Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lucky # Sevens- July 07 Bandsters

I on the other hand suffer from bad spelling!!!!!!!!!!!! Teacher, don't grade me!!!! I just realized there is a spell check on the reply box.......Duh

Are you kidding???? Who cares!!! It is nice to talk to such nice people!

Well, my summer is nearly over. I will be teaching my first biology lecture (I am a grad student) this semester, along with two biology labs. I normally only teach the labs, so I am pretty nervous, since I am going to have to teach material that I haven't had myself in several years. I'm hoping that it all comes back enough that I can help other people learn it. The ecology, evolution, and environmental stuff is cake to me, but the molecular stuff is something that I've always struggled with. My first class is next Friday, so I still have several days to review, luckily.

I go in on Wednesday for my second fill. Right now, I have some restriction, but not nearly as much as I'd like. My incisions are itching like crazy, though. And I've still got marks where the bandaid they put on at my first fill gave me blisters. Can you believe it? BLISTERS. That has never happened to me before. I don't know if I am developing a latex allergy (my hands have itched in the past when I've worn latex gloves) or if I am sensitive to the adhesive now.

Laurend, didn't know you taught! I am not anxious to go back! I definitely would NEVER go back if I had to teach what you teach, lol! Molecular, what? LOL

Hey, do you have any trouble with food getting stuck or reflux since your fill?

Curious if anyone is having trouble with any of those things since their fills? I know Lynette has been filled too! Been reading that is an issue for some people! ;) I am to go for a fill on Weds. afternoon, right now staying full for 2 to 2 and a half hours!

"Wow I would be lost with the schooling you have taken. I am not one for the science and math things. I am one for the psychology and sociology. That stuff really intrigues me."

This group is quite smart!!!! Holy Cow, we will be hot babes with brains!!! How awesome is that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jackie, because you had not exercise in such a long time you are probably gaining muscle. That and the AF Water could easily explain what's going on with your weight. Have you taken your measurement? If not, do that and you will pleasantly surprised next time the scale disappoints you.

I had yet another event last night, a cook-out. There were tons of food of course, but I only had a plain hamburger patty, which I chewed extremely slowly. I had no problem eating it, and that confirms my theory that I have no restriction. Wednesday can not come soon enough.

Looks like you and I get a fill the same day, lol! I'm hoping it makes a huge difference, lol! Just in time to go back to work!!!! ;)

Okay, I'm alive...but, frankly,there's no way I can go back and ready everything I've missed right now. So I thought I'd give a little Fill Update!

I went in and found out that I don't have the 10cc band, I have a 10 CM band that holds 4cc. No biggie - honestly, I don't care or know enough about sizes to know if this is good/bad or it doesn't matter.

My fill doc is great and I didn't feel the stick...at all! He uses a fairly small needle and put in 1.5cc. I didn't feel any different, funny, I thought there'd be lightening, stars, and rainbows when it was done! I've been on liquids and soft food and haven't been hungry...I'm going to try some real food tonight at a wedding, but will take it ssslllloooowww. I actually had a little tighness with scrambled eggs this morning. Hmmmm, maybe I DO have restriction.

Anyhoo...a tip for fills...while lying on your back, if you lift your legs the port will just "pop"...makes finding the port much easier and therefore less sticks to get it right!

Marcy, Awesome! Keep us posted as to how it is going with you! I will remember the lifting the legs idea when Weds. comes around, lol!;)

dmtjet, I used to live on tums before surgery. The day of surgery they gave me a RX for pepcid and I took it for a month. Even now I've been of of it for a few weeks, but have had no heartburn what so ever. It's great.

Marcy, I can feel my port just standing up. It's weird, but I can also feel what I think is the band. It is about 2 1/2 inches above where they put my fill in, and I have a small incision there, so I'm sure this is where they used the instruments to lock the band in place. I had my DH feel it the other night. He got cold chills!! Congrats on the fill.

dmtjet, I used to live on tums before surgery. The day of surgery they gave me a RX for pepcid and I took it for a month. Even now I've been of of it for a few weeks, but have had no heartburn what so ever. It's great.

