Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

what's the deal w soda? can i ever have it again?

Oh wait are you talking about a nutritionist? I was thinking a phycologist isn't that what they call them?

@Elode , a NUT is the nutritionalist...

I also was a HUGE Diet Coke drinker...BIG TIME!!! Haven't touched it since 2 weeks before surgery, and don't plan on it...no need to... I have Decaf iced tea or some of those drink flavorings or Water, and all is good... it's up to you, but like many, I'm following the advise of my surgereon and not tempting fate.

Like I said, to me, it's not worth it!

@RJ'S/beginning What is a "nut" are we talking about someone's profession? I'm confused at the "nut" acronym? Who's a nut? Do I have a nut?

Sorry should have been clearer. Yes nutritionist. This one specializes in Bariatrics so she is very helpful....:)

I too was very uncertain how I would ever give up my beloved Diet Coke. During the months that I was seeing the nutritionist, I *tried* to give it up, but just wasn't successful. They would mention it to me at every visit and I would say, "I know, I know - I'm cutting down." But truthfully, I had no vision for how I was actually going to drop it.

However, once you come out of surgery, you can't imagine drinking Water never mind soda. You go through the first few weeks just trying to tolerate what you absolutely need. For me, something during those weeks turned off in terms of wanting/needing soda. I also know that the carbonation is a stomach stretcher so mentally I just switched it off.

It's been almost 9 months since my surgery and I haven't had a soda and most shockingly, I don't miss it. I hope the same happens with you!!!

wow. thanks for all replies. more are welcome

i don't crave a cigarette at all and cannot believe i used to live for them

i am that way w diet pepsi and hope it turns out the same

i am on day 3 w/out it and i am really struggling !

i actually have been having fantasies of chugging large, fizzy, ice cold fountain diet sodas.

i hope this passes!

wow. thanks for all replies. more are welcome

i don't crave a cigarette at all and cannot believe i used to live for them

i am that way w diet pepsi and hope it turns out the same

i am on day 3 w/out it and i am really struggling !

i actually have been having fantasies of chugging large, fizzy, ice cold fountain diet sodas.

i hope this passes!

Funny you say that. I had a harder time quitting the diet soda pre op than I did quitting smoking pre op! At 2 months post op today, I don't miss it at all anymore :) You can do it!!

Advice from my surgeon who doesn't expect people to NEVER eat or drink certain things again:

The sleeve is often irritated by carbonation, so pour your drink into a glass FULL of ice. Let the ice melt in it a bit and let the fizz settle down. Drink SLOWLY, thru a straw if you can handle it.

I have maybe a soda a week. My sleeve REALLY does not like carbonation much. I shake it, open it, shake it, open it... until most of the fizz is gone. That little that is left plus some COLD ice is refreshing!

I would advise waiting until you are further out and completely healed, like 12 weeks or more.

Oh, this is soooo timely (as I sip my Diet Pepsi...) -- haven't had surgery yet, haven't met s/surgeon yet, but paperwork is in process -- I *love* my DP -- I used to drink regular Coke, but haven't had a 'reg' soda in over two years -- MAJOR accomplishment for someone who used to drink 3-4 cans a day -- and now I hear no more DP after that became my drinkable vice after giving up Coke -- oh well, if I could kick the high fructose corn Syrup habit, I can kick the DP habit too I guess -- what are some alternatives for other DP or D-Coke addicts? Thanks!

Oh, this is soooo timely (as I sip my Diet Pepsi...) -- haven't had surgery yet, haven't met s/surgeon yet, but paperwork is in process -- I *love* my DP -- I used to drink regular Coke, but haven't had a 'reg' soda in over two years -- MAJOR accomplishment for someone who used to drink 3-4 cans a day -- and now I hear no more DP after that became my drinkable vice after giving up Coke -- oh well, if I could kick the high fructose corn Syrup habit, I can kick the DP habit too I guess -- what are some alternatives for other DP or D-Coke addicts? Thanks!

You could try a seltzer Water with some sugar free syrup... there's a Water company that makes a sugar free beverage that is flavored.........can't think of the name of it off hand.

Thought... right after surgery you probably aren't going to want a soda. Your sleeve is going to be swollen and capacity will be at a minimum. Plus any kind of carbonation early on will be painful. My cravings have declined gravely since surgery. I just don't want the same things anymore.

And honestly when I do get a soda, I rarely finish it. Those things are 12 oz and I don't have the capacity to drink it before it goes completely flat or gets too watered down, unless it's in an insular container.

I know when I saw my NP the other day, she told me straight up that its a reality that people slip. But the first 6-12 Mk months is the best time to lose the weight. There is no doubt in my mind that I will that taste for a diet drink and get it. I am in stage 4 and can eat whatever I want, which I don't. But that's it, no restrictions now. I have flown the nest and it's up to me to make this happen. Just moderation.

When I did try it again, the bubbles made me very uncomfortable -- overly full and as if I had a weight sitting on my chest.

Now I have some Coke Zero almost every day.

This cracked me up. Here's how I read it. I drank it, it hurt but I pushed through the pain and love it. Only a fellow diet soda addict would understand.

My doctor says that there is no studies that prove that it's harmful post op or that it stretches anything. However, caffeine can irritate the stomach so they don't recommend it. But as they so eloquently put it, we can have anything we want after surgery. It's not like we'll explode if we drink it. It's a choice just like exercise and eating Protein.

Personally, I'm choosing to follow the rules about exercise and Protein but I do like me some Diet Pepsi (and I try to stick with caffeine-free).

This cracked me up. Here's how I read it. I drank it, it hurt but I pushed through the pain and love it. Only a fellow diet soda addict would understand.

My doctor says that there is no studies that prove that it's harmful post op or that it stretches anything. However, caffeine can irritate the stomach so they don't recommend it. But as they so eloquently put it, we can have anything we want after surgery. It's not like we'll explode if we drink it. It's a choice just like exercise and eating Protein.

Personally, I'm choosing to follow the rules about exercise and Protein but I do like me some Diet Pepsi (and I try to stick with caffeine-free).

Nah... I didn't/don't push through any pain. I'm a wuss. It doesn't bother me unless I drink it straight from a new bottle so I don't.

Also, carbonation does NOT stretch the stomach. Overfilling your stomach regularly stretches your stomach. A sleeved stomach only has so much it will stretch, too. At 17 months out, I can almost eat a cup of food. My Nut and surgeon say that's probably going to be my max.

This whole thread is yet more evidence to me that diet soda (or any soda) is not just a harmless beverage. It truly must change something in the body - mentally or physically. It can certainly be listed among addictions.

Happy to be free!

I was a Coke Zero addict before my surgery. I would rarely drink anything other than a diet soda...ever. And I drank a lot of it. After my surgery I followed the rules and didn't drink any. After a few months I decided to try a sip. The sound of someone cracking open a cold one and hearing them pour it over ice was almost too much for me. So I took a sip. It was TERRIBLE! I loved fountain soda best. So I have tried a fountain soda real coke (my ultimate favorite) a diet pepsi, and my old fave....coke zero. All of them tasted horrible. So....I no longer crave soda. Sort of makes me sad...LOL. It had nothing to do with the carbonation or how it made my tummy feel...I just can't handle the taste anymore. Sigh....like losing an old friend (cue dramatic music)