Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lucky # Sevens- July 07 Bandsters

Hello everyone,

I got my Band date yesterday, it is July 31. Pre-opt is the 25th.

I can't wait and yet I am a little nervous. I have never had any surgery before. You ladies know we guys are great at killing spiders, snakes and various other manly duties but we are real wimps when it comes to being sick (or having surgery).

My Doctor is Dr Olsen at Centennial in Nashville. My wife had gastric bypass in 2002 by Dr Olsen and she is doing great. While my wife never suggested I have any surgery once I did my research and decided to have it she insisted on Dr. Olsen and Centennial.

I start my pre-opt liquid diet tomorrow. 600 cal. per day. I think my daughter feeds her gold fish more calories per day.

Wrangler054 Glad to here you are doing well.

Am I the only guy getting banded in July?

Thanks, Good luck to all!

I found out last week that I get to go to a conference in Palm Springs in October. I can't wait. I went to this conference last year, but it was in Toronto, just up the road from me. I had a ball.

I've been trying to arrange for babysitting for the kids while I'm gone so that I can bring my DH with me. We haven't had a vacation together without the kids since 1997. And we've never been to Palm Springs.

A friend of mine who has a daughter in my son's class has agreed to take my son for the week. And my sister is considering taking my daughter for the week. If she confirms than its a go!!!

I love my sister dearly, but she is so judgemental of me. She didn't agree with our decision to adopt. She thought it would over tax our marriage. Of course she never said that to us, I just overheard her saying it to her husband when she didn't know I was around.

She also disagreed with my choice of husband... again I found out through another source. She would never tell me this. But her actions do tell me these things. So getting close to her has been difficult.

But she adores my kids (including my adopted daughter), and is probably the only person equipped to manage her for the week. She's a nurse and is very patient and loving. The rest of my family and friends would be good with her for a day or so, but would not last the week.

So when I asked her today, her first reaction was "no I don't think so", but by the end of the conversation she said "well, maybe we can. Can I let you know in a week".

I'm really hoping she will. I haven't told my hubby yet about this trip. I wanted to surprise him with it if it turns out.

Keep your fingers crossed for me.

:gluck:Hi everyone, I too am being banded in July - I guess my name tells you that. I go in on Monday. I am sorry that I missed all of the potential support pre-surgery but will definitely check in post surgery. Anyone else going in on Monday? How are you all doing? I am getting a little nervous about recovery. For those who just went through it on a scale of 1-10 one being best to 10 being worst, how bad was it?

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wFPeGOT/]

weight.png

[/url]

Hello everyone,

I got my Band date yesterday, it is July 31. Pre-opt is the 25th.

I can't wait and yet I am a little nervous. I have never had any surgery before. You ladies know we guys are great at killing spiders, snakes and various other manly duties but we are real wimps when it comes to being sick (or having surgery).

My Doctor is Dr Olsen at Centennial in Nashville. My wife had gastric bypass in 2002 by Dr Olsen and she is doing great. While my wife never suggested I have any surgery once I did my research and decided to have it she insisted on Dr. Olsen and Centennial.

I start my pre-opt liquid diet tomorrow. 600 cal. per day. I think my daughter feeds her gold fish more calories per day.

Wrangler054 Glad to here you are doing well.

Am I the only guy getting banded in July?

Thanks, Good luck to all!

Chris, you'll do great. Dr. Olsen is so wonderful. The morning of surgery he came in and spent time talking with me, assuring me everything would be fine and the next day during his check up, he was smiling and really sweet.

Everyone at Centennial from the orderlies to the nurses to the anesthesiologists were extremely nice. They all put me at ease made me laugh and I wasn't nervous at all. They gave me medicine to "Relax" me but waiting in the pre-op room before the medicine I was so relaxed I took a short nap. I can't say enough wonderful things about the staff.

Dr. Olsen makes his morning rounds at 7AM and he will allow you to be discharged whenever you feel you want to leave after he visits.

The pre-op diet and post op Dr. Olsen puts you in is really strict - more strict than a lot of the diets other banders are put on but it's really worth it. In fact, he admits he's stricter with his diets than other surgeons but that's why I chose him.

Good luck. You can do it.

Welcome new members- you will love it here- we are one big, happy, soon -to-be-skinny family:)

Kathybad- I will keep my fingers crossed for you. It is great to have one-on-one time with DH every once in a while. It will work out!

