling my food intake, drinking H2O and walking I lost 7 pounds!!! YES!!! I'm back baby! What? I'm so hyped. I've always been a flex plan girl but because of the band, I think I might switch to core. I want to try the 5 day pouch test and if I do the Core Plan, then I'll be able to swing it, but.... I'm afraid of messing with a good thing right now ...We'll see what the coming weeks will bring.

Hi Lucky 7s....I have a couple of questions.

When is it ok to eat fruits that have a lot of Water in them like oranges or watermelon? Should they be eaten alone at all times or can they be eaten after your Protein when having a meal?

Also, what about Cereal? I see that a few of you are into eating Kashi but my PA said I can't have cereal because the milk will make it slip right through the band. Do you have it with or without the milk?

When is it ok to eat fruits that have a lot of Water in them like oranges or watermelon? Should they be eaten alone at all times or can they be eaten after your Protein when having a meal?

Also, what about cereal? I see that a few of you are into eating Kashi but my PA said I can't have cereal because the milk will make it slip right through the band. Do you have it with or without the milk?

I can't answer the question on oranges as that and rice make me stuck EVERY time. But I usually try to eat watermelon by itself as a snack or a dessert about an hour after I eat. I was afraid because it has such a high water content that it would be just like drinking. I suppose it depends on how much you can eat. I think I could eat a whole watermelon right now as I am unfilled!:redface:

I think some of the others do eat their cereal with milk, but ever since surgery I can't do milk. Therefore I mix mine with dannon lite and fit yogurt. I love it. It is the staple to my meal. You can actually do it with any flavor but I am boring and just stick with vanilla. It almost tastes like dessert. In fact now that I have to eat such high calories I often mix it with the honey and almond flax crunch Kashi FOR dessert.

Ruby,

Thanks for the encouragement. Together we can make it through this. I remember back in the fall when you were the H2O drinking QUEEN! Sip, sip, sip, lol You're a great reminder of my "lap band glory days" and I'm making an effort to get back to that.

Wow you have a better memory than me. :biggrin2: I'd forgotten that I'd made up all those little rules for myself to get into drinking my Water. Read a post - take a sip of water, read a chapter in my book - sip of water, an ad break on TV - sip of water. :thumbup: It's second nature for me now to have my water bottle with me so I'd forgotten what I used to have to do to make myself drink.

Exercise log: 43 minutes drenched in sweat with my dog. YES!!!

Food: I went to my 1st WW meeting in about almost 1 1/2 years today. In less than a week of journaling my food intake, drinking H2O and walking I lost 7 pounds!!! YES!!! I'm back baby! What? I'm so hyped. I've always been a flex plan girl but because of the band, I think I might switch to core. I want to try the 5 day pouch test and if I do the Core Plan, then I'll be able to swing it, but.... I'm afraid of messing with a good thing right now ...We'll see what the coming weeks will bring.

That's magnificent progress! I'm with you on sticking with what's working at the moment. You can always switch to the pouch test if things change. It's so good to see you on top of things again. :biggrin2: I love when a plan comes together. :smile2:

Karri - I seriously worry about you. :eek: The fact that you have a shadow eases my concerns. This heat is a killer, and the fact you have no A/C just astounds me. I was out in our yard the other day practising some Aikido with my hubby (I had my water bottle) and felt great and then all of a sudden my energy just disappeared and I needed to sit down. I felt like passing out as well. That's me and I haven't gone through surgery! You need to treat yourself as an invalid because right now you are. I know your doc said you can walk around for 20 mins twice a day, but she probably didn't realise you had no A/C so your core temp would no doubt be higher than if you were snuggled up to a cooler. T-A-K-E I-T

E-A-S-Y.

I'm starting the pouch test today. liquids all day for me today and tomorrow. Sounds simple enough. I can probably handle that. If I can't I'll make a kewpie doll of Phyl and stick pins in it for exercise and enjoyment for suggesting it. :ohmy:

I decided to go with the partial dentures yesterday. Denise, I know implants are the better choice, but I just can't bring myself to pay out that much money. I need something now. Partials are a fair compromise but they need to be a temporary fix-it. I will go for the implants at a later date when I can afford to spread the cost out over time. Thanks everyone for your input. I really do appreciate objective opinions.

