Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lucky # Sevens- July 07 Bandsters

Candice

Has it been bugging you since the fill last week or just cuz you woke up last night

How much did they take out..

I just got a fill last week and I think it's kicked in. The PA that did the fill also said that I've been eating the wrong way. She said I should have been eating 4 ounces of hard Proteins 1st, then veggies, then carbs if I had room. I was eating that all at once,...not to mention also having ketchup, etc. which is a lubricant. Yesterday is the 1st day I tried it after having a fill and seems to be working in terms of keeping me full longer.

Edited by ssankofa73

Candice

Has it been bugging you since the fill last week or just cuz you woke up last night

How much did they take out..

Janet: No its not been bugging me... I was quite happy with my fill of last week the 1/4 cc.... put me to 7.25 in a 10 cc band... but yest. my DH and I went out afor dinner to Chinese buffet... I was good! I ate 3 chicken wings, veggies, 1 egg roll and 1/2 cup of Hot & Sour Soup... WELL... the Hot and Sour Soup was REALLY Spicy! More than usual, and when I swollowed I noted that it was prickly on my band... now I wasn't stuck or anything... (ate at about 6 p.m)

I go to bed 10 ish... I awoke 2 hours later choking on my own spit!! So I went and took a gaviscon and a sip of Water, went back to bed... two hrs later... same thing... more choking, coughing... just couldn't swallow spit when I lyed down.

So after flopping and flipping I got up and sat in my Lazy Boy recliner with a quilt to sleep sitting up... no luck there either...

I was kind of frigtened too.

I just got a fill last week and I think it's kicked in. The PA that did the fill also said that I've been eating the wrong way. She said I should have been eating 4 ounces of hard Proteins 1st, then veggies, the carbs if I had room. Yesterday is the 1st day I tried it and seems to be working in terms of keeping me full longer.

Ssankofa: My fill was fine for the past 6 days, then this soup fiasco..

My Fill Nurse said to me today, when she De-filled my 1/4 cc... You are at your Sweet Spot ( I lost 2 lbs this wk) and that Spicy soup just irritated your BAND.. You have to stop eating spicy foods now that you have adequate restriction, as if the band is irritated it swells.... and in my case swoll shut... :)

So, I must be more careful from now on.

Another thing she told me (which I did not previously know) is that when you get a fill, you have to have Full Fluids the rest of the day... NO solid food at all.

Also, the same rule applies if you have a day where you PB, once you've gotten stuck on something and PB'd, then NO MORE SOLIDS that day... go to Full liquids only for at least 24 hours to let the band Settle down the swelling again thats created when you PB and produce excess Stomach Juices... :unsure:

Who'd a thunk... was I the only one that didn't know this?????:(

I promise, I have had ONLY liquids all today... and I have consumed 680 cals... and 70 g protien...

:(

I didn't know about the spicy food thing or not having anything but liquids after something gets stuck, either. My doctor and PA have always counseled me on having liquids 2 days after a fill followed by 2 days of soft solids then on to regular food.

Edited by ssankofa73

I didn't know abut the spicy food thing or not having anything but liquids after something gets stuck, either. My doctor and PA have always counseled me on having liquids 2 days after a fill followed by 2 days of soft solids then on to regular food.

Weird how I didn't "hear" the instructions about the spicy food before... but then its taken me almost a year to get to restriction....

My doc says that spicy foods can irritate some people but not others. It might make a difference when you are at your sweet spot. Considering that I never got there, I guess I can't say much about that.

However, my doc does HIGHLY suggest that you go back to liquids after a PB episode because your stomach will swell and pushing more food down can cause further irritation and swelling. This is what happened the first time that I had to be completely unfilled!

I just got a fill last week and I think it's kicked in. The PA that did the fill also said that I've been eating the wrong way. She said I should have been eating 4 ounces of hard Proteins 1st, then veggies, then carbs if I had room. I was eating that all at once,...not to mention also having ketchup, etc. which is a lubricant. Yesterday is the 1st day I tried it after having a fill and seems to be working in terms of keeping me full longer.

