Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm making (and starting to check off) my list of things I'll need post-op. May not have much help afterwards, so I want to be prepared - is there anything I'm missing?

*Vitamins/supplements*

Ordered a variety of Protein samples (~ 2 weeks worth of different brands and flavors) and getting a case of Premier as a backup

Flintstones

chewable Calcium citrate

B12

D2

Biotin

Gas-x strips

Rolaids

Fiber (stuff that goes in water)

Pill holder

Pill crusher

Lactaid

*Supplies*

Mesh strainer

food scale

Kid sized plates/spoons

Stick blender

Mini blender for work (one of those little $15 ones)

Work lunch box with some silicone cupcake wraps or tiny containers to put purees in

*Food* (full liquids for a week)

Assorted broths and cream Soups

Plain fat free greek yogurt

Cottage and/or ricotta cheese

SF Jello and pudding

Water flavorings

Some Torani or DaVinci flavorings

Dry milk

Almond coconut milk (is this okay?)

Regular skim milk (I like variety, lol)

*Hospital*

Lip balm

Slippers

Wipes

Face wipes

Travel deodorant

Packet of those little Wisp toothbrushes

Pajama pants

Robe

Download a new book

Travel pillow

Enough on a prepaid card to get prescriptions from hospital pharmacy without taking my debit card to the hospital

So...am I missing anything obvious? Overplanning? Underplanning?

As my grandma used to say, "If it ain't all......it's enough"!

It looks like you have been paying attention. Here's to a new you - Clink!

Holy smokes, I went to Tijuana (alone) and didn't take half the stuff you are, and didn't miss a thing. I also work eight hours from home (16 days on five days off) and have made due with what ever they have on site. This is so much easier than I think you think it is. Why aren't you taking your own toothbrush or debit / visa card? I went with a carry on and that's it, and had no help before, during or after. I drove myself to the airport, drove myself home, then did laundry cleaned my house, went grocery shopping and went to bed. The following day I worked several horses, cleaned my truck and began packing to go back to work. This surgery is so much easier than ever thought. Sometimes a person can do more harm by over thinking. What meds do you need afterwards? I had surgery a month ago, and no problems what so ever. Don't over do this or over think this. I travel a lot so took all my regular stuff (face cream, toothbrush, toothpaste).

Very well-prepared indeed!

I see you have Fiber, but you may want to consider getting both Phillips or Miralax AND any anti-diarrhea (just in case). There's no way to tell which way your insides are gonna head for a time after surgery. I believe many surgeons say to not use Pepto-Bismol, though I can't remember the reason.

On the post-op liquid stage I really didn't have any problem either way, but I wanted to be as prepared as you!

The sugar free almond milk was fine with my nutritionist. There is an actual low-carb milk called Carbmaster (https://s3.amazonaws.com/bzzagent-bzzscapes-prod/kroger-carbmaster-cultured-dairy-blends-and-yogurt-lrg.png) that I came across at Kroger. Not sure if you have a store near you. My nutritionist prefers that we keep our sugars to less than 5 grams per serving.

Hope that helps!

Edited by AlwaysVegas

Great list! I packed most of those things from your list for my hospital stay last week. My mom gave me a ride to the hospital and left after I came out of surgery. After she left, I looked around the room for my duffle bag and couldn't see it anywhere. I asked a nurse and we both assumed she must had taken it with her. My cell phone was in the bag and it was off. I spent three days in the hospital without any of my precious items that I spent time planning, making lists, and packing. In the end, it really wasn't that big of a deal. I was kind of "out of it" most of the time anyway. I probably wouldn't have used most of the things I packed anyway. The hospital had towlettes, toothpaste, toothbrush, slipper socks, etc. It's good to be prepared, but don't fret too much over it. Hospitals sometimes prefer you to where their gowns for easy access to certain areas of the body. They cover your back up with another gown when you walk down the hall.

By the way, I asked my mom about my bag when she came to pick me up. She walked behind the hospital bed and pulled it out from hiding from behind the curtain. It had been with me all along. Oh well!

Thanks! I'm not quite as worried about the actual hospital bag - at least the day I'm there, my niece will be with me and can run home for anything I forget - as I am about making sure I'm prepared for the early healing / full liquid / puree stage. If there's a way to mess this up, I'm guaranteed to find it, and I don't want something as stupid as "I can't strain the chunks out of my cream soup" to be what sends me off the rails! :)

Pretty much everything but the robe/pants/slippers from the "hospital" part of the list are things I carry in my pocketbook anyway. Let's just say I have a reputation, and I'm the one people go to when the need stuff, lol!

I'll check out the other tummy meds too - thanks! I didn't even think about that.

@@Cody's mom, sounds like you had a great recovery! That's awesome, and I love hearing those stories. I just don't want to be in a position of having to figure things out when I'm not feeling great if something doesn't go as well as I hope it will. As for the debit card, it's just a security thing. I've been on the wrong end of identity theft before, and the only thing I plan to pay for there are the post op pain meds from the hospital pharmacy, the copay, and the parking. I *could* take it, but it makes me nervous!

You sound like you are very well-prepared, and I think that's awesome! Couple of additional things to consider, based on my experience--which was NOTHING like @@Cody's mom, my recovery was horrendous! I was in agony for weeks, and it was months before I was fully mobile. And I have a high tolerance for pain, so it's not just that I'm a wimp! ;)

If you're going to be alone, you may want to set things up in your house so that you can reach them easily. Putting the Protein shakes on the top shelf of the fridge, getting out a pot, etc. Set up your bed with pillows to prop you up, move the tv, etc. Anything that's physical, you may want to do ahead of time so it's all set for you. Your recovery could be a breeze like @@Cody's mom or 3 months of hell like mine, but most likely somewhere in between! So may as well be prepared. Couple more things: I ended up buying a belly binder, which was a huge help with the pain. And finally, although this is TMI (sorry), if I had it to do over again I'd buy one of those reach extenders for, um, the bathroom... (I could not twist or bend without excruciating pain, and therefore could not reach...again, sorry for TMI!)

Good luck!! :)

You aren't going to need as much food as you think at first. You will be eating very, very litte. I'm sure you will be fine with all the stuff you have.

You will also feel fine going out to the store for short trips after a few days. :)

I'd say bring earplugs so you can try to sleep.

Good luck!

Thanks for the great ideas! Doing housework and getting everything in order and accessible is definitely on my list. Even if things go perfectly, I'm not going to be able to rest if I come home to dirt or a laundry pile :)