Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bailey Bariatrics in Owasso

No way! I called my local Walmart and they told me it was not on the $4 prescription list! More reason I avoid that place. No one knows what they are doing anymore.

Gotchya

So I thought I could figure out the food thing but I feel really lost and the dietician just says to look at the list. I'm lactose intolerant and most of these foods I should be eating are dairy. Cottage cheese is one of my favorite things but I am finding I am more sensitive to dairy than ever. I don't do fish, except tuna and catfish if cooked right. So that leaves me with Beans and oatmeal. I have been told there are other foods we can eat. But what exactly. I would have been happier with meal plans. Takes the guessing and stress out of it all.

Sorry you're having trouble. At the beginning, I did Protein Shakes, Soups, refried Beans. The first month I could barely eat or drink anything, so now I have to make up for the Protein that I didn't get in the beginning. To be honest, I googled other bariatric programs and ate stuff off of their menus. I found that Bailey has the toughest/strictest food menus. Can you eat Greek yogurt?

I can eat some yogurt I just have to really space put the dairy products. Ya I am finding out there are tons of other suggestions for bariatric patients. I will figure it out.

Here's a better question for everyone. I had my follow-up with Dr. Kirk's office and the nurse practicioner asked if I had done anything for myself since surgery. It's not something I had even considered. Now my mom is asking me every day if I have figured out what I want. I thought maybe in a year or 2 I would do something after losing the weight. But they both said that actually deciding to go through with surgery is a darn good reason too. I am still lost as to what to do that I can afford. I am on a strict budget now. Some day I want a weekend getaway to a cabin in the mountains. So has anyone else done something for themselves. I am curious to hear about it.

No, I haven't. The only thing I do is set small weight loss goals such as 10 pounds and when I reach it, I buy a new outfit. I'm low on money right now so I went to Goodwill and bought a few brand new clothes there. I have also bought a few pairs of pants as my goal size. They just hang in my closet and one day, I will reach them lol.

I've thought a lot about what you said "doing something for yourself". This surgery was something I did for myself. Spending over $17,000 (including pre-op testing) was a huge deal to spend on myself. It was either buy a new car or have surgery lol. I would love to be able to do something big for myself to Celebrate my weight loss, but this surgery really put a strain on my finances. Maybe once I get caught up on my bills, I can do something big for myself. Until then, I will just be happy watching my numbers drop. ????

Edited by Cota1262

That's exactly what I told the new nurse practicioner who brought it up. I did, I had the surgery. My big plan was when I get down to a comfortable weight I want to go on a cruise or small vacation. My mom still won't drop it. I say. Mom you know I am on a fixed budget so how am I going to treat myself. She says just pray for it. But I am happy with thing and don't need a treat yet. Maybe a trip to the salon. A cut and color might do it.

I haven't been to see Dr.Kirk or the nurse practitioner in 2015. I had surgery Sept. 2014. Since my insurance started over, I pay out of pocket and I just don't see any reason to see him. I'll be glad to see my surgeon, but not Dr.Kirk. As far as doing something for yourself, I've bought new clothes, and booked a cruise in September and I'm going parasailing, something I couldn't do when I weighed 300 lbs. But you can make it something small like, nails done, hair coloring... but definitely Celebrate the weight loss!

Ya I have been feeling the same about continuing to see Dr. Kirk. Because basically it's not Dr. Kirk, it is one of the nurse practicioners. I would be happier seeing him. But I understand he can't see everyone I have a 3 month follow up in September and that will probably be the last trip. I drive 1.5hrs to the appointments. So financially It will be my last, besides the surgeon. I started out at 503lbs in November 2014 and now at 445lbs. I never thought I would gain as much as I did. I found out in December 2012 that I had been misdiagnosed for atleast the last 8 years prior to my current Dr. Finley finding I had a thyroid problem. Up until 2009 I had stayed right around 330lbs. Then I was in a car wreck and further damaged my thyroid gland from neck trauma. I gain the rest in a year and half. So it was pretty scary that nothing I did allowed me to lose weight. My levels we horrible. So I am now on the T4 and T3 hormone. I am thankful that we are finally getting results. The only diet that had ever worked slightly was the medication phentermine. That I took my senior year in high school, 2003/04. Got down to 220lbs. But that caused some health issues too. Thankfully mainly anxiety but some stomach issues as well. I am just really happy to be on the right path and to have my medical issues undercontrol. I have even had to cut my blood pressure dose in half already.

I had my consult with Dr Kirk last week. I'm hoping my insurance will pay, but if not, what is the self pay cost? Does that include start to finish or is it just for the surgery itself?