Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 weeks post op, needing help! :(

I'm feeling really discouraged and well just a little sad.

My sleeve was done October 6th, 2014, I am exactly 4 weeks post op and I've been in stall for almost 2 weeks.
Starting weight was 226, and I'm down to 215. Luckily I've lost inches but I'm starting to get really anxious.

I spoke to my nutritionist who isn't the most friendly or helpful and she said I should eat between 800-1000 calories since I'm going to the gym and am "active" but I work from home and sometimes have to spend hours on the computer so I'm too sure how active that is. Most desk jobs are considered sedentary aren't they?

When I make it to the gym (5-6 times a week) I do cardio for about 30-45 min or Zumba and low weights.

​My main concern is I'm averaging 500-700 calories a day, 70g Protein, and under 50 carbs. My nutritionist now has made me worry that I'm putting my body into starvation mode and thats why I'm not losing but I really don't get too hungry to eat much more.

My surgeon has already wanted me to start introducing some solids so I'm not on the soft/pureed foods anymore.

I'm just really worried that I've already failed. :(

Can anyone offer any suggestions on what I should be eating or doing to break this stall? :unsure:

first of all, you have NOT "already" failed. and please, take that phrase out of your vocabulary, because it sounds like you are EXPECTING to fail. :)

to me, the amount of exercise you are describing doing is NOT the definition of a sedentary person. so, give your nutritionist the benefit of the doubt of her professional knowledge (regardless of her unfriendly manner) and try upping your calories for a week. i bet you have great results!

one thing i remember from my WW days is that if you eat a little differently each day, it keeps your metabolism active. so even if you add two or three days a week of higher calories, i bet you will see a difference.

Actually, you're 3 weeks, not 4.....and while walking is great......adding in too much at the gym this early is not usually recommended. (you waited this long for the surgery...what's a couple of more weeks) And finally, I don't put a whole lot of credence in the "stick to the exact numbers" game.....especially from those that are not actually going thru or have already gone thru the process. (including nutritionists) Just get in what you can and take it easy. Keep you fluids up and don't worry too much right now about hitting specific numbers. You have plenty of time to adjust to what works for your specific body and routines. ;)

Thank you for your replies, I really appreciate the encouraging words.

my surgery was oct 6 also,so 3 weeks today!i haven't weighd myself since my last dr apt which was last Monday,but im definitely losing inches!i walk 30 mins a da on the tread and I also work at home on the pc,so im sedentary a lot thru put the day.im on purees for anote couple of weeks and im good with that.heartburn is killing me past couple days tho!im not allowed any exercise except walking and the most I can lift is 7lbs,drs orders!

That's what seems to be the norm but my Dr is so lenient it seems. He is already introducing foods for me. I'm taking it very very slow but this stall is killing me.

I stalled for almost a month starting the third week after surgery. I also was going to the gym 4-5 days a week, eating less than 1000 cals, low carb, lower fat, high Protein, blah, blah, blah. Mr. scale hated me. It felt a bit discouraging, but keep a couple things in mind:

• Weigh yourself weekly, not daily. Your weight will fluctuate throughout a day, but you'll likely see better overall weight loss after a full week.
  • Don't forget to look at what you've accomplished so far! Even 5 lbs a month is on track for 60 lbs loss in a year!
  • If your weight trajectory over months is downward then you're on the right track. There are stalls and even weeks it goes up a pound or two. We didn't put on a ton of flab overnight and it ain't comin' off overnight, but it will come off.
  • Buy some new (but cheap) new clothes on the way down. As those new clothes become looser your confidence is going to skyrocket.

Edited by AlwaysVegas

Hey itsjessica. I was sleeved on October 8th and had lost 23 lbs on my first pre-op visit at week #2 (lost 8 of it pre-op). My doctor told me last week that weeks #3 and #4 are going to be slow. He warned me that I may only lose 3 or 4 pounds total during these next 2 weeks as my body rehydrates. I am also getting in about 75 grams of Protein a day and between 600-700 calories per day on soft foods. Stay positive. You are barely out of the gate, so give yourself a break. You are worth it!!!

I had the same concerns as you did at your stage. I stressed big time because i knew I was at a huge calorie deficit with the exercise I was doing and with eating 500 to 600 calories. I only lost about 1 pound between weeks 3 and 4.

I was told by the nut to work in a few higher calorie and fat items to get in the calories until I was more able to "eat" the 850 calories on my own. I didn't exactly do that routinely but I was up to around 850 calories by month 2 and have stayed there. I'm 3 months and 3 weeks post op and have went from 273 SW to 225 today so almost 50 pounds. I guess my point is to relax. Your body will not go into starvation mode too quickly and you will gradually increase your calories. I didn't believe I would be 850 ever at 1 month post op.

Thanks that makes me feel 100 times better. I feel like my surgeon got paid for my surgery then just stopped caring. I have my next appointment November 5th so I'm definitely going to bring up all my concerns. I actually feel pretty good working out and have felt no "pulling" like some people describe when they work out. I have lost 3 inches from my waist so that excites me I guess I just need to ask my husband to hide the scale from me. It's so easy to jump on after I brush my teeth but then I ruin my whole day. Lol.

ITs Jessica, I was sleeved Oct 8th and I am stalled too. I haven't lost any weight in 12 days. I lost 12 pounds from the date of my surgery until it just stopped. I walk everyday on the treadmill, I track everything I eat. I can barely get 400 calories down in a day. I added avocado to help increase my calories and high fat meats but I can only eat about a quarter cup at a time.

It is pathetic that I am complaining about this. I would die 6 months ago not to be hungry all day. I was eating healthy mostly for the last couple of years and this is the battle I faced, but heck I could have lost it faster on my own.!!!!!

I feel your pain. I hope everyone is right when they say be patient it will come off. I read the forums and some are "I lost 64 pounds in 4 months, I eat regular food just not a lot and I don't exercise much." That's what I hoped for.

I am sorry you are going through it too but I am happy I am not alone.

Thanks for posting your progress. I started at almost an identical BMI. Pre consult weight in April was 256, pre surgical weight was 224 and now 2 weeks post I am at 214. I feel like I've been stuck for a couple of days now after the first week things went really well. The replies have been very helpful.

This has been very helpful and uplifting. I was sleeved on Oct 6th as well. I've been at a stall for a week or so. Almost nothing tastes good to me. Almost all my Protein is coming from Protein shakes even though I'm really tired of them. I can tell I've lost inches so I'm not entirely discouraged and the nurse told me to expect a slow down. I just wish I had a taste for something.

simplicity27 said: I wish I had a taste for something.

Be careful what you wish for...............All in good time. Taste does return and so do the cravings. Concentrate on developing those good eating habits now, before it returns, as you will need to be even more determined to stay the course. :unsure:

Edited by Recycled