Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm currently waiting on my surgery date, but I'm getting nervous about pain. I've somehow developed a crazy reaction to hydrocodone, tramadol, any of those opioids. I have no idea what I'm going to do post-op. How long did you need pain meds? What did you take?

I'm currently waiting on my surgery date, but I'm getting nervous about pain. I've somehow developed a crazy reaction to hydrocodone, tramadol, any of those opioids. I have no idea what I'm going to do post-op. How long did you need pain meds? What did you take?

Make sure you doctor's are aware of your aversion to opioids. You might not need any. I didn't. I was up and walking in recovery. I was a tiny bit sore but no worse than menstrual cramps. I didn't take any pain meds in the hospital and I didn't get the prescription filled post op. Stay positive!

Edited by Blerdgirl

I'm allergic to opiods. I was on a pump with something in it right after surgery that worked really well.

Just tell your doctor about your aversion.

mine had a solution that worked great.

I'm getting a prescription for dilaudid. I was mostly on Tylenol while in the hospital but did get a couple of boosts of dilaudid when I got uncomfortable. I wish they would just let me take Tylenol now that I'm out, but they said no pills and that the children's liquid has too much sugar.

I don't remember the pain medicine that was given in the hospital. I know that I only needed one dose that they gave directly after surgery. Walking was my pain medicine. The only pain I had was from the gas associated with they surgery and the walking really helped.

IV dilaudid and toradol in the hospital. Sent home with liquid Vicodin and oxycodone tablets.

Not sure what they gave me IV in the hospital, but I went home about 16 hours after surgery and never needed anything more than the sublingual NSAID they gave me. And I only took 4 doses of that. Opioids would have been major overkill.

I'm allergic to opiods. I was on a pump with something in it right after surgery that worked really well.

Just tell your doctor about your aversion.

mine had a solution that worked great.

They offered a morphine pump but I never needed it. Thankfully I never had any gas pains.

Edited by Blerdgirl

Had Dilaudid in hospital and sent home with oxycodone. I went home about 36 hours after surgery on a Tuesday night, and took it with Tylenol until Friday. Didn't need anything after that. To be honest, the pain was about 25% of what I'd expected. It was t bad at all. Still gave a little uncomfortableness at incision sites but no real pain to speak of.

I was on morphine in the hospital, then liquid Hydrocodone for two weeks once home. (I had a pulled internal stitch that hurt like hell.) after that, just tylenol as needed but my pain was greatly reduced after 2 weeks.

If I may ask, what is your "weird" reaction? Many people (not saying that you're one of them!) confuse allergies with side effects. Narcotics are narcotics and they all cause pretty much the same side effects. It is very common for someone to think they have an allergy to something when they truly don't.

Btw, Dilaudid is the strongest opiate available that can be given to patients post-operatively. It is eye-opening to hear some people express that they had little to no pain, while others needed the strongest narcotic in existence. This thread is very valuable to inform others that there can be such a broad spectrum to post-op pain. Thanks for creating this thread!

I had IV TYLENOL in the hospital and it was super!

Did your dr say the liquid Tylenol had too much sugar? Yes it has sugar but in the grand scheme of things not enough to worry about early out. You are not eating much so not like you're gonna go over your calorie count.

I had IV TYLENOL in the hospital and it was super!

Did your dr say the liquid Tylenol had too much sugar? Yes it has sugar but in the grand scheme of things not enough to worry about early out. You are not eating much so not like you're gonna go over your calorie count.

I was told no liquid Tylenol, because of the sugar. I was told that if I wanted to TRY it, it probably wouldn't hurt anything, but to make sure to try it at home, and that the surgeon really didn't recommend it.

I was told no liquid Tylenol, because of the sugar. I was told that if I wanted to TRY it, it probably wouldn't hurt anything, but to make sure to try it at home, and that the surgeon really didn't recommend it.

Wow. Oh are you having RNY? Maybe it's a dumping issue, I had the sleeve. It was recommended to be by my dr, the liquid Tylenol.