I haven't been able to eat cereal since I was banded; with the exception of creamed wheat. I can't get any food in me in the morning's anyway. But there have been occasions that I've contemplated cereal for dinner. So maybe I'll invest in some of that Kashi everyone raves about while they're on special. OH, that reminds me. I wanted to thank you again Phyl for suggesting those papaya enzymes a while back. I love them. At times they're just what I need when I've had a PB session or my band is extra tight. They taste great and seem to pull me out of the I-feel-like-crap feeling. They're magic pills. It may save you from a couple of voodoo pins should this pouch test drive me insane. Maybe..... maybe not.:redface:

I've just started eating cantaloupe this week. I notice a couple of people on here have had probs with watermelon. I only eat a couple of pieces at a time for the sweet taste and to satiate my thirst. It's nice, but I don't want to overdo it and have it get stuck. I've had oranges a couple of times; chewed out all the juice and some of the pulp and spit out the rest. :redface: I'm just slightly paranoid about getting some fibrous things stuck. :smile2:

Mostly it's trial and error. See if something works for you.

Good Morning Ladies!!!

Phyl, no Target near-by. I'm going to Minot on Monday for an appointment and will see if it's still on sale then. I did pick up some papaya enzyme that you suggested and have used it once. I was afraid that they would taste awful but was pleasantly surprised. I'm not so worried about my long day being alone, but rather what I will do with my stuff all day. I'm sure it will all work out one way or another.

Ssankofa-- great job on the jumpstart! It's amazing what a little more focus will do for us. I need to focus back on the rules a bit this week. I'm going to start journaling my food again. When I had to write down what was going in my mouth I was a ton better about thinking about it before I ate it.

About the cereal and milk. I eat mine with milk but very little. A cup of cereal to about a half cup of milk. The kashi absorbs a lot of the liquid so it's not the same as drinking. My nut said it was a great way to add Fiber to my diet. And with the fiber cereal it actually puffs up in your stomach with the milk and is filling because of it.

Ruby -- glad you are happy with your decision. That's the important part. And once you have partials you will be able to chew so much easier.

Karri -- I hope all goes well at the doctor. I would guess that the heat and the low carb diet are the culprits. I know it's a scary situation. I'll never forget that horror feeling of not being able to see and hearing from a distance. It is very very scary.

Okay...off for a shower and to get everyone ready for the day. Today is a "work" day so the kids are going to daycare and I can focus on my website learning. My goal today is to learn how to make a drop down list of links. I'm hoping it isn't too over my head. Talk to you ladies later in the day.

I'm starting the pouch test today. Liquids all day for me today and tomorrow. Sounds simple enough. I can probably handle that. If I can't I'll make a kewpie doll of Phyl and stick pins in it for exercise and enjoyment for suggesting it. :thumbup: OH, that reminds me. I wanted to thank you again Phyl for suggesting those papaya enzymes a while back. I love them. At times they're just what I need when I've had a PB session or my band is extra tight. They taste great and seem to pull me out of the I-feel-like-crap feeling. They're magic pills. It may save you from a couple of voodoo pins should this pouch test drive me insane. Maybe..... maybe not.:thumbs_down:

15_4_127.gif

OUCH!! OUCH!! OUCH!!

Hey!

My Wii says I'm down 2 lb since yesterday morning! I'm in a really nasty mood, but the scale is going down.

But it could be DH who is in a nasty mood.

It may not be me at all!

I made it through DAY ONE!

I think I had four of my EAS Protein drinks

and one DH made with whey Protein, skim milk, pkg of splenda and about 1/2 cup of strawberries.

I had Campbell's Healthy Request clam chowder for dinner.< /span>

I survived! I'm back to logging everything in my FitDay software. I'd been slacking off on that.

Have a GREAT day everyone!!

15_4_127.gif

OUCH!! OUCH!! OUCH!!

Hey!

My Wii says I'm down 2 lb since yesterday morning! I'm in a really nasty mood, but the scale is going down.

But it could be DH who is in a nasty mood.

It may not be me at all!

I made it through DAY ONE!

I think I had four of my EAS Protein drinks

and one DH made with Whey Protein, skim milk, pkg of splenda and about 1/2 cup of strawberries.

I had Campbell's Healthy Request clam chowder for dinner.< /span>

I survived! I'm back to logging everything in my FitDay software. I'd been slacking off on that.

Have a GREAT day everyone!!

Oh Phyll!!! You have my sympathy. I couldn't go back to liquids for two days without a danged good reason. I hope you get the results you want. I haven't stepped on my wii fit for two days because I didn't like what it told me last time but I suppose I should buck up and get it done. You are so good for me.

I'll be thinking of you today.

Where the heck is Janet?????

The last time she posted was yesterday at work

when she said she hated her job??!!

Maybe she ran away!!???

7_6_6v.gif

I don't get stuck on anything except tougher meats like steak and chicken breast and that's usually only when I start my meal and not paying attention to the chewing. Even then, it passes within a minute and it just serves as a reminder to chew thoroughly. I'm fine eating oranges but its the liquid content that worries me. I think I'll stick with having it 1 hour after a meal like Kari said.

