Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How does your diet differ?

Just curious how the diet differs for the different Drs.

Mine was this

6months dr watch weight loss.

2week pre surgery clear liquid only (broth,g2,Protein drinks, sf Jello, sf popcicles)

Surgery day- allowed only 1oz ice chips per hour.

Day 1 post op- 1oz ice chips until leak check on stomach. Then I was allowed 1oz clear liquid per hour for 10hours. Then increase to 2oz per hour.

Day 2 post op- after dr check drink/sip freely. Remaining on clear liquid only.

Day 3-discharge day- clear liquid only doe an additional 7 days.

Week 2 after discharge- add full liquid, v8, skim milk, orange juice, sf instant carnation Breakfast, yogurt with no fruit, sf/low fat pudding. Continue with 2 Protein Drinks per day.

Week 3&4 - add Protein smoothies, apple sauce, baby food with no added corn Syrup, smooth Peanut Butter, bananas- 1protein drink/day.

Week 5- add eggs, potatoes, cottage cheese, oatmeal, cream of wheat, soft cook veggies, cheese, crackers, dried Beans & peas, soft canned fruit (peaches/pears), soft tortillas.

Week 9 and beyond- add lean ground beef, chicken, turkey, and fish.

3months and after- add port, beef,Ham, salads, Protein Bars, beef or turkey jerkey, rice, Pasta, toasted bread, high protein Cearal. Choose whole grains and limit cheese, nuts, and peanut butter.

Goals- 60-80 grams per day protein.

Fluids- 64oz per day.

Do not drink 15min prior or 1hour after meal.

You can ask 100 different VSG patients and get 100 different answers. But here's mine.....

2 week preop - 3 Protein shakes/day plus unlimited green veggies. I was required to lose 12 pounds and I lost 22.

3 days postop Clear liquids

Day 4-17 full liquids (Protein shakes, Protein powder added to broths and cream Soups, drinkable yogurt)

Day 18-28 pureed food

Day 29-40 soft food

Day 40 anything but nuts, seeds, chips or other really crunchy stuff until 3 months.

My drinking instructions were the same as yours.

I managed to get in all my Protein and Water starting day 5 and I transitioned through the food staged a little slower than my plan allowed because I had lots of restriction. I wasn't nauseous (except from a medication I had to take for almost a month) and I never vomited, but It was 3-4 months before I truly felt comfortable eating. I have no food intolerances and can eat anything at this point, although coffee starts to irritate my tummy if I drink more than 16oz at a time and I can't do carbonation.

Edited by Kindle

I was on high Protein low carb, 1,000 calorie diet for two weeks prep. I had 5 pounds to lose pre-op and ended up losing thirty. Post op. I was ice chips after surgery, Clear Liquids day one, which I promptly threw up. It was one or two ounces at a time. Day two continued to be clear because of vomiting day three full liquids, which I continued for three weeks, then two weeks of soft/puréed foos, then regular diet. With no less than 80 grams of carbs and no more than150 grams of carbs and between 1,000-1200 calories. I don't always make it to a 1,000 calories and have never eaten 1,200. If I go too far under 1,000 my weight loss slows way done.

For three months before surgery I was on a twelve hundred calorie diet, that was when I lost most of that thirty pounds.

I am vegetarian, and allergic to ALL seafood, red dyes, processed foods, stevia, and most artificial sugars.

2 weeks prior to surgery I was told to increase my Protein to between 60-80gm and my Water to 64 ounces a day.

Day of surgery I was liquids only and NPO after 9pm

In the hospital I was offered tea, Liquid Protein, vegetable broth and Jello. I drank the broth & Protein.< /p>

I was released on full liquids. I was told I could add a small amount of Peanut Butter to my protein shakes, but no more than 1 tsp.

Weeks 3-6 - I was allowed purees and soft foods.

Weeks 7 - present I can eat whatever I can tolerate.

I am to each between 600 -800 calories, at least 60 gms protein and 48-64 ounces of Water.< /p>

I've had no issues eating or drinking anything. It took me 4 days to build up to drinking all my protein and water when I was released from the hospital.

The biggest challenge is eating around my allergies but that's something I've lived with for a very long time now. It took forever to find a Protein Drink I liked and wasn't allergic to. Other than a rash from the bandages I've had a fairly uneventful surgery and recovery.