Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Today, I had my first appointment with the bariatric surgeon, Dr. Burpee, in Tucson. It did not go well. After looking through my paperwork, he said he doesn’t like to do revisions, and that he probably wouldn’t do it. (sigh) I was trying so hard not to get my hopes up beforehand, but I couldn’t help myself. He noticed my bipolar medication listed on the list, and just said “Lamictal?”

Then he noticed I have some minor heart issues. My cardiologist has been wanting me to have the surgery for years, and I told him that. He said he would get the endoscopy notes from my gastroenterologist, look them over, and let me know. He said I could check with two doctors in Phoenix (175 miles away) and see if they might do it. I feel frustrated that he said he does revisions at the seminar, and the website says they do revisions, because he made it sound like he never does. I am hesitant to try this all over again in Phoenix. They do offer a webinar with a test at the end, so I don’t have to drive all the way there for yet another seminar. I plan to start the process with Dr. Juarez, and Dr. Fang in Phoenix while I wait to hear back from Dr. Burpee. I will take the webinar and test tonight, but I hate to get my hopes up again.

Did he give you an actual reason for not wanting to take you on? It might be helpful to you going forward. Just a thought.

Good luck to you, don't give up. :)

p.s. he sounds like a dick anyways.

Edited by woo woo

That's terrible to hear! Though I did end up having my surgery recently, I had a couple of setbacks too with getting the clearances and it really does feel like running a race, only to trip at the finish line. Sometimes committing yourself to making the decision to have wls is the hardest part- then to be frowned at during your first appointment must be disheartening. Please don't give up though- we're all here to support you! :)

Consider yourself lucky that you did not make a mistake by having the surgery with a doctor that is not 100% on your side! Forget him! Go find someone who is positive and wants you to succeed!

So, apparently he does not like to do revisions on anyone. I would take that as a not so subtle hint that perhaps he shouldn't be doing revisions anyway. My suggestion would be to check out that other doctor further away. You are worth the extra effort.

I agree with these posters. You and your surgeon both need to be enthusiastic about working together or it's a recipe for trouble later.

If you are having a revision, you definitely want a surgeon that has experience in doing that. If Dr. Burpee doesn't like doing revisions, he probably isn't who you want doing it anyway. You are worth the extra drive, and time to get the right doctor for you! Hang in there and good luck on your journey!

There is a surgeon in my town that is well known and is suppose to be one of the best. I had a stomach stapling in 1980 and it was not successful at all. I went to this doctor several years back.....first thing he said to me was I really hate doing revisions. It made me very uncomfortable. If he hated them that bad .... then I did not have confidence in him operating on me. It took me several years to be able to have the revision. (Mainly alot of it was self pay). I had to travel 400 miles to have my surgery......but I have no regrets and I feel they took very good care of me. The minute the doctors looked at my records......he said this is what needs to be done and mapped it all out for me. He came across very confident which reassured me and made me at ease. It is very important to have the right doctor that you have confidence in.

Thank you for all of your support! I already took the online webinar for the doctors in Phoenix last night. I will wait to hear from their office, and then follow whatever steps I need to follow. The Phoenix facility is a Center of Excellence, which is required by my insurance company. I agree with you that if he doesn't like to do revisions anymore, then I should go to a doctor who does. I plan to call the Phoenix office and ask if one of their three doctors does revisions.

I am in the Phoenix location and my doctor may be one that does revisions. She literally saved a young lady's life that had to have some type of revision. She is top notch so if you have to come here, you will be in excellent hands.

I'm in Phoenix -- using Dr Swain at Scottsdale Healthcare, also a Center of Excellence -- they also have a webinar online -- great surgeons, staff, etc --

I'd be a little afraid of letting him do the revision if he's not comfortable with it - but I hope you can find someone soon! Good luck :)

Great, amazing, wonderful news!!! I heard back from the surgeons in Phoenix, and they do revisions. The are SO encouraging. I've already been assigned a patient advocate. She said I should call and get an appointment on a Tuesday, so I can take their WLS 101 class while I am there. My sister lives about 45 minutes away from there, and I think I can stay with her if I need to spend the night. i have several "assignments" to do this week. Call me cardiologist for an appointment for clearance. Find a psychologist for the psychological clearance. call my PCP for his letter of recommendation. I downloaded all the forms to give the doctors so they can just fill them out, so the process will be a little easier. I have hope again! Now I can go back to my plan of trying to replace a meal a day with a Protein drink. I think it will make it easier to try different Protein powders, and get used to eating less. In a week or two, I will try to go to replacing two meals a day. Since I know the surgery is in the future, I hope that will motivate me to stick with it. Thank you all for your encouragement!

That is FANTASTIC nws!