Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Definitely Not The Reaction I Expected @_@ Sad and Disappointed

I'm sitting here at my desk at work and I just feel kinda numb. :unsure: I've been so unbelievably excited about getting sleeved, and starting a brand new life, with a brand new body and a brand new me.

I have been calling my doctor's office, and my insurance company everyday this week to find out the status of my doctor's request for escalation. My insurance company requires 6 months of doctor supervised weight loss, I've only completed 4 but all of my other requirements have been met and my surgeon felt it was worth a try to see if they would let me have my surgery early.

When I called the insurance company today, they told me that pending my final approval (which should come within the next week), my surgery date is scheduled for December 16th. I thoroughly expected that I would be jumping up and down, yelling and screaming from joy. But instead I'm just kinda numb and somber. :mellow: Maybe it actually hasn't really set in with me yet, or maybe I'm still grieving the loss of one of my beloved cats on Tuesday, but I so expected a completely different reaction to this wonderful news.

Has anyone else felt this way when they first found out, and if so, did the blah feeling go away, and the excitement return? I have a monthly pre-op support group to go to tonight, and maybe I'll bring this up at the meeting.

Just really disappointed in my reaction :(

absolutely yes! i felt the exact same way when the date was finally set. it was like, gee... no more hoops to jump through, nothing i can do to make this happen or to improve my chance for success except eat less, which is the hardest thing in the world for me to do consistently. somber is a great word to describe the way i felt.

by the way, it's been about 1 week since i found out, and i'm really looking forward to this happening again, so let the feeling flow, it will be replaced shortly.

{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}} on the loss of your feline friend.

I felt the same way. I think I felt down because I was divorcing food and there was no turning back now, this was the real deal. I'm postop and still struggle with my old friend good not being here for me. I'm glad to hear you have a support group, I would encourage you to bring it up. It's great to have people who can support you.

I hope things get better, I'm sorry to hear about your kitty. :(

Edited by SBovee

@jessiquoi Thanks for the words of encouragement and the big hug! :) The pre-op support group that I am attending tonight is actually taught by my psychologist at the hospital center. Hopefully something will be said that will bring the spark back.

Perfectly normal. $h1t just got real. This process will be a roller coaster of Up, Down and "Meh" in between. Think about all the things you'll be able to do when you're healthy. It is soooo worth it!

@SBovee Thanks so much! I don't think my somberness is relatedly in any way to my separation from food. I've been cutting back on the amount of food that I've been eating for some time now, and I really don't feel like I'm being deprived anymore. I'm starting to think that maybe it has something to do with the fact that although I have a date, I don't have that FINAL go ahead yet. I just want to be happy and excited again.

@bikrchk It is so funny that you say that because I was just thinking about visiting some of my favorite online clothing stores to see what kinda of cool stuff that I'll be able to wear one day soon, that I normally wouldn't even bother to look at.

Thanks for putting a smile back on my face. Now I just need to get my attitude adjusted. ;)

The same thing has been going on with me lately and I have not even gotten a surgery date yet. My insurance (UHC required a 6 month supervised diet also. I have completed everything with the exception of the final diet appointment on 11/11/2014. Since this diet appointment is in the same office with the surgon they will submit to insurance for final approval at the time of this appointment. So this last month just waiting on this last thing to happen I have been kinda just blah. I kept thinking I am almost there why am I not more excited. I guess it is the fact that when your are jumping through all the hoops your adrenalin is up but once you have done everything it’s kind of anti-climactic.

@Chrys2L I also have UHC. They have been really helpful whenever I call them asking questions. I too am required to do 6 months, and my last appointment is scheduled for December 9th. So my surgeon is trying to get authorization now so that I don't have to wait until next year to have my surgery. I now just have to wait for UHC to give me the final thumbs up!

I'm sitting here at my desk at work and I just feel kinda numb. :unsure: I've been so unbelievably excited about getting sleeved, and starting a brand new life, with a brand new body and a brand new me.

I have been calling my doctor's office, and my insurance company everyday this week to find out the status of my doctor's request for escalation. My insurance company requires 6 months of doctor supervised weight loss, I've only completed 4 but all of my other requirements have been met and my surgeon felt it was worth a try to see if they would let me have my surgery early.

When I called the insurance company today, they told me that pending my final approval (which should come within the next week), my surgery date is scheduled for December 16th. I thoroughly expected that I would be jumping up and down, yelling and screaming from joy. But instead I'm just kinda numb and somber. :mellow: Maybe it actually hasn't really set in with me yet, or maybe I'm still grieving the loss of one of my beloved cats on Tuesday, but I so expected a completely different reaction to this wonderful news.

Has anyone else felt this way when they first found out, and if so, did the blah feeling go away, and the excitement return? I have a monthly pre-op support group to go to tonight, and maybe I'll bring this up at the meeting.

Just really disappointed in my reaction :(

Nah, I think that is totally normal for some of us. I was the same way - somber and quiet. The anethestic department nurse at the hospital said to me when I pre-admitted myself prior to surgery - "well, aren't you just so excited!" (in a "you're going on a fabulous vacation" voice) and I said "No, actually I am not. This is major surgery and I am a bit scared." She paused like my response surprised her and said "Oh...yes, that is true, it is major surgery but you are in good hands."

And I think it is okay to be really excited and happy too - many different personalities and ways to deal with things. :)

I think between now and the actual day of my surgery, I'm going to have a few ups and downs.

It hit me hard when I saw I had 4 weeks to go on my ticker.

I went to my last appointment on 10/31 and was scheduled for surgery for 12/12/14. Then had to wait for approval. Got the approval on 11/6. I was so happy at first, now I'm not sure. I've been wanting to have WLS for years now. I'm scared. The rational me knows that everything will be just fine. The irrational me thinks the opposite.

There's so many changes in my life right now. I had to quit smoking to have this surgery. So I've been 5 weeks smoke free. Huge change.

We just bought a house on Saturday. Our settlement will be on 1/5/15. I am so nervous about how I will get the entire current house packed up, fixed up and ready for a renter by then. We just brought a ton of boxes home and I'll start packing this weekend.

Just all in all I am a nervous wreck. I'm nervous about how I'll look after. I'm nervous that being thin will age me. I'm nervous that my double chin will turn into yucky floppy skin. Nervous about getting compliments and questions and not knowing how to respond. I guess all this nervousness is normal. I'm hoping it will be replaced by the excitement.

I am excited, but because this is so permanent, I'm also worried about it. The excitement will kick in when the weight starts to drop off. Then we'll know its been worth it. Hang in there...

Edited by anissad