Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I keep reading horror stories...

I feel like the time from when I first investigated WLS to my appt on Monday has flown by. I mean, not just feels that way, but has been very fast. There was no lag time waiting on insurance (got approved right away), and it was just over a week from my pre-op with the surgeon to my surgery.

Having said that, I did plenty of research before and feel confident in my decision, but in the last couple of days, I feel like all I have read are horror stories and people dissuading others from getting the band. Am I just nervous because surgery is in 2 days?? Is anyone else hearing or reading a lot of bad things about the band?

Would love to hear that I'm not crazy for wanting this and that it will be fine!!

the band will work for you as long as you keep in mind that you can't eat like you used to. you will have a pouch that will hold 4-6 oz of food. it is small. if you don't follow the eating rules you might suffer some complications. I have suffered from some complications but because I followed my doctors advise and became very compliant my complications are correcting themselves. so my best advice to you is to follow all directions given to you. eat small, chew thoroughly, and keep your portions in check. also eat slowly. we all eat to fast. it is a hard habit to break. so I suggest putting your fork or spoon down in between bites. a half of cup of food should take you about 20 min's to eat. if you follow the eating rules you will lose wt. and won't have complications. I wish you luck. if I had to do it all over again even with my complications I would have the band again. I can't eat around a properly adjusted band.

I have noticed, the majority of people who come to this forum are those who are seeking help or advice...that would be those just starting out who, in all respect, have very little experience and don't know much except what they have heard...mostly from other people with little experience.They say the craziest things, from where it comes from I haven't a clue.

Just look at how many posts there are from people who have been banded only a few weeks and already they're talking about stalls...!!!

Then there are people who do have legitimate concerns or have/are experiencing major problems...they feel that need support so here they are...and in reality, there are not that many. It just seems that way And IMO, the problems they are experiencing are not the bands fault, but the person's...in the first few months I had some issues, problems also...but it was not the band giving me problems, it was me having to break bad habits, etc, learned over a lifetime which was the reason I was Obese...and now they had to go...just like that.

We are fat because we eat wrong, way too much of the wrong things....so we have WLS...what do people expect this WLS is going to do?

It is going to make it impossible to live the old life and force you to start doing things differently.

Some people are just not ready for that, and insist on fighting change...the first time they get "Stuck" they run back toi their Dr.'s saying there is something wrong with the band...(and not them themselves) then complain 2 years later the band is a failure, or they fell off the wagon....

It wasn't the bands fault, and I wonder what wagon they were on??? Jenny Craigs?

How many posts do I read about eating pizza??? WHY WOULD ANYONE WANT TO IN THE FIRST PLACE? That's the real question! Same with rice, and many other things not good for you in the first place!

The staff at my Surgeons office tells me stories all the time about people coming in to get Fluid taken out of their bands so they can enjoy Vacations, holidays, weddings, etc....They don't get it...either you want to loose weight, which means change, or you don't....you can't have it both ways.

There are a lot of successful people out there...many who were here when I joined are long gone.

Frankly, why would they want to hang around? They have a new life to live and enjoy, and don't want to be around people with such negativity....

I left for about a year, could not take it anymore...but as time goes on I just get more founded in my new life.And I will probably leave again when I can't take it and need another break.

I am 100% successful..having lost ALL the excess weight possible, resulting in a very low (athletic) body fat %.

I am NEVER hungry, have no cravings, head hunger is a thing of the past.

I have absolutely no fear of failure or ever gaining weight again...no more dieting counting calories...none of that. I have been set free....

I'm looking forward to Thanksgiving and the holidays....don't need ant clever strategies to get through it......

THAT statement right there will raise eyebrows and draw criticism from many people here who have no idea what I am talking about, and would label me a heretic.. ,,,,....that being said, why would I, or anyone else successful, want to hang around here?