OK the food cop hasn't come out in a long time - and she is coming out tonite - But I can't be to coppish since your guys's doctors don't tell you crappola...

I can't beleive this - this is what i am going to talk about at my meeting this weekend - too many doc's just out for the $$$ and not really giving their paitients the correct instructions.

Am I the only one who got a big binder with all stages of eating - example of menue - even had frickin homework on planning a menu and counting calories and Protein grams.

Yes from day on - hard protein 1st - then veggies - the carbs if room - this is how I eat I eat my fish or meat 1st then my veggie and rice last.

I was told to try and get your protien in early in the day that way at night you can have veggies & carbs if you want (I do still carbs but limit them)

Janet: No its not been bugging me... I was quite happy with my fill of last week the 1/4 cc.... put me to 7.25 in a 10 cc band... but yest. my DH and I went out afor dinner to Chinese buffet... I was good! I ate 3 chicken wings, veggies, 1 egg roll and 1/2 cup of Hot & Sour Soup... WELL... the Hot and Sour Soup was REALLY Spicy! More than usual, and when I swollowed I noted that it was prickly on my band... now I wasn't stuck or anything... (ate at about 6 p.m)

I go to bed 10 ish... I awoke 2 hours later choking on my own spit!! So I went and took a gaviscon and a sip of Water, went back to bed... two hrs later... same thing... more choking, coughing... just couldn't swallow spit when I lyed down.

So after flopping and flipping I got up and sat in my Lazy Boy recliner with a quilt to sleep sitting up... no luck there either...

I was kind of frigtened too.

Ssankofa: My fill was fine for the past 6 days, then this soup fiasco..

My Fill Nurse said to me today, when she De-filled my 1/4 cc... You are at your Sweet Spot ( I lost 2 lbs this wk) and that Spicy soup just irritated your BAND.. You have to stop eating spicy foods now that you have adequate restriction, as if the band is irritated it swells.... and in my case swoll shut... :eek:

So, I must be more careful from now on.

Another thing she told me (which I did not previously know) is that when you get a fill, you have to have Full Fluids the rest of the day... NO solid food at all.

Also, the same rule applies if you have a day where you PB, once you've gotten stuck on something and PB'd, then NO MORE SOLIDS that day... go to Full Liquids only for at least 24 hours to let the band Settle down the swelling again thats created when you PB and produce excess Stomach Juices...

:)

Who'd a thunk... was I the only one that didn't know this?????

:unsure:

Candice - I don't know if I would say you were good:wink2: - chicken wings are like 94 calories if they are roasted without any sauces and high in fat - egg roll depending on size could be 100 for small and 350 for what I consider normal size and again fried - better choices - shrimp and snow peas - broc beef

And my doc never did say anything about spicy food but again I have been eating it all my life and I have never had problems with heart burn.

I am suppose to follow post op diet each stage for one week after a fill (I have posted this info before) and yes if you have a pb episodie you are suppose to go back on liquid - and slowly reintroduce food. I never have but I know you are suppose to - after a pb session - I don't eat and it ususally happens at night for me so it's about 10 12 hrs before I eat again and then Breakfast is alway soft foods..

I bet you were scared - I have only woke up once like that but it was from eating too much pudding - I am diff that most - my band seems to tighten at night - which is ok with me cuz that's my worst time ...

I promise, I have had ONLY liquids all today... and I have consumed 680 cals... and 70 g protien...

:(

Good girl :lol::lol:

I didn't know abut the spicy food thing or not having anything but liquids after something gets stuck, either. My doctor and PA have always counseled me on having liquids 2 days after a fill followed by 2 days of soft solids then on to regular food.
My doc says that spicy foods can irritate some people but not others. It might make a difference when you are at your sweet spot. Considering that I never got there, I guess I can't say much about that.

