Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

St. Louis support-very very nervous

Hi!

I'm looking for support in the StL-I'm in Ucity but anywhere would be appreciated. I'm going through the pre approval process with Wash U-Dr Eagon.

Nervous is an UNDERSTATEMENT!! So this is the first time I've posted or anything:)

Hey there, I had my surgery at des peres hospital with Dr Menkin back in august. I've felt overall great, and I'm down 45 lbs.

it's okay to be nervous! You are going to be fine :)

Wow!! 45 pounds?!! It's just October!!! :) See that's the kind of stuff that encourages me that I made the right choice. If you don't mind me asking-how long did you take off work and did you have any complications?

I took off about 3 weeks, but that's only because I had a food service job that required me to wake up at 3am, and be on my feet all day. (Plus, I had a lot of vacay time I needed to use, lol) If I had a desk job, I bet I could've been back after two weeks. I worked out fairly regularly before surgery, and I think that really helped. I got out of my hospital bed with no help at all just a few hours after the operation. For a day or so, I felt like I had done a bunch of sit-ups, but it wasn't unbearable. I took the painkillers on a schedule for the first week, then didn't need them again. I think it's important to take them before you feel you need them! I would say that I had no surgical complications :)

Okay this is good to hear-I too workout regularly and right now no comorbidities but due to my weight and family history that won't be for long. I want to be healthy and be able to finally run without knee pain or out of breath!

Yeahhhh, you'll be just fine. Just listen to your body. The only time I felt really icky was when I tried to do too much too soon. Definitely start walking as soon as you can, but don't be discouraged if you can't immediately do what you could before. This was a thing for me, because I'm impatient and wanted to be healed NOW, lol.

I am in st and having mine at Des Peres hospital by Dr. Minkin as well. I start my clear liquid diet tomorrow/Monday and surgery is Thursday.

I hope you get the same super hot anesthesiologist I had! Or possibly, he just seemed super hot because he put a relaxer in my IV that made me feel kinda drunk. But really, every single person I came in contact with was amazingly nice. Keep us updated!

I was with Minkin at Des Peres, too :) I had a very nice, VERY pregnant anesthesiologist though, so I'm pretty sure it wasn't the same as yours :)

I'm 11 months post op tomorrow and down from 311 day of surgery to 187 today. I took 2 weeks off work, but honestly I could have gone back to my desk job after a week. My best advice for recovery is 1) take all your pain and nausea meds like clockwork the first couple days. I didn't need them after day 3 or 4, but if you need them do NOT get behind schedule. 2). Get vertical and walking as soon as you're able in the hospital. It makes such a difference. And 3) sleep in a recliner the first week. I had to rent one for a week, but you'll have one incision that's kind of sore (I didn't even feel the other 3) and it's much easier to get out of the recliner than a bed.

Good luck!!!

Hello, I'm in St. Louis, University City to be exact and I was sleeved on 12/17 by Dr. Minkin at Des Peres Hospital! I had a good experience and little complications, mostly grumbly tummy and gassiness. I would love to be a sleeve buddy! Already down 20 pounds! Half of my medications have been stopped.

Congrats on this decision!

I had RNY back in July at Des Peres. I can honestly say it was the best decision I have ever made. At 5 months out from surgery I am down 105 lbs.!

You will do great with the surgery. My surgery could not have went any better. Had surgery on a Tuesday and was back to work the following Monday ( in a limited capacity)

Just take things one day at a time and listen to what your body is telling you.

I would start immediately with getting the Water in, it helps. I also cut out all caffeine about 3 months before I had my surgery.

Walk, walk, walk...as soon as you can once you have your surgery it helps with pain from the gas

Keep upcwith your Water, Vitamins, and Protein...in that order

Eat slow and small bites - this is the one thing that I sometimes struggle with now.

It would be great if we could get a bariatric pal St Louis chapter going.

Best of luck and keep us posted!!

Edited by tamg26k

Tamg26k that's a good idea for a St Louis chapter for those post and pre op- it's great to read experiences but I have very little support here. Luckily my mom is slowly starting to be on board-but she's never had a weight problem-she's complaining of weight gain in her 60's and she's a size 8- LOL!

I'm not sure what area would be convenient for people or what day (like maybe a Sat meet after the holidays for the StL peeps!

Tamg26k that's a good idea for a St Louis chapter for those post and pre op- it's great to read experiences but I have very little support here. Luckily my mom is slowly starting to be on board-but she's never had a weight problem-she's complaining of weight gain in her 60's and she's a size 8- LOL!

I'm not sure what area would be convenient for people or what day (like maybe a Sat meet after the holidays for the StL peeps!

. Hope all is going well on your journey! Let me k