Lynette- you are right, a whole bunch of us come from disfunctional families, maybe that's why we are heavy???? I am sorry about your situation, all I can say is just hang in there, time will tell them what a great thing you have done for yourself, and show them how you can eat everything, just in small portions. Hopefully you will inspire your sister and she will so something about her weight.

dmtjet- we have also had a very cool summer here in toasty Texas, but I am not complaining. As a matter of fact, I am loving it! If every year was like this life would be heaven. We haven't reached 100F yet, it's so exciting, I can't believe it!

Like the rest of you all, I also hate housework. Much to my mother's dismay, who could be Martha Stewart. This was also another point of disagrement betweeen us, she always lets me know waht a sloppy person I am. Which I am not, btw, but she wants me to do things like clean behind the fridge every week. I don't think so. And when I first got married, she was appaled I did not Iron DH's underwear, she tought for sure he was going to leave me :) Anyway, I got a cleaning lady who comes over every other week, but I still have to do laundry, dishes etc...

I am off to the home improvement store now, our garage door opener broke. Have a good day!

KathyBad,

What great news!! I hope your DS steps up to the plate and helps you out with the child care... it would be pretty crumby of her not to help out when this is such a great opportunity for you and hubby.

My company for the weekend just left and I got to eat Breakfast... my first REAL Breakfast.< /p>

I am supposted to shift to SOFT/MUSHY in two days, but I had to have an egg today.

OMG it was good, I made "EGG IN THE HOLE" 1 egg, 1 slice of bread....it was divine.. and chewed, chewed, chewed every mouthful thoroughly until it all felt like GLUE in my mouth..

oh but I did enjoy!

down 15 lbs. now since pre-op

Welcome Chris45. You are not the only male in our group. Danny drops in every now and again. He's great. We welcome the testosterone to group with open arms. Just ignore al the estrogen comments we make, which aren't a lot, but you know, we are mainly women. So how much has your wife lost with the by pass? You'll have your own built in support group at home too, so that will be nice!!

Welcome JulyBander. We have a great group here, lots of support pre and post surgery. You'll love it as we do.

Kathybad, my fingers are crossed for your trip. Let us know if all is a go.

peaches, isn't it funny how an egg tastes so good after all the liquids!!

Cazulay, I do hope to purseude(sp) my sister into doing something about her weight, but not by my mouth, but by my overall results. We both grew up with same mother in the house, and we're both fed large portion meals while my mother had salads and low cal stuff for meals. We both suffered, and both have tried many of things to get the weight off.

Hopefully she'll see how it's working for me, supportive or not, and maybe then it will motivate her to do something. She has a family, DH, and 2 kids at home, so she has a lot to gain from it too. This is what I want her to see. If she opens up her eyes and heart, she'll know there is a better life out there for her, and I'll be her biggest supporter!!

Hi, All! Hope you are having a nice day!:car:

Chim, sure hope you get all you want to get done today :)and Sweet Dreams tonight at your sleep study,:notagree though it is a bit difficult to sleep all hooked up to wires and KNOWING someone is watching you!!!! ;) LOL, I kept peeking and looking at the camera and the redlight hue!!!! Just an odd feeling, then I wanted to make sure I was covered, so that nothing would accidentally "POP" out during the night, lol!!!!! :rolleyes:So of course, I had to keep checking that out too, lol!

Lynette, sounds like your sister is overly dependent on your mom! :car: Personally, I am glad that my girls come to me, but also glad that they can do most things on their own. Shows me that I did okay and that have learned their lessons well! You are definitely the stronger one!!!! I am glad to have you as MY sister!!!!! :car:

We seem to have the same taste in men too!!!! How cool is that? Two clowns, well at least on the cruise, they can entertain each other, lol! Not sure where we are with that poll, but if that is the case!!!!:)

Kathy, I love your seasonal plan!!!! :) I could definitely live with that!!! I wish I were you Sister, I would watch your little girl for you!!! Gee, years ago, when my girls were in grade school, my husband and I got the chance to go to DisneyWorld free of charge, room, flight, everything! :clap2: We asked his mom to watch the girls for 3 days and take them to school in the morning ... guess what they couldn't do it!!!! .... because my one nephew was only a year old and she just couldn't take him out each day!!!! :cry(mind you, it was the end of February, weather wasn't a big issue and it was a 10 min. drive) Fortunately, two of my sister in laws chipped in and helped us out!!! :whoo: I sure hope that happens for you too, someone just chips in and lets you go, everyone needs a break once in awhile, no matter how much you love them! It is good for everyone, come back feeling refreshed!!! Keep us posted!