Lets just pretend everybody has problems and difficulties and lets stick with the horror stories, and keep telling each other how much hard work this is and it's just a tool after all, don't get your hopes too high.....That way when we do fail we won't feel so bad....misery loves company.

Sorry, I'm ranting...It's 4:30am and I tend to do that with my first cup of coffee......

But know this, the band does work and there are more successful people out there than you may think...and this forum does not represent everybody...

Either you want to accept change, loose weight and get a new life, or not....the band is adjustable, and even reversible.

Edited by B-52

Terry and B52 were right on

no matter what WLS one has chose to get

UNLESS the person changes, it wont work...

any WLS can work

any WLS can fail

some have complications

some have not a problem ever

best to listen to your dr and follow his instructions for the best results

as with life, results will vary...

I was banded 8 months ago. I didn't see most of these scary band stories on here until after surgery. I didn't have anyone in real life to talk to who had WLS. This forum, books, YouTube, my surgical team, and real life WLS support groups from three different hospitals were and have been my research and resources.

I am 53 years old. I once lost 130 pounds at age 28 without surgery and gained it all back.

In February I started at 302. I now weigh 198. I have gone off the following medicines: one of two blood pressure meds, Prevacid, prescription NSAID for arthritis, cholesterol medicine, prescription pain medication, a diuretic, Fiber supplements.

I couldn't walk one block without back and knee pain before. Now I walk daily and enjoy watching the miles (MILES!) accumulate on my FitBit every day. My dog loves it too.

I have reduced the frequency of my cortisone knee injections. My knee pain is controlled with Tylenol and most days I now forget to take even that.

I have had four fills and am at my green zone. For me the green means I eat moderately and on a schedule three times a day. In between I have coffee or Water or tea. In between I am not hungry at all. I become mildly hungry about a half hour before my meal.

If I am ravenous or thinking about food, it is almost always a sign that I am stressed. I've learned to recognize this sign and to NOT feed it with food because food will NOT make that restless feeling go away.

I have learned to substitute self care by food with self care by: walking, music, 12-step meetings, foot massages, socializing with people, praying, counseling, going to the movies.

Head hunger is real. Head hunger wasn't cured for me by WLS but it became easier to recognize, because I now feel and recognize real hunger three times a day.

I am still a newbie but the thing I had to give up when I got banded that maybe some people are not ready to give up is this: I can never binge for comfort again.

I got WLS to make that happen and yet it is the saddest thing to let go of. If you are ready to do that then you are ready for WLS.

Knowing it and doing it are two different things. I was ready. I was motivated. I decided. Then I got banded.

And still, after surgery, when it hit me months later during the most stressful time of my life that I couldn't turn to binging on food for comfort, I hurt so bad. I cried. I was simultaneously glad for the band and scared to death because my go-to coping mechanism was gone.

I knew and expected that to hit me at some point. Still, it's a shock when it does.

I survived the feelings. I developed an inner resolve that no matter what, I was not going to cope the old way anymore. I am a new woman and I am teaching myself new ways to cope and a new way to live.

I get stuck on certain foods and I'm still training myself to eat slowly. Yes, 8 months post op I still am in training. It's okay. I have the rest of my life to get better at it.

When you are ready, you are ready. And nothing will stop you.

I feel like too many people expect WLS to be the silver bullet for their overweight werewolf. I agree with what the others have said. Sure, I'm only about 4 months out, BUT .. I started making lifestyle changes in January so that I'd be ready for my surgery. Even then, I'm absolutely still learning what I can and can't handle. I've had 4 fills, am at 3.5 ccs, and have found my green zone. Yes, I've plateaued ... but that's to be expected. Especially since I caught myself slipping to old habits with the Halloween candy being in the house, and now the snow outside. I don't like the cold ... and now I'm more sensitive to it. BUT ... I need to do this. You can too. :)

Either you want to accept change, loose weight and get a new life, or not....the band is adjustable, and even reversible.

