Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So, my dad is 430lbs. He recently tried to ask his insurance (United Health Care) if they'd cover the Gastric Bypass. His doctor thinks it's a good idea. My dad has sleep apnea, arthritis, HBP. He needs this surgery.. his knees are bone on bone.. Anyway, he called to see if they would cover it but they said that his plan wont cover any form of weightloss surgery, even if it's medically necessary. what should he do now?

So, my dad is 430lbs. He recently tried to ask his insurance (United Health Care) if they'd cover the Gastric Bypass. His doctor thinks it's a good idea. My dad has sleep apnea, arthritis, HBP. He needs this surgery.. his knees are bone on bone.. Anyway, he called to see if they would cover it but they said that his plan wont cover any form of weightloss surgery, even if it's medically necessary. what should he do now?

I work for them as well as have them for coverage and mine was excluded as well.

\Dusgusting how insurance companies know more than the doctors. Before my husband retired, his insurance wouldn't cover the surgery for me. Now he has medicare and I have Blue Shield Of Calif and they had no problem covering me.

I HAVE CAREMORE AND THEY COVERED IT , MAYBE YOU NEED TO FIND ANOTHER INSURANCE COMPANY WHO WILL!

GOOD LUCK.

BeautyInProgress where are you? I have United Health Care through my Medicaid, and they cover me, I am in Michigan. They have a few requirements but they cover it, I don't know if there are different extentions of United Health Care, but that is what I have.

Hi everyone, thanks for the replies. Thinnerme2015, My dad lives in Montana and he has UHC through his work. I'm guessing they do have different plans and his doesn't cover WLS. I've tried talking to him about mexico but he's just really skeptical about it. He doesn't have a lot of extra money to spend on more insurance, so i'm just not sure. :(

@@BeautyInProgress

Have your dad check out some of the Mexico surgery boards here on BP. A lot of people have had successful surgery there. You can also check out Care Credit to help finance the surgery.

Edited by Mayaresearchmom

The reason one person can have UHC, Aetna, BCBs, etc and have it covered and another person can have the same company and not have it covered is the insurance companies cover what your employer contracts with them to cover. I work for UHC and UHC has a bariatric exclusion written in our contract. I have a friend that works for a title company and they have coverage through UHC and it is covered. It's based on what your employer contracts with the insurance company to have covered.

I had united healthcare medicare last year so I had to change my plan to humana gold. They will pay for the surgery and my doctor takes it. If your father has medicare its open enrollment until Dec. 7. He can switch carriers till then. Hope this helps.