Chris45, Congrats!!! jdhj861jr is our other guy, Danny!!! So Welcome and yes the goldfish does eat more than that, lol!:)

Julybander, Welcome!!! Really isn't a bad operation, a few days of uncomfortableness, but very tolerable. In a week, you will feel great!!!:)

Cazulay, I hear you on the dysfunctional stuff!!! I guarantee a majority of our weight issues are the result of mistreatments and unfairness, :angrywhich manifested itself in depression and the compulsion to overeat!!! Can't believe Texas is cool too!!! Haven't been watching the maps lately, or following the weather trends, but that is very unusual for Texas! I am sure you are enjoying it! You're not getting the 40 and 50 nighttime lows though, huh? Kind of kills the swimming pool temps, lol!:rain:

Peaches, your egg in a hole sounds yummy!!!!:hungry:

Cazulay, I do hope to purseude(sp) my sister into doing something about her weight, but not by my mouth, but by my overall results. We both grew up with same mother in the house, and we're both fed large portion meals while my mother had salads and low cal stuff for meals. We both suffered, and both have tried many of things to get the weight off.

Hopefully she'll see how it's working for me, supportive or not, and maybe then it will motivate her to do something. She has a family, DH, and 2 kids at home, so she has a lot to gain from it too. This is what I want her to see. If she opens up her eyes and heart, she'll know there is a better life out there for her, and I'll be her biggest supporter!!

Ahh, Lynette, you are sooo sweet!!! Kind, even when they are not so kind to you!!!! You are quite the lady!!!! Kuddos to you!!!!:)

The people I chat with on this thread are just so sweet! I don't understand how anyone could be unfair, unkind, or mistreat any of us!!! We are better people though, because these are the things that made us compassionate and caring!!! So we are still the winners!!!!!! Yeah, for US!!!!! (Besides, before long they will all be soooo jealous!!!!!) Look out world, here we come!:whoo:

:gluck:Hi everyone, I too am being banded in July - I guess my name tells you that. I go in on Monday. I am sorry that I missed all of the potential support pre-surgery but will definitely check in post surgery. Anyone else going in on Monday? How are you all doing? I am getting a little nervous about recovery. For those who just went through it on a scale of 1-10 one being best to 10 being worst, how bad was it?

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wFPeGOT/]

weight.png

[/url]

I go in on Monday also. Just drank the bowel prep. YUCK!!! That stuff tastes gross!! I am starting to get a little nervous. Laying in bed last night I started to think of Monday and really got myself into a tither. COuldn't sleep for quite a while. It is all finally starting to set in that this is really going to happen. 2 more days!!!!:faint:

Chris,

We have Big Wave Dave pay us a visit every now and then, too. he lives in Hawaii and was banded a week or so ago. His wife is being banded next month.

My surgery was yesterday. I am a little sore, but overall, everything went very well except for the two hour commute home through Seattle traffic!! Hydocodone helped a lot. I slept through most of it, but hubby was a little disgruntled to say the least.

BiggestLoser Welcome to the group. I too am in the PCOS club as well. I think there are a couple of others amongst us in this thread as well. I don't know if the PCOS triggered the obesity or if it was the other way around but they're best of friends right now. I'll get my weight down for a little bit, only to have it come back again, bringing extras. My periods before going on birth control were a nightmare. They were heavy and painful. I would have to get up twice in the middle of the night to change myself to prevent puddles of menstrual Fluid ending up in my bed. When my weight goes down, the size of the cysts get smaller, the periods are less painful and heavy. So I know personally that getting control of my weight is going to help a LOT with that problem. I've been pretty successful with various diets, but for some reason my body adjusts after a while and things start getting worse again. The lap band for me will be the tool I need to keep that rebound from happening as it so often does. I believe the fill adjustments will help get things back on track.

I've been told that certain foods that I once enjoyed could suddenly become something I detest. I've had that before when I was talking Meridia for appetite control. I just LOVED Pasta but for some reason when I was on that, the thought of it made me feel ill. I still can't walk past Krispy Kreme without feeling nauseous. Those are two bonuses of that medication that I didn't expect and I'm looking forward to more of the same. I don't miss donuts and pasta. I thought I would. I'm hoping the same won't happen for sushi (fingers crossed) as that's my most favourite food of all. I don't mind if I'm limited to sashimi (sushi minus the rice), but growing up New Zealand a large part of my diet consisted of seafood. I would hate to loose the appetite for that.

Anyway, I think I've ranted for long enough. Back to your regularly scheduled program.... :)

Phyl, so glad all is well and you're at home. Hope you have a speedy recovery, and we'll be here evey step of the way!!