As a "Newbie" going to get banded on 11/25, my mantra is:

"LET GO OR BE DRAGGED"!

I've got SCARS from hanging on to this life long relationship with food so am I ready to let that all go? YOU BETCHA!

It took me 4 years to lose the weight I have so far.

I requested a slow-fill-course because I kept having to have ortho surgeries over that time. I wanted to have enough nutrients to heal well. And so I did and here I am, starting over- getting the basics back down; how much protein/carb/veg per day, etc

Now, I'm struggling with finding my green zone. I think for the first time.

my weightloss was primarily due to pain (theres no hunger with screaming pain!) and also inflammation around the band-site i.e.: a false restriction due to painkiller meds & stress of not working etc.

Now, I'm also dealing with another unexpected complication. I'm working through it. NOT giving up on my band even though I've been maintaining around 160# for about a year- 25# from goal- so close. I'll make it!

I spoke with my PA at last visit and told him I'd seen many posts about band failures. He told me that percentage-wise, I was the exception to the rule for "their" bandsters. "Most are have gone with revision to the sleeve" he said.

So I asked him- "In your opinion, were the revisionist bandsters' failures due to impatience (want a quick fix) and not following instructions and/ or eating around the band?" At first, he wanted to avoid the question- mumbled a little. I asked more specifically & precise in a way he couldn't talk around. He ultimately said YES! That's why the majority failed.

He said many people, aside from not wanting to give up old habits, want that next best thing, i.e.: latest fad. The sleeve, as the next best thing, many people jumped on board. A Quick fix. Quicker weight loss. Not as much patience required to lose the weight- at least in the beginning.

I've read about complications on all the WLS forums here. There's a percentage in every category genuinely struggling with complications. (not lazy non-compliers or quitters) It's like that with ANY kind of surgery, not just WLS. There's always going to be a certain percentage of failed procedures. There's also a percentage of failures due to patients not following doctor's orders.

Can't just heap everyone into one category.

And then there are the successes!

To my amazement, I've found so many band-success stories here. I've found a good many bandsters who've lost upwards of 150-200#, found their green zone, and are living happy lives in band-synchronicity.

I'm not at green zone, nor at goal yet.

Even so, I expect to be one of the many band-success stories

And I will!

Thank you for your responses. The horror stories I was reading were not from this forum, but another. I found a site via Pinterest and was looking at before/after pics. Then I came across a newbie post from a girl who was almost 21 and asking about things like scars and drinking because she wanted to drink on her birthday, etc. The replies were relentless and HARSH. I expect to see some bad stories, have seen some on this forum, but the backlash these ADULTS were giving this girl and the things they said scared me. Am I susceptible to fear a day or two pre-op? Why yes, yes I am.

I came back here and found the NSV thread. That helped. Reading victories beyond the numbers, feeling people's happiness, having something to look forward to myself - I fell asleep. Now just one day to go.

WLS is elective surgery, and all surgeries carry risks. But, not taking any action will eventually take its toll on your health as well. You can find horror stories for any kind of WLS, and you can bet the folks who have had problems will be the most vocal. Also, gastric banding techniques, and the bands themselves, have evolved over time. Would you want to compare surgical complications for gall bladder or appendix removal between 2014 and back say, to 1940? A lot of band detractors base their opinions on outdated, archaic surgical data.

In my humble opinion, the best decision you can make is to choose a WLS surgeon that is part of a circle of excellence. The lap band requires follow up care; and you want to be confident that you will have the needed support for years to come. If you do have problems, you want to be sure your surgeon and his practice will be there for YOU for years to come, to resolve any problems quickly and professionally.

Also, as a lap band patient, you will have to do the required follow up visits. I have a gastric band, but I went into the surgery with my eyes open, and knew the risks. I had the band on the recommendation of my surgeon. I am satisfied with my results and my decision. I hope you will do well with whatever path you take.

Keeper - You are not crazy for wanting this, and you will be fine.