Marcy, I can feel my port just standing up. It's weird, but I can also feel what I think is the band. It is about 2 1/2 inches above where they put my fill in, and I have a small incision there, so I'm sure this is where they used the instruments to lock the band in place. I had my DH feel it the other night. He got cold chills!! Congrats on the fill.

Lynette, nice to know! You haven't had any trouble with food being stuck? I have had it w/chicken and turkey, probably 5 or so times already! Hurts like the dickens!!! Radiates across my chest and feels like a heart attack! Seems to happen in the evenings, which is when my willpower tends to be gone!!! So not sure what the deal is! Then just wonder how much worse it will be when I get a fill! So it is nice to know that it really shouldn't get too much worse! I try to eat very slow and chew it to smitherines!!! But still, it happens every now and again! I feel I need a fill, due to the amounts that I am able to eat! How long were you told you should be full between meals? I go 2 to 2 and a half hours, but they said it should be longer. So who knows, lol! Thanks for the info! ;)

Is the 17 year old your oldest? My girls were quite challenging at that age too, actually still can be at times, lol! They are always right whether they are or not, lol! I know, I keep saying wait til it is their turn to be the mom! I will enjoy that time in my life, lol!!!;)

Jeanie- My oldest is a boy 19- He has a gentle spirit about him. But is challenging in other ways. Then I have a 17 year old girl, 14 year old boy, 10 year old girl--Never a dull moment or a quite one either!

Lynette, nice to know! You haven't had any trouble with food being stuck? I have had it w/chicken and turkey, probably 5 or so times already! Hurts like the dickens!!! Radiates across my chest and feels like a heart attack! Seems to happen in the evenings, which is when my willpower tends to be gone!!! So not sure what the deal is! Then just wonder how much worse it will be when I get a fill! So it is nice to know that it really shouldn't get too much worse! I try to eat very slow and chew it to smitherines!!! But still, it happens every now and again! I feel I need a fill, due to the amounts that I am able to eat! How long were you told you should be full between meals? I go 2 to 2 and a half hours, but they said it should be longer. So who knows, lol! Thanks for the info! ;)

I have had that tightness and I think it is because I don't chew as well as I should and eat faster than I should. My doctor only allows 3 meals a day no Snacks. I have noticed too that if I drink or eat too fast sometimes I get hiccups. I am ready for a fill. I have felt that this past week my appetite has returned. I am still having pain at my port incision and attachment area so want to make sure it is healed before he sticks a needle in that area. Only 11 days till my first fill. Monday will be one month post surgery.

Caolin- Thanks for the words of encouragement. I slipped tonight and actually ate 1 cup of cottage cheese about 10pm. At least it was low fat 1%. Not that that excuses me. I was feeling pretty rotten about it earlier but I am over it now. Can't dwell on the mistake. I guess I can feel better knowing that I chose the cottage cheese instead of a slice of cheesecake my son was eating. The thought of having that didn't even cross my mind. I don't know what it is with me and cottage cheese lately. I crave the stuff like mad!!!!!!!!! :noidea:

I do feel better after reading yours and others posts. I do need to be proud because I am sticking to my exercising. I even bought a couple others as I mentioned in a differnet post and I signed up for my Water aerobics today. Can't start those until Sept though. That scale will move soon. I am just at my first of many platea's. I was losing so rapidly before that it was just like I hit a brick wall and came to a halt. I know others are going through the same thing. It will happen.

Jackie, cottage cheese (low fat to boot) is not a cheat. You are probably craving it because of the nutrition it provides. Personally I hate it and cannot get it past my lips. But if you are craving it, go for it. I would be more concerned if you were craving ice cream or Cookies (which is what I crave all day).

Don't be so hard on yourself. Your exercise plan is amazing, and you are making such wonderful food choices. The stall in your weight probably has much more to do with Aunt Flo and the stress you have placed on yourself than anything else. Relax, and let your body heal. Wait until you have some restriction before expecting anything amazing with your weight.

