Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Iam totally scared of getting sleeved. I went to the hospital on October 3 over a painful hernia Ive been having for almost 4 years. I've gone to other hospitals and they've just ignored me. I went to this one and I was happy to hear they will repair it ????, BUT they said they weren't going to repair it because if I gained weight it will be worse so they told me they will not repair the hernia without getting sleeved too. At this point I've NEVER heard of this procedure or even thought about wls. I said ok and signed papers and Iam scheduled to get the operation 12/01/14. I weigh 235lbs 5'0 I have a bmi of 40 i know I NEED it but it all came tooo soon l

I can't imagine having Bariatric surgery "forced" upon me. That would make me scared too! I actually had a Bariatric surgeon tell me over four years ago that the only way I would ever lose and keep weight off is to have WLS. I was so irritated I went and lost 70 pounds on my own. Then I gained 60 back over a few years and realized he was right. So I made the decision myself to have it. But this is a huge, life changing decision.

Please do a lot of reading and research on these forums. You will find many many people who have had this surgery and what to expect. Your life will not be the same after this surgery and you need to be mentally prepared for that.

Hi Iam totally scared of getting sleeved. I went to the hospital on October 3 over a painful hernia Ive been having for almost 4 years. I've gone to other hospitals and they've just ignored me. I went to this one and I was happy to hear they will repair it , BUT they said they weren't going to repair it because if I gained weight it will be worse so they told me they will not repair the hernia without getting sleeved too. At this point I've NEVER heard of this procedure or even thought about wls. I said ok and signed papers and Iam scheduled to get the operation 12/01/14. I weigh 235lbs 5'0 I have a bmi of 40 i know I NEED it but it all came tooo soon l

Have you gone to any seminars about the procedure? Did they explain what the surgery entails? Discuss what eating will be like post op and going forward?

My advice is read through the forums here. Seek out a support group in your area. If you have any questions, write them down and ask your doctor BEFORE your surgery.

WLS is life changing. Don't do it if you aren't 100% in the game. I would postpone until you have time to get educated and get your head around it all.

I've been researching VSG for over 7 months and I still feel like there's more I need to know. Only a few weeks of contemplation would have me in a tailspin. If you qualify already and have no hoops to jump through, you are lucky, but this can't be fly-by-night decision. There's just too much involved; too many things at stake. Under your circumstances, I would delay the surgery and begin researching if this is something you can committ yourself to doing. Have you researched the bariatric surgeon? Met with a nutritionist? Whatever you decide, good luck to you! =)

I have been researching about it pros and cons and such ,basically I don't have insurance after the procedure I will apply for financial help or a discount as the doctor suggested ( he was very nice ). if I do get accepted I'll have some sort of classes after the operation if I don't get accepted I'm basically on my own

I got told the same thing today. The only difference is that I have to wait 4 months for the it. I guess it will give me time to prepare for what is coming. I am not happy about living with the pain for another 6 to 8 months( 4 months for the surgery, and more for the weight loss to take effect). How did you get approved for surgery so quickly?

I did notice I got my surgery date pretty quickly. Iam not sure why, but I thank the doctor who was in care for me when I went to hospital. He knew I was in pain and fed up with being ignored because of not having insurance. I guess he felt sorry for me and pulled some strings. I went to the emergency room 10/03/14 I was released the same day with an appointment on 10/08/14 to evaluate and have my pre op visit 11/19/14 and surgery date 12/01/14 . Considering I live in Chicago and this hospital is ALWAYS saturated I do believe my Doc was doing me some favors

It's because you don't have insurance. Most of us have to get pre-certified or approved by our insurance company before we can get a surgical date.

I definitely wouldn't agree to wls until you have time to process it. I'm two days post-op and am asking myself what I got myself into... LOL!

You certainly don't have to have the surgery if it scares you...its your life, you make the decisions. Surgery is not for everyone...don't let yourself get pressured into it. You may not be ready...it's a big life change. Educate yourself as much as you can and make the decision that is best for you. I'm coming to this forum just for that reason...I want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly before I make my decision.

Yes, I am trying to get as much info that I can. So far only heard of good things ???? as in results . I've been through two csections and I am pretty sure this will be a easier recovery since its done laparoscopically . I just read that people actually have food addictions. I've never thought about it that way. It's so pathetic to be addicted to food. Iam not an attention whore lol. It MY opinion on MY SELF.

ELI.p.m - Slightly judgemental aren't you? If you are not addicted to food why do you have to have surgery? Can you not exercise enough to lose the weight? I'm neither addicted to food, nor anti-exercise, I have an incisional hernia the size of your apparent ego that prevents me from doing much. Am I also, pathetic because of that? How about recognizing the fact people are trying to better themselves then to poorly cloak a put down? Classic psych....put down others because you feel bad about yourself.

Apparently you didnt read the big bold letters that says its MY opinion on MY SELF or maybe you did and your like those 1000 of ppl that only look for things that offend them and take it up the butt. I don't know what you grasped from that. But it means "I had a thought about me". I ALSO WROTE I'm not an attention w h o r e so I wasen't looking for pity. Please read before you write sheesh