Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Regrets after Gastric Sleeve Surgery, is this normal?

Yes it is normal. It gets better on mushies than liquids, but when you're on regular solid foods you should stay full at least 4 hours if you're not drinking with your meals. Just be careful about your snack choices and you should be fine.

So, I get mushies starting tomorrow. I'm worried because I've been having these strange pains in my stomach. Did anyone experience these? I can drink a sip and then a pain starts in my stomach and then to my chest. It goes away in a few seconds but I haven't experienced this before. Anyone else experience this?

@@Onephatmom yes, everything I drink causes that pain. Great description as I have been struggling to describe how it feels to people. I believe it is gas, because when I use the gas x strips the pains are less frequent. They are driving me nuts, though. So painful and it happens literally every time I take a sip of anything - I haven't even had food yet as I am only 7 days post op. Try the gas x strips and try walking a lot. I told my doctor about it and he didn't seem worried, so maybe it's normal and will go away with time? I hope! Good luck ????

I haven't read everyone's follow up posts but I think it's completely normal to feel regret to a degree. We'd be dishonest with ourselves to say this is a cake walk. I felt regret and disappointed when facing crummy GERD issues. As they resolve and I'm closer to hitting 50 lbs down, the regret lifts and the excitement begins. It's a transformation. Reality sinks in that you just can't eat big anymore. If you used food to self sooth, you now have to find something to replace it. For example, I wanted to enjoy a few sips of wine yesterday... burned like hell going down. That goes on the "Just not worth it" list. Anyhow, regret is normal. Spinning into depression means it's time to get help.

I am only 1 day post op and things went pretty well, I am home and experiencing nausea and some discomfort. I feel overwhelmed with the life changes that are in front of me and feel sad--Has anyone experienced this and if so does it pass? I also am worried that I won't get 60 oz of liquid in daily , which I was told is essential to prevent dehydration.

The whole thing feels surreal right now, I appreciate any thoughts you might have.I did not jump into this, I gave it a great deal of time, exploration and thought before committing to this surgery.

Thanks

Oh wow. What you're describing feels exactly like after I gave birth and had a C-section with complications/infection. I had depression for a long time after that and felt my life was pointless. It took me months to pull out of it.

I also went to the hospital overnight last year for gastroenteritis and the next couple days felt very off and depressed. This time, I recognized the symptoms and tied them to my physiological state.

I think when the body has gone through something major it affects the brain chemistry somehow. If you can logically tell yourself you're just depressed post-op and ride it out, I think it will pass and get better day by day.

@@JennsinCA

I am buying 5oz greek yogurts that have 11g Protein and then I put 1 scoop/1TBS of GENEPRO unflavored Protein Powder (30g) and that gives me 41g of Protein in 5oz of yogurt. If I can get down 2 of those a day that gives me 82g of protein which is pretty good for only 10oz

Hi,

Can you tell me where you purchase GENEPRO? I am currently using pure protein in a shake, but I like the idea of adding it to yogurt. I looked online but was not able to find it. Thanks

I just found it on Amazon, but it is a scoop not a Tablespoon that adds that much Protein. Just want to be sure this is correct, but I am ordering it also, great idea!!!!

@@Disney24fan and @@Wmc1231 I get it from Amazon it is a scoop for 30g but each scoop is 1Tbs. It even comes with a 1Tbs measuring spoon. I love this Protein Powder I am sooo sick of Protein Shakes so this has been a blessing. I have a hard time eating very much since I always have a full/not hungry feeling all the time so just having to worry aboit getting in 2 yogurts to get 84g of Protein is perfect for me. I have even added it to Soups, SF pudding, refried Beans, and broth.

Edited by JennsinCA

'Buyers remorse' is a common term that is used in the hospital where I had my surgery. My first day post-op I completely lost it. I was so emotional. Thankfully, it IS normal! It's a huge life change. You have permanently altered your body, plus there are hormones flying around everywhere :) Congratulations on getting the surgery. Get ready for life to become awesome!!!

I would also like to know if people get very hungry post op? I am one week, on mushy foods, but I am hungry a great deal of the time. I can't eat much at once, trying to drink as much as I can, but find I need to eat every few hours, physical hunger, not psychological. Do people experience this?

Didn't really notice hunger until about 7 months out when I started kicking up my workouts -- I workout nearly 7-9 times per week including hot yoga, power yoga, Pilates, barre and spin classes so I burn a lot!! Some days I do a double workout (power yoga & spin) so I burn over 1000 on those days and really need to replenish. Everyone's different first few months I was emotional because everyone around me was eating what they wanted when they wanted and I was so incredibly restricted especially with post op gastritis and inflammation. It gets better just be patient. Now I can tolerate Cookies chips and crackers way too easily ???????????? I have to watch out!

Perfectly normal. Your body has a huge adjustment to make and there are hormone changes to deal with as well. 30 days out I began to feel good about it. 3.5 months out, I know my choice was correct. Be patient with yourself and rest. The first 30 days are the toughest.