Lose the stress, and enjoy the moment.

Kathy, it stinks when vacation is over, but you'll be leaving again soon, for a vacation with your DH!! Does he know yet???

Yes, I told him a week ago. He was thrilled. I created a powerpoint presentation using photos from the resorts website. The presentation took him through the itinerary and snapshots of the resort. The final slide told him how I had arranged for babysitting.

I then reminded him that I had 3 other business trips this fall that I had to go on. He said "Yeah, I know... but I'm going to Palm Springs Baby!"

Jackie- try not to get discouraged. You cannot and will not always be able to measure success by the numbers on a scale. You success' are that you exercised on a regular basis, and that you managed to stay on program even though you are not feeling any restriction. Congradulations!!!!!!!!!! The weight loss will come. Celebrate what you did succeed in this week. You might be retaining Water with your period on the way. So with that in mind. Relax. You did good. The numbers will go down, maybe not today, but very soon.

Jackie Anne said it better that I could - it took 3 times on the scale to lose 2 lbs - scales are fickle things - with aunt flo in the neighborhood take it with a grain of salt - Also we lost alot of weight fast that 1st week after surgery (combined with pre-op) and our body has to catch up.... Stay positive - "The Secret"

"Wow I would be lost with the schooling you have taken. I am not one for the science and math things. I am one for the psychology and sociology. That stuff really intrigues me."

This group is quite smart!!!! Holy Cow, we will be hot babes with brains!!! How awesome is that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We sure do - :clap2:

I could never to caluicis (can't even spell it)

I am like you Jeannie the psychology & sociology intrigues me.. I want to take classes when I retire.

Hi everyone, I caught up on the posts - Lynette, congrats!! So many other thughts- was it Auntie Phil that has the Soup stealing husband? so sorry!! It is kind of a funny story (when I picture it, the husband thinking he's so sneaky, slurping away at hot soup) except that I would have burst into tears at the time!! Don't let it get you down! I think our husbands really just want us to succeed and they don't mean harm, maybe....?

I have to excercise! All of you are so diligent and I will get it together on that front. I usually have a trainer I see twice a week. It kills me not to go in but I was supposed to wait 30 (now that seems long???) days to do more than walking. I will probably get more motivated to excercise on my own when I restart with him.

My good news: We have been traveling. East Coast, Midwest and Colorado mountains with only a day or so in between at home. I was SOOOOOOO afraid to get on the scale, but decided to be honest with myself so I won't let anything get out of hand. I thought I would have gained at least 5 lbs. (eating out, etc.) I am about the same!!!!! I weighed tonight and I ususally weigh in the morning, so I may even end up down a half pound or so. Amazing!! I guess I really didn't eat too much, although in Colorado it sure felt like it. I do think the altitude change made my band (the new one that comes with a bit of a fill when they put it in) a bit tighter and I would almost feel sick stuffed when I ate...which leads to a question:

Question: I have a fear! I don't want to need to "feel full" and I don't want to "be stuffed." Thats how I got overweight. I want that "need" to go away! I want to truly only eat enough to get by, but now the band gets me to eat less BUT gives me the full feeling that actually fills an unhealthy need for me!!! A friend who had Gastric by-pass a few years ago told me that at about 9 months she felt that her "demons" (food issues) went mostly away. Do you all think this is possible??

Thanks, CC

Jeanie- My oldest is a boy 19- He has a gentle spirit about him. But is challenging in other ways. Then I have a 17 year old girl, 14 year old boy, 10 year old girl--Never a dull moment or a quite one either!

Holy Cow, Girl!!!! YOU got your hands FULL ... those are tough ages!!! At least they were for me! Those were the ages that I was NEVER right, they had ALL the answers, and loved to prove it to me!!! God Bless YOU, lol!!!! Still, sometimes, now that mine are 21 and 23, I wish I would have taken a little more time to enjoy those ages! They went by so fast, but some of it, I think is necessary, because all of those disagreements we had, made them into pretty nice, responsible, adults! They are definitely able to think for themselves, lol!!;)