However, my doc does HIGHLY suggest that you go back to liquids after a PB episode because your stomach will swell and pushing more food down can cause further irritation and swelling. This is what happened the first time that I had to be completely unfilled!

Karri - ya I remember you were usually too tight - they never did seem to get it just right for you. Look you are unfilled and still get stuck..

Indio and everyone one else,

Please don't go on a tirade about my doctor or his staff on this site or at your meeting. The band they put in place and the eating system that they taught me worked to the point where I was able to lose a considerable amount of weight. 40 lbs is nothing to sneeze at and I've had it rough the last few months so BE EASY an don't try to play my medical team out. Things just stopped working or I just stopped following the exact rules and needed a refresher. I want your support and the support of everyone else on this site but I don't want to feel like I have to defend my medical team, my choice in having surgery, my eating practices, etc. I get enough of that from my mother and my own conscience. Even though I know this site is open to the public I would like to at least FEEL like I can come here and not be put on blast by other people. FALL BACK

Indio and everyone one else,

Please don't go on a tirade about my doctor or his staff on this site or at your meeting. The band they put in place and the eating system that they taught me worked to the point where I was able to lose a considerable amount of weight. 40 lbs is nothing to sneeze at and I've had it rough the last few months so BE EASY an don't try to play my medical team out. Things just stopped working or I just stopped following the exact rules and needed a refresher. I want your support and the support of everyone else on this site but I don't want to feel like I have to defend my medical team, my choice in having surgery, my eating practices, etc. I get enough of that from my mother and my own conscience. Even though I know this site is open to the public I would like to at least FEEL like I can come here and not be put on blast by other people. FALL BACK

Ssankofa - I am sorry that you felt I was bashing you or your medical team I wasn't - The way your post read that you were unaware that you were eating the wrong way that you didn't know that you were to eat your Protein first then veggies and carbs if any room - That's what I was talking about = you are 11 months out and it sounded like you never had this information - and in re reading my post I don't see where I was really bashing your team - it just seems to me that so many pple here get diff instructions when they should all be the same..

You didn't state that you had not been following the rules you made it sound like you didn't know the rules- I am sorry if you felt I was playing you or your doc's I wasn't

I think sometimes we need to be reminded of how to do things. I know I do. I probably should have read this message earlier today, it would have helped me make better choices. I was feeling hungrier today than usual. I should have had a Protein Drink when my appetite wasn't being satisfied. I usually have one for breakfast. My routine has changed since summer started and I'm getting to the gym later, so that's putting the rest of my day out. If I'd had Protein like I normally do this morning, it may have slowed my appetite down more. I forgot. :unsure:

As for ketchup being a lubricant, I didn't think of that. I don't eat a lot of ketchup, but I'm a big fan of Condiments. It could also be one of your "slider" foods. I learned that term here in this thread. Sliders are foods that slip through our bands easily. Sounds like ketchup is one of yours. It also sounds like it flushes through whatever else is eaten with it. At least now you know. :)

Glad to hear that things are getting back on track. :(

Ssankofa - I am sorry that you felt I was bashing you or your medical team I wasn't - The way your post read that you were unaware that you were eating the wrong way that you didn't know that you were to eat your Protein first then veggies and carbs if any room - That's what I was talking about = you are 11 months out and it sounded like you never had this information - and in re reading my post I don't see where I was really bashing your team - it just seems to me that so many pple here get diff instructions when they should all be the same..

You didn't state that you had not been following the rules you made it sound like you didn't know the rules- I am sorry if you felt I was playing you or your doc's I wasn't

In defense of Janet.....

We've sort of made her the thread mom. It wasn't a position she applied for or volunteered for, we just sort of forced it on her. And many times we've needed the stern mom lecture from her and she's given it to us. And we've thanked her and told her to keep being strict with us. She's done exactly what we've asked of her. So it's probably automatic that she would sound like she was reprimanding either you or your medical staff. It's what we've come to expect and it's what she delivers.

