Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long did it take you?

At least 3 months. I can't remember exactly because I started in one program and went through quite a bit of it but then switched to another program and had to start some of it over again.

They need time to do all kinds of tests and they seem to do them one at a time. Of course, which tests, etc. depends on the facility that you are using. I had to do breathing tests, some people do sleep studies (I was already on a CPAP but had to have them come to my house to make sure my machine was up to standards still), they did MRIs or something to check on the liver, had to go to informational sessions that were required, they check for gall stones in another study, blood work, had to meet with a psychiatrist to get there approval (one facility used a psychiatrist, another used a social worker of some sort), had to meet with a nutritionist, meet with the surgeon, and on and on. Each test was on its own day and each were at least a week or so apart. Once you pass all these tests, then they have to get your insurance's approval. That takes the longest!! And then they have to schedule the surgery and hope that they aren't too booked! It will also depend on your insurance. Some insurance companies have you go through a 3-6 month weight loss program first, some just want to know which programs you have tried and failed at. I think my insurance required at least 3 different official programs. I would think that 3 months would be the minimum.

It took me 9 months. My insurance required 6 months worth of physician or dietician managed weigh ins, a psychological exam, a mountain of paperwork and then of corse all of the medical tests.

It took only 2 days to get the approval back once everything was submitted but my doctors office sat on the paperwork for almost a month before submitting it. The nurse who does that went on vacation and there was a screw up while my stuff sat there.

You just have to stay on top of them.