Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bariatric Newbie from Maine

Hi everyone. I'm Stephanie. I'm 33 years old and from Central Maine. I am just starting my Gastric Bypss surgery program. I have already been approved by my insurance and will attend the informational seminar and support group this Friday, November 7th. From then on, I will schedule appointments to meet with the dietician and psychologist and then I will have my consultation with the surgeon.

I have to say, I am very excited to start this process, however I would be lying if I said there wasn't some fear in there as well. Fear of the unknown maybe? I have been classified as a "morbidly obese" person from as far back as I can remember. I have never ever been thin or comfortable in my own skin. I have no idea what it feels like. Although this body is killing me and it makes me miserable every day, in a strange way I have a hard time letting it go. Don't get me wrong, I very much am looking forward to a healthier me. One that I can be proud of and look in the mirror every day and love. But I have always been the fat girl in everything I've done and everywhere I've been. It's all I know. It's who I am. If I am not the fat girl anymore, then who am I? I do find comfort in food. I have for a long time. The freedom I have in food right now (although it's killing me) is another hard thing for me to give up, but I'm ready. I'm ready to find the new me. The better me. The relationship I have with food must end. It's time to break up :)

I have done tons of research recently about WLS and I know without a doubt it is my best option. I'm tired of losing and gaining and losing and gaining. Especially over the last four years. I probably have lost hundreds of pounds in the last 4 years, yet I'm 30 pounds heavier than in the beginning. How sad is that? Not only does that take a toll on my body physically, but it certainly doesn't do much for my emotional body either. I'm ready to make this liftestyle change.

Right now, my faith in God is all that matters and becoming the person I've always been meant to be. I'm sad it has taken me this long, but I can't think of that. All I can think is that I am finally making the change to a better me. A better wife to my husband, a better step-mom to my step-kids, and a better mother to my future child :)

I have been reading the posts here on this forum and you all are wonderful and so helpful and uplifting. I am looking forward to the support and doing this with all of you. I'm so glad I found it. I look forward to getting to know you all better and perhaps make a few online buddies. :) Good luck to everyone!

That's very beautifully written! And most of us (all of us, probably... :o ) know *exactly* how you fee/what you mean -- I'm a step or two ahead of you -- not much -- I've been to the info seminar and w/be meeting w/surgeon, dietitian, psychologist, etc., next week. I'm older than you (59, eek!, lol), but have also been thru the sames ups and downs (no pun intended...) in terms of weight loss -- I'm 5'10" and at about 340 now, geez, unbelievable - :o( -- But we're on our way, so pats on the back to us :o)

this whole experience definitely gives you a perspective that you can change your life for the better and it lets you realize you can break that relationship with food. good luck to you in your journey!

That's great news! Because that is exactly what I need. Very excited to be on this journey but getting impatient. I want it done like yesterday! :) But I know I have the rest of my life to be excited about now.