Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tailbone problems anyone?

I am 6 months post op as of 4/15. Down 73 with just 10-15 to go to reach my goal weight.

I have been having serious issues with my tailbone. I'm talking OUCH!!!!!! I can't sit for very long which is problematic because my commute is long- anywhere from 2 to 4 hours round trip each day. I drive a nice comfortable car, old but still nice. I've tried the pillows and while those work in my office chair, they aren't so good in the car.

Anyone else have pain after dropping their weight?

The explanation I was given was that my hips and spine, including my tailbone, shifted to carry the excess weight over the last 20 years. So now the tailbone sticks out due to a lack of fat in the area. While I'm excited there is no fat, the sticking out part totally sucks. I'm told with adjustments and core exercises there is a chance I can relieve the pain. UGH.

I started having similar issues about the 100 pound mark. Unfortunately since then it has only gotten worse. Now I deal with the tailbone issue as well as having no fat on my 'cheeks' to pad me from hard seating surfaces.

Luckily my commute is only 50 miles so I'm only in the car about 3 hours a day, but I feel your pain (literally). After about 45 minutes I start shifting side to side, up and down just trying to survive until I get there. I've not found anything yet that helps, but am anxiously awaiting other responses to see if people have found anything that works.

After I lost quite a bit of weight, I went on a long trip by car, several days. It was really painful to drive. That was an understatement. In the end I stopped and bought a gel cushion for the car which helped alleviate the pain. Several months later, I went on another long car trip but this time there was little pain. I didn't need to use the cushion. I suspect the reason why the first trip was so painful was because I was also suffering from the stomach flu at the time and it compounded the problem.

There are foam things you can buy to help alleviate pain. Often there are in medical supply stores. I often see them with wheel chair bound patients to perserve their skin. I would look into that.

There are also some pillows that are designed like a donut for hemorrhoid surgery patients. Worth a try.

Interesting...I'm 2.5 mo out, down 45 pound and within the past week I've had the damndesr time with my tailbone at work. I got one of those pads for my chair that I should receive next week. I didn't think there was a connection. Very interesting!

I'm 6 weeks out and I swear I thought I was just loosing my mind but sitting anywhere more than five ten minutes my tail bone was screaming. I don't sit without fighting discomfort any more.

I lost a lot of weight back in 2008 and suffered the same problem. Here's some relief ... it's called a coccyx cushion. The lease expensive place I've found to buy one is Walgreens.com and they're only $19.99. The specific name of this one is

Duro-Med Sloping Coccyx Cushion450.jpg

DO NOT go to the store because they only sell them online. I have 3 of them one in the car, kitchen chair and desk. They are WONDERFUL! Hope this helps

I have a check up early next month...I'm going to ask why this happens...

Oh my gosh! You guys too. I thought I was the oddball. At first my tailbone felt a little bruised. Now when I lay or sit it feels like it sticks out so much. As though my weight is all on it. So I compensate by switching sides. This just recently happened. I have lost 80 lbs and have 20 to go. I admit I have a flat butt. Sometimes it even feels as though the bone is off center. I was told to work on building my glutes back up and to strengthen my core more aggressively. I have iced it and put heat and sometimes it helps. I have also used a tennis ball on my butt...laying on top of it to help release the tension in the area surrounding. Thanks for the pillow referral I am going to invest in one. I will ask the doc if there is anything else I can do. Thanks for posting...

I'm only a month out and haven't lost enough to experience this particular issue, but a couple of my good friends that are 3 and 4 years out definitely have tailbone pain. I notice that they carry small pillows and cushions to sit on. I also notice that one of my friends almost always sits with at least one, if not both, feet up on her chair with her knees pulled to her chest. Plus they squirm and wiggle a lot if they get stuck on a hard chair for more than a few minutes. I'm hoping I don't lose all of my butt so that my pain isn't so bad!

I am only two weeks post op and having troubles with my lower back and feet. I cant sit with out paying for it. Laying down is the only way to make it go away. Its starting to effect my sleep, I hope I can start exercising soon, something has to give. Glad I dont have to sit or drive far. Besides pillows which I use, anything else work?

I never heard of this pillow, sounds like a great idea. My tailbone has been killing me. Is anyone feeling colder than before also? I have been using my winter coat since late October. Thought it was just me.

I've had to re learn how to sit properly with good posture. Usually the tailbone pain is a sign your posture has slipped to accommodate the extra weight--your shoulders come forward and you sit in a C curve basically, rounding the lumbar area instead of letting it do its normal S curve. You need to sit further forward on your "sitz bones" if you will (yoga term). Let your lumbar region arch, poke your tailbone further back and sit more on the backs of your thighs if that makes sense. Chiropractor, physical therapist, orthopedist or a good massage therapist can show you!