Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What should I bring to Tijuana?

How was everyone's pain after surgery in Mexico? All I am worried about is the 2 plane rides home 3 days after surgery. I haven't really heard anyone talk about how it was to make a big trip right after surgery.

I had no problems....no pain, etc. I wore the compression stockings provided, and sipped Water, muscle milk and pedialyte the whole time. Walked a bunch in the airports to help prevent clots. I was traveling alone, so I had to ask people for help lifting my bag onto the X-ray belt as well as in and out of the overhead bin on the plane because of my weight lifting restriction. It had wheels, so I had no issues pulling it through the airports. The only dilemma was how to get it in my truck in long term parking? I ended up unpacking it, throwing everything in the back seat and then putting the nearly empty bag in.

Hi,

Kindle has some great ideas. My flight and trip home was also very long. The stomach discomfort is not really pain, like you will be in pain all the way home. It is helpful to have someone carry your heavy items, so you don't strain your stomach muscles. I had finished all my pain meds before I left Mexico, and did not need any even when I got home. My suggestion is that after surgery if you have a lot of pain, ask your Doctors for some pain meds to take with you. Truly, there is not much pain after this surgery, more discomfort in the abdomen, nothing to keep you from walking and moving around.

RadiantGal

How was everyone's pain after surgery in Mexico? All I am worried about is the 2 plane rides home 3 days after surgery. I haven't really heard anyone talk about how it was to make a big trip right after surgery.

The only pain I had was gas and by the time I got to the airport - it didn't exist. The airport is fairly small so I walked to my gate. I didn't experience any pain at all.. I used my jacket instead of the pillow underneath the seatbelt for takeoff.

That's what I like to know also as I'm traveling from the east coast to Mexico. Also should I buy compression socks or stockings for my return.

If you have large calfs, buy them. When I got there- they ran out so I used mine. I had the ones that came up to my knees.

@@bams1220 thanks for asking, I keep forgetting to order mine, anyone have specs on the compression socks?

Check with your doctor about the stockings. I was provided with crotch-high compression stockings that I put on and wore everyday, Including on the plane, until I got home. And as per OCC's cardiologist, I bought an incentive spirometer from Amazon to use preop and postop. He had emailed instructions how to use it and how often. I was actually able to increase my lung function by about 20% even before surgery.

Edited by Kindle

I am having my sleeve done in TJ in two weeks. With Dr Vazquez. Can't find anything about him. Getting nervous

So why did you pick him? What was your criteria? What kind of research did you do? Who else did you look at?

@@emmuje875 I got these compression stockings from Amazon. If my doctor gives me some, I will wear the ones they provide...but I have wide calves, so I got a pair just in case.

I also travel alot and tend to swell up in my ankles, so I will probably use them even after surgery....until my calves shrink! (Can't wait!!!)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000A33GCQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s03?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Happy Monday :)

Edited by shizwiz

I got the same ones from Walmart

I dont know what the neosporin is for they use surgical glue called derma bond you dont want to mess with that and you will heal fine. Dont over pack is my suggestion! People that come alone have to take all of their stuff too and from the hospital! I brought lots of sweats flip flops glasses i usually wear contsct lenses but didnt want to mess w them, bring gas x strips they help a little bit. Walmart is a safet walk for anything you may need and the take us dollars

I dont know what the neosporin is for they use surgical glue called derma bond you dont want to mess with that and you will heal fine. Dont over pack is my suggestion! People that come alone have to take all of their stuff too and from the hospital! I brought lots of sweats flip flops glasses i usually wear contsct lenses but didnt want to mess w them, bring gas x strips they help a little bit. Walmart is a safet walk for anything you may need and the take us dollars

How are you!!? Been waiting for you to Check in post op. How was it?

No pain at all this has been the best surgical experience ever, ebveryone from the driver to the hotel and clinic have been so wonderful! My sister went to the OCC today for juvaderm! She loved dr so !

You guys are in awesome hands