Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One month out and becoming miserable.....

Sorry you have to go through this difficult and unnecessary diet regimen. I still don't get why your surgeon does this because you WILL lose weight after VSG without the addition of a fad diet. Just like Buffer, I've been there done that with the Atkins.< /p>

Personally, I feel it's important to learn to eat healthy from the start. This new lifestyle is forever, you might as well learn how to make good, healthy choices. The more restrictive a diet plan is, the more likely you will cheat and that sets the patient up for failure (in general) I also don't think the extreme calorie restrictive postop diets make sense, either. If you only eat 600-800 calories, that's what your body will get used to, your metabolism will slow down and it will be much more difficult to lose and or maintain at a "normal" caloric intake for the rest of your life.

Sorry for my ramblings, but seeing that a bariatric surgeon doesn't have faith in his own procedure is very weird to me. And obviously I'm not a "professional"....just a successful WLS patient who knows what works for me. Oh, and BTW, even while eating normal food, nothing tasted good to me, I had no appetite, and eating was a very unwelcome chore for about 3-4 months. So I think a lot of that is normal no matter what your postop diet is. Good luck to you...it will get better!

Edited by Kindle

Since I went to Mexico for my surgery and wouldn't have a local team providing support, I've done tons of research for myself. I felt very comfortable making my own choices as far as what to eat and when, using what my surgeon suggested as a guideline.

My personal choices were to start pureed and soft foods earlier than recommended, I don't eat 80g of Protein every day, I eat a lot of veggies, I don't use Protein shakes/mixes/bars on a regular basis, and I eat whole foods (clean eating, paleo, whatever... it's real, not processed).

Much to my sadness, I've found that simple carbs like bread and pizza crust don't work for me -- I stopped losing, I actually gained, I felt "heavy", and so I'm leaving them out for now. I don't believe carbs are BAD, just at this point in my journey, they're not my friends.

When I hit 80lbs gone, I began the Whole30 program to eliminate dairy (OMG, no cheese!!!!), gluten, legumes (I miss black beans) and added sugar, including artificial sweeteners, from my diet. An elimination diets of sorts. We'll see how I feel when the 30 days is done and I'll make additions... or not... from there.

I eat over 1,000 calories almost every day (usually closer to 1,200-1,400) and am still losing at a great pace and HEALTHY so whatever works for you!

Yeah! What KQH said! :-). Every Dr has a different protocol. Mine has over 10k WLSs under his belt and his is nothing like yours. I stay low carb but not carb free. At 2 months out, I can eat fruit and vegetables, cheese, etc. I'd research and make the best decision for you.

hi Bobby.....thanks for the suggestions. Problem is, my Dr also doesn't allow any dairy, including cheese, veggies or fruits until like 4 months out. I'm supposed to consume noting but lean Protein and seriously.......even tho I am following his directions, I am loathing it. I seriously have no appetite and when it's time to eat, the thought makes me nauseous. That's why I wrote what I did about not being one to complain. I probably will call the Dr on Moday. Maybe there is something he can prescribe for a bit to help me at this stage of the game. Thanks again.

Wow this is something. At almost two months out, I can have whole grains, some frutis,low fat cheese and even a pat of butter. I am sitting her snacking on 2 tbls of bulgar and curry shrimp(one shrimp) now. truly every plan is different. I hope the best for you. Hang in there.

Later Loser!

I just want to thank everyone who was so kind to share their views and diet suggestions. I'll keep plugging along trying to eat mostly Protein but i do plan on adding in a bite here and there of veggies and such. If all of you have had success with a more liberal eating plan then I truly believe I can too. I will still be calling my Dr about my problems too. Thanks again!

Hang in there, Change it up. I agree with the vast majority of the responses. My own surgeon has placed no such restriction on me, and my nutritionist certainly would not have limited me to only Protein, either. Too much protein damages your body, just like not getting enough does. I missed the brand name of your protein supplement, but high quality protein is key. I researched multiple brands, and sampled them all before purchasing any. I chose Unjury (www.unjury.com) because it's medical grade, top quality whey isolate protein. Oh, and it tastes really good, too. I've been taking only Unjury for protein supplements since March, and haven't grown tired of their myriad of flavors. So, while sufficient intake of protein is needed to keep you feeling "full", I'd definitely get a second opinion on the 'protein only' directive. Best of luck, and keep us posted.

I just want to thank everyone who was so kind to share their views and diet suggestions. I'll keep plugging along trying to eat mostly Protein but i do plan on adding in a bite here and there of veggies and such. If all of you have had success with a more liberal eating plan then I truly believe I can too. I will still be calling my Dr about my problems too. Thanks again!

If your Dr is keen on you staying in ketosis it's still possible to do that and eat non-starchy vegetables/salad - at least that would give you some variety. Low fat/fat free dairy should be OK too. What he's asking you to do is a seriously unbalanced diet. At least Protein shakes are not just Protein - they are designed to be nutritionally complete. When I had a follow-up talk with my nutritionist she was encouraging me to introduce vegetables and fruit into my diet 3 weeks out and in fact advocated eating slightly less protein to make room for them.

The longer that you are on a diet that's unpalatable to you, the more likely you are to get that 'deprived' feeling and more likely to do something unhelpful like eating high carb foods. I've done the Atkins diet in the past and know what it's like. Definitely talk to your Dr and do what you feel is right for you.

My post op diet was a little less restrictive than yours, but still, it was pretty restrictive. I also had to go on a two week liquid pre-op diet, so by the time I was 4 months post op, I was really sick of eating the things I could have! It was a total chore, and not worth it most of the time. I kept my calories around 600 -800 for the first 6 months or so. I tried not to be short-sighted about it, and to follow the program to the letter. I really was hard, but I knew that it would pass. I felt like it was worth it, though, because I had a lot of weight to lose, and it came off better than it ever has. I'm happy I did that, because after the first year, my weight loss slowed, and now it's a total struggle to get any off at all. I know everyone has a different diet, different body, and different outcomes, so we each have to find our own way.

My best advice it to just hang in there, do the best you can with it, and this too, shall pass. It really is only a very short time!

I was doing mostly/all Protein due to my stomach acting crazy. I went on vacation and attempted to do my usual Water sports. I had no energy and became tired out fast. I actually didn't feel safe. So I try to force some down. I know some consider carbs a gateway food :), but for me, they are hard to eat but I need a bit to do what I like to do.

I've reached and surpassed my goal and I did do that with minimal carbs but if your stomach can handle them, it seems you need at least a little.

Let us know how it goes with the doctor!

i also tried to do a bike ride last week and i noticed how weak i felt. before surgery i used to bike for miles....and this last ride was a real struggle. trying to up the Protein. alot of Proteins are just not appetizing to me right now. the surgery killed my liking for coffee. used to drink like 8 cups a day and now i can't even look at it... wonder why this surgery changes our taste?

I like a lot of what Dr. Weiner has to say. I don't agree with everything but it was refreshing to see more emphasis on fresh fruits and veggies and not PROTEINPROTEINPROTEIN ;)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4qN8k1ix0DoCLM6VhDvz8w

Wish i could help you...but I have never heard of this type of plane before.....brutal