The knowledge we're given from our medical staff is meant to be followed and meant to be remembered. Today for example, I couldn't even remember to have my breakfast, so I can hardly expect that I'm going to remember advice that was given me 11 months ago. :( Janet, and all the other ladies here, give me reminders. They give me advice on things to try. They give me a different perspective on advice I may have heard elsewhere or perhaps tried to figure out myself. The give me advice I may not have considered but could try. But they never expect that I should adhere to their advice over my physicians.

We're not here to make this journey any harder for you or to tell you all the ways you're doing things wrong. We want to try and help you find the way that works for you. :unsure:

In defense of Janet.....

We've sort of made her the thread mom. It wasn't a position she applied for or volunteered for, we just sort of forced it on her. And many times we've needed the stern mom lecture from her and she's given it to us. And we've thanked her and told her to keep being strict with us. She's done exactly what we've asked of her. So it's probably automatic that she would sound like she was reprimanding either you or your medical staff. It's what we've come to expect and it's what she delivers.

The knowledge we're given from our medical staff is meant to be followed and meant to be remembered. Today for example, I couldn't even remember to have my breakfast, so I can hardly expect that I'm going to remember advice that was given me 11 months ago. :( Janet, and all the other ladies here, give me reminders. They give me advice on things to try. They give me a different perspective on advice I may have heard elsewhere or perhaps tried to figure out myself. The give me advice I may not have considered but could try. But they never expect that I should adhere to their advice over my physicians.

We're not here to make this journey any harder for you or to tell you all the ways you're doing things wrong. We want to try and help you find the way that works for you. :unsure:

Thanks Ruby:tongue: - I wasn't trying to be mean and am truly sorry that Ssonfoka felt I was attacking her or her doc's when I wasn't - It's just that I am on this board alot and it seems to me that there are so many who don't have good info - Without the proper info pple are not going to succeed at this. They do need to be counseled on what to eat how to eat etc by there docs and support staff. I guess that cuz I am on here so much that I haven't forgotten all that they taught me originally.. Since I am always talking to the newbies - It's what keep me accountable.

I want everyone to be successful in this journey..

Thanks Ruby:tongue: - I wasn't trying to be mean and am truly sorry that Ssonfoka felt I was attacking her or her doc's when I wasn't - It's just that I am on this board alot and it seems to me that there are so many who don't have good info - Without the proper info pple are not going to succeed at this. They do need to be counseled on what to eat how to eat etc by there docs and support staff. I guess that cuz I am on here so much that I haven't forgotten all that they taught me originally.. Since I am always talking to the newbies - It's what keep me accountable.

I want everyone to be successful in this journey..

Hi Janet; whoa did I miss something??? I NEVER have considered any of your comments untoward...

Perhaps someone just needs a good nap?

:tt1: WE LOVE YOU, more than better!!! :tt1:

Thanks for the encouragement guys. You really do understand--it helps.

Candice--hope your defill helped. I've been there too, and that constant waking up is horrible. I tried calling Lake Express and couldn't get a live person, but I did email them and will forward the reply when I get it.

Phyl--I get you on the weather thing. It's been cold here too. I am beginning to think that we're not going to need the AC at all this year. We get one or two days of 70s, and then it's back to cold and rain. We've had so much rain that DH can't even mow the back yard in some places b/c it's too wet. (we have about an acer that he mows) I live about 2 miles from a nice Lake Michigan beach, but it's too cold to go there.

Hey--one month till M of A! I am so pumped to finally meet you guys and spend a weekend together. Is Jackie coming too? I'm not going to buy anything between now and then. But when we get there I still need to get my mother of the groom dress and all new back to work clothes--maybe even in a size 10! Imagine that!!! (well, I know some of you are less than a 10, but for me a 10 is goal!) Janet--be sure to bring some things to sell! We have similar tastes--I can tell.

There's still time for the rest of you to join us. THINK about it!!!