Yeah...where is Janet? Maybe she decided to get a head start on the rest of us and is already on her way to MofA.

Went to lunch with DH. It's his birthday. don't know what to get him. He never wants anything and if he does say he would like x he goes out and buys it before I have the chance. So I'm frustrated and feeling like a lousy wife. Offered to make him a fantastic meal but he said that he wanted to go out instead with his family. So now I'm stuck again. I don't know. grrrr.....

Working on my website and have a page for each of the kids up now. Trying to figure out how to do a dropdown menu but can't find the instructions because I really don't know what they are called. You know, where you roll your mouse over a link which drops down a box of 4 or 5 options to choose from. What do you call those...and no...not a drop down menu. grrrrr

frustrating day.

Where the heck is Janet?????

The last time she posted was yesterday at work

when she said she hated her job??!!

Maybe she ran away!!???

7_6_6v.gif

I wish I could run away to a beach on one of the islands - sounds good right now...

I am here - My son & family were here yesterday after work so I swam and visited with them last night and had 1/2 taco & 1/2 enchillada. Then this morning they had to go to the policie station to look at some photos so I had 4 yr GD with me at work til about 10 this morning - I was here trying to read - but she kept talking to me so I didn't reply the 13yr GD stayed with her GF I had to call her up and give her a hard time about not seeing me :thumbs_down:

They should be on their way home by now - sorta blue about that - but I am going to visit in the middle of August...

Pouch test - girls I don't envy you - I am not doing it - funny last night 1/2 taco was stuckest - today had salad for lunch no problem and ate the whole thing...

My weight is stable - did dip to 149.5 but not on my weigh in day so it didn't count (was 150 this morning) but sure did like seeing that 4 :biggrin2:

I eat cearal about once every couple of months and I don't care about the liquid issue - it's not enough to count - I eat real Soup (broth meat veggies tatos) same thing liquid with food - don't care. it's healthy and that's what I focus on - eatig healthy !!!!

I don't drink with meals or right after - I can't do oranges either the pith (the white stringy stuff) is too much for me (haven't tried in a while but since I am looser right now I bet I could) - but all the rest of the fruits i can do..

Karri - OMG you don't have a/c and it's 100 degrees - yep could be the heat and not enough food.. Let us know how the appointment went.

Well, I gotta do a big application - so better get busy... I will CBL:tongue:

I am a live and well - and thanks' for missing me :thumbup:

What a day. I am very tired and sorer today than I have been because we have been running around since 10:30 this morning. I went to the plastic surgeon and she checked out the scar to make sure that I didn't hurt anything during my graceful (NOT) fall yesterday. She was very concerned that I was still light headed and that my pulse was at 90. Normally it is at 60. She didn't think that it had to do with the surgery however. She said I lost VERY little blood. Her best guess was that it is a combination of the heat and low blood sugar, but she wanted me to get checked out by my primary care physician. The she removed the drain (will take pictures tomorrow) which didn't hurt too bad. I now know what it would feel like to have a moving snake under your skin though. It felt kind of weird. Then she gooped me up with neosporin and sent me on my way with the promise that I would see my other doc.

Alright...back in the car and headed back to our town. Called my doctor and described my situation. When the receptionist took the info back to the doc and the nurse they said there was NO way they could fit me in today and that I was to go to Urgent Care or the ER immediately. They were not happy with the fact that my pulse was so far away from normal. So we drove to urgent care where I had the DUMBEST doctor in the world. He said that your pulse being 30 beats per minute higher was not a big deal. He said it was just a big combo of everything culminating together that caused me to faint and that he feels that anyone that faints within 20 feet of bathroom has nothing to worry about. I still don't know how that can be true...just ask my very sore heiny, shoulder and back! So he did decide to run a few tests just to rule out anything substantial. (Great I should just start a tab at the local lab...just got a pre surgery bill for 138.00$ today) They did a urine analysis to check if I was preggo (he wouldn't take my word that I couldn't be even though they did the day of surgery...go figure...this guy was a real creep) and to see if there was blood in the urine. Both came back negative (yeah...coulda told you I wasn't pregnant) Then they did an EKG which turned out perfect. Finally they were going to do some blood work to check for anemia, electrolyte imbalance and Protein levels. This is where things got FUN!

I have pretty tiny veins so they had to poke me 4 times. Now I am not afraid of needles at all. The problem was the way they had me seated. My muscles were burning. I could literally see my belly swelling as I was sitting there because my PS doesn't want me in my binder except at night or if I am really sore because of the heat fact...so it was in the car. After almost 2 hours in the urgent care office...we were starving. So we finally got something to eat. I can't be below 2500 calories so I am going to have to drink some calories for the next couple of days.

Well I am tired and going to go take a nap with DH! That guy is amazing!