Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared of missing comfort foods!

I'm two weeks until my surgery date and am worried how I will feel and deal with not having constant comfort foods. I don't want crave them and find comfort in super unhealthy food and portions. How does everyone deal with? Or does getting full quicker help with cravings?!

You're not going to want to eat for a while and then very little after that. Then self control is what you have to stay away from your comfort foods. It's not to hard to do, I just stay away from it. Out of sight out of mind kind of thing.

I agree with Merkman. I've got my list of comfort foods too that I wonder if I'll be able to live without, but fear of "hurting" myself is keeping me from even wanting to try any of them. Honestly, for how much you need to drink to stay hydrated, you might not even feel those comfort food cravings- I really haven't. It takes a while (from my experience) to understand your body again and signals that its full- once you get your Protein in from a meal, I really don't have the desire anymore to eat the comfort sides.

Don't laugh, but your comfort foods change. Mine are now protein...tuna, salmon, cottage cheese, cheese, eggs. I don't want to eat the type of foods that make this surgery possible. Why go through this surgery if you are going to go back to your old ways. With a positive attitude and following your Drs guidelines you will do just fine. You will need your willpower, but you can do it.

Comfort foods? I see food on television, that in my life I would never eat, and I think about eating them. At the same time, I have developed new comfort foods. This happened while I was on a 6-week liquid diet before surgery when I basically lived on Protein shakes. I was allowed Jello and sugarless popsicles The popsicles are still a favorite. As soon as I am obsessing about some of my old foods, I will know I am in trouble. I am so grateful to have this opportunity to change, I don't want to blow it. I won't be out of the woods until I am out of the woods.

I used to think I wouldn't need to focus on food as much and I've found I focus more just trying to get the Protein & other nutrients in my body. By the time thats accomplished for the day, I have little room. I have experimented to moniter my tolerances for different foods and have kept "questionable" comfort foods to a minimum. A bite can satisfy for the longest time and I don't feel so deprived. My NUT preaches the 90/10 rule of eating well 90% of the time and the 10% in moderation foods become insignificant.

I agree with previous posters, your comfort foods change. I use to be a sugar addict. I wanted sweets ALL the time. Let me just say that one bout with dumping and your priorities change, and FAST! Lol. Seriously, I don't even crave sweets, they don't sound good anymore. I want meats. I want nutritious foods. My go to snack right now is a fresh apple. Before surgery, I'd go years without eating an Apple!

I'm having serious stress at this point in my life. Would a huge colossal donut from Shoppers and a diet coke make me "feel" better? The old me- yes. The 6 months post op me sat at the traffic light in front of Shoppers this morning and said to myself "damn I wish I could have a donut. OH WELL"

For me getting sick just isn't worth it. Feeding my emotions doesn't have the same hold on me.

I chose gastric bypass for this reason - my comfort foods are the type that will cause dumping, so that's a good thing. It will keep me from going back to that old habit of running to food when I am stressed or upset.

In the past few years, I've found other ways to comfort myself when I need to. I found I am very sensory oriented - and things like lighting a scented candle and watching the flickering flame, playing relaxing music, wrapping myself up in a fuzzy blanket, etc all help me tremendously to comfort myself when I need it. food was really just another sensory thing when you think about it, but I have 4 other senses and I've just found ways to soothe myself with them instead. These are all things I can do that don't have bad side-effect on my health!

Trust me, after surgery you will not miss comfort food. Food becomes fuel and nothing more, at least for me. I could care less what I eat so long as I get enough Protein.< /p>

You will no longer be tempted whatsoever by those comfort foods. Your body will strictly control what you can and cannot eat and how much. It sounds scary and unappealing but I am so glad to be done with cravings and binge eating. food is fuel now. It no longer controls me.

I had my surgery 3 weeks ago and am grieving the comfort of food. Having said that, I was only going to get sicker if I continued to eat the way I was eating. The surgery is a tool to help me get my life back. As soon as I get my energy back I'll get back to my pottery and fill my days with activities I haven't been able to do and thus cope differently. It's a new life and I think it's somewhat normal to feel anxious about.

It's a process.....and I cried like a baby the morning of my surgery. But am feeling better every day certainly lighter every day.

Good luck, Ruth

I'm a sleever, but my comments are general and apply to all surgeries. Like others, my comfort foods have changed. And I've found ways to get the flavors and textures I like. Early out, the Protein shakes helped when I wanted something sweet ( vanilla was my fav) or salty (chicken Protein powder). I use PB2 instead of Peanut Butter and enjoy it with apple slices. I make my own pumpkin spice latte using a sugar free Syrup, Starbucks instant Decaf, and soy milk (lactose intolerant after surgery). I also flavor up plain nonfat greek yogurt for the season. Right now, I'm mixing in pumpkin purée, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla, and splenda. Yum! Instead of chips, I eat pretzels. They are crunchy and salty and I don't like them well enough to overboard with them. For treats I like but can't limit on my own, such as Cheetos, chocolate candy and white cake, I only eat them when away from home so they are not in the house. It allows me to enjoy them occasionally.

Each of us has to find their own way.

Lynda

Edited by lsereno