Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Party Pizza Meltdown

I had gastric bypass on November 6. Since then my hormones have been crazy, I've had a rough recovery due to a rough surgery and I've felt like a crazy person.

I get nauseous easily, everything I'm allowed to eat tastes terrible or I just end up psyching myself out that it will taste terrible, then I don't want it. When I do find something that works, I get excited, then discouraged because it may only work for one or two meals. I'm getting better day by day and continue to work on it.

Last night, my boyfriend (for lack of a better word) made one of those Totino's Party Pizzas (Combination style of course which was my favorite) and I'm sitting at the table, trying to decide what my new pouch will tolerate and I lose it. I start bawling like a baby. So I lock myself I the bathroom (don't want him to see me crying and feel bad about eating) and I call my mom. As I'm feeling sorry for myself and asking her for a time machine, I hear him start to curse. I ask him what's wrong and he says he burnt his finger and dropped the pizza. I start laughing. This crazy maniacal laugh and I have no idea why I'm finding this so funny, but I seriously can't stop! I keep picturing it I'm my head and cracking up! I think I was happy (not about the burning, but about the loss of pizza) lol.

Turned out he only dropped one piece. He felt bad when he figured out I had been upset. I told him I needed to get used to it and that it's hard. I don't want anyone handling me with kid gloves. I swear it is aggravating knowing the hold that food had/has over me. I can still picture the taste in my mind. I did much better today but it comes and goes in waves. Just had to share my momentary, pity party meltdown because now, of course it's funny. ????

Edited by NicoleSW

Karma is a funny old gal, isn't she?!! LOL at your story - and so glad you are able to laugh about it now. I am only 5 days out from my RNY and I would have had a meltdown too if someone had a pizza in the oven!

The day after I got home from the hospital, some well-meaning friends decided to bring dinner over for my husband and daughter! It all looked and smelled amazing, including the homemade brownies!! So, here I was, the one who actually just had surgery (eh hem!) not able to eat any of it but had to watch them enjoy it! Fortunately, I was nauseated already so it was easier to not want it, but still... what the heck were they thinking?!!

Geesh! I have no idea! Between him eating pizza and cinnamon toast crunch and my other family members FaceTiming to see how I am, then chowing down on their chicken nuggets from Wendy's, I'm not sure how I haven't lost my dang mind! I'm counting down the days when I can go back to eating "real foods." I've found some good recipes on Pinterest that look AMAZING and now I'm excited for that but stuck in this stupid full liquids phase...????

I do need to add that everyone has been supportive and I don't expect them to change their lives, I'm just venting is all even though people can duck out of view while stuffing their faces while FaceTiming! My mom had even said that she wasn't going to make certain desserts/candy for Christmas this year. I told her that's not fair to everyone else and that I need to have will power. She also knows I will have natural consequences if I did happen to give in. Considering there's only one bathroom, that's not an option!

Too funny! I can totally relate. I"m sure we all can. People mean well but they just don't know what to do. pizza is one of those foods that is everywhere. At work, whenever someone provides lunch for one of our long meetings or a team meeting or whatever, it is almost always pizza. There have been times,if they have chicken toppings, I will take a slice and just eat the toppings. But that isn't enough for a meal. I wouldn't say that pizza is my favorite food though it is up there. But my biggest weakness is FREE food. You would think that I grew up in the Depression! I didn't. But I love free food and pizza is usually one of those foods.

When I first had my surgery, I was amazed at how often people would start to eat around me and then get a weird look on their face and start apologizing for eating. It was weird.

The pinterest recipes mentioned above will be a good reference. I have bought several cookbooks for people who have had the surgery. One of these days, I'll actually make something from them! lol. That might be a good thing to do is put together a series of recipes that you will be able to use later. Put them together in a nice booklet.

Sorry, I'm drifting off topic--but I thought it was familiar to go hide but loved that he then dropped the pizza and how funny that must have been--total karmic justice! lol.

@@NicoleSW

Your story is too funny! I had a mini pity party for myself on day 4 post-op. It was the first day that I was back in my own home on my own and I had a few friends that wanted to stop by for a visit. On the way, they said they were stopping to pick up food and asked me what I wanted! Duh! I just had weight loss surgery, I don't want anything from McDonalds!!! I don't think they understood the procedure that I had and the plan I was on now.

It does get better! I use Pinterest all time for recipe ideas and tweak them a bit to suit my tastes. One of the big benefits of this journey is that I started cooking a lot.

Best of luck on the next phases. I really hope you have an easier time transitioning through all of the food stages.

God, that made me laugh!!! Thanks. I remember early on; my brother was eating chicken from KFC with mac n cheese. I personally would have taken a fork full of chickena and speared some mac on the end of that. It was driving me NUTS that he was eating it "the wrong way"!!! I actually had to leave!!! and ESSkay77; yup! People weirded out around me, too!! I told them it was okay to eat. But it is so odd when they keep offering you stuff you can't have. They truly do NOT understand!! I did my surgery 10/29/03. I did make Christmas goodies that year and I even tasted little bits. But LITTLE bits. It was fine. That early on, I was strong enough in willpower to have a taste and get over it.

Ricotta cheese with some Tomato sauce in the microwave is high Protein and puree stage approved. It fills the pizza and lasagna cravings.

Thanks! I have some recipes pinned on Pinterest like that. One using slices of zucchini as the "noodles". Cannot wait to get to that stage! C'mon Monday!!!! Lol.