Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Whats a reasonable goal

Im 245, in day 2 of pre-op diet. Will be sleeved in the 18th of Nov. What is a good goal? How much could I possibly lose before the new year? I want to make the best of my "honeymoon" period.

Hi!

I originally based my goal on where my Dr. said my weight should be (150). Now that I am at 160, I realize that I am completely comfortable here. My Dr. said they would like me at 150, but it's what I am comfortable with. I am currently a size 8-10, and I'm feeling like I am too small (I NEVER thought I would say that), my friends, and family are concerned I am too small (and look sick). I think after I tone up it will all look better. My collar bone sticks out, it's pretty gross. Everyone wears their weight differently. My Mom didn't believe me when I told her I was 160lbs. She said she wished she carried weight like that lol. She thought I was a size 4-6. I would initially pick a goal your Dr. advises and revisit in the future. Good luck to you!!! I wish you nothing but success.

The realistic goal according to my surgeon is 1 to 2 pounds a week on average. Remember, there will be periods of time you do not lose weight followed by losing 2 to 5 pounds. As long as the scale is showing a loss or holding steady, I do not worry. I know the weight will come off in its own good time. I also recognize wanting to plot it out and hoping for a fast downward slide. Good luck with the surgery!

You are just ten pounds above where I started. You did not say what your height was, but I am 5'4". What I did was reflect on what adult weight I was when I felt the healthiest, which was 135 pounds. That is do-able and not too extreme for my age (close to 63). It also still gives me a reasonable weight of 140 pounds, to allow for a little bounce back of five pounds. The surgeon approved 135 as a good expectation for my post-op results.

I picked 150 which is at a BMI of 25, which is "normal". I know BMI has its issues, but it is as good an indicator as any for now.

You are just ten pounds above where I started. You did not say what your height was, but I am 5'4". What I did was reflect on what adult weight I was when I felt the healthiest, which was 135 pounds. That is do-able and not too extreme for my age (close to 63). It also still gives me a reasonable weight of 140 pounds, to allow for a little bounce back of five pounds. The surgeon approved 135 as a good expectation for my post-op results.

im 5'5. Were pretty close!

It's really hard to know how to pick a goal. They are all just such arbitrary numbers. I am 5'5" and I started at 238. I am fairly muscular and have a large frame, so I carried my weight pretty well. My surgeon's nut took a bunch of body measurements and asked questions about my weight history, lifestyle and activities. She gave me a goal weight of 160. I however gave myself a goal of 150 because this is what I weighed back in my 20's when I was very physically fit (I was a raft guide and ski instructor with ripped arms and six pack abs ???? ). But personally I would have been happy at 170.

So fast forward....I blew by the nut's goal at 6 months, then passed my own goal at 7 months. I'm been eating at "maintenance" now for 4 months and I seem to have stabilized around 140ish. I think our bodies are just going to find their new balance and no "goal number" can change that.

I picked 138 because that's what the Drs chart said. I really don't care. Somewhere near that is great for me.

I agree with the others. My body will probably tell me when it's done losing.