Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I WAS SO DUMB Tonight I went to dinner with a friend. We went to a vegetarian restaurant. Before I left, I studied the whole menu and made some decisions. Then, when we go there I forgot everything and ordered a salad. Lots of raw veggies. I got really sick, had to leave early. Ultimately, I threw up on the way home, foamie stuff. Not a good night. My body continues to teach me.

Can you explain to us newbies what caused the vomiting and feeling? Im vegetarian and have a feeling eating salads and raw veggies is in my future....is the problem the raw? Is this a "at first" thing or are raw veggies something to cross off all together? Thank you!

For me, pouch pain, vomiting, and foamies are all caused by the same things--swallowing food chunks that are too big, and eating too fast.

Some sources say "chew for 22" meaning chew your bites of food 22 times before swallowing. Others say chew thirty times.

For me, I have to start with a bite no larger than a teaspoon for solids like steak, and no more than a tablespoon size for soft foods like oatmeal. And I have to chew each bite until it's the consistency of pudding. Then I swallow it.

Yes, steak "pudding"! ;-)

As you might expect, this means I eat smaller amounts, and take a longer time doing it, than I used to before surgery.

I believe that's how the gastric bypass surgery has helped me the most--the pouch pain, vomiting, and foamies have forced me to eat the way I was always supposed to.

Small bites, chewed to "pudding" consistency.

Oh, and always eating the Protein part of the meal first.

On getting sick, I completely agree. It is the not chewing enough and eating too fast. I can eat most anything if I eat slowly, take small bites and chew well. The only things that I really have to watch out for for is high fat and high sugar content. Fried chicken skin and cake frosting are both death. If I have either it cannot be more then a single bite with other food. Yes, one single bite of cake is all I can handle. The last time I was sick was a while ago and it was from eating too fast. The chunky mess had to come back up. The horrible part, besides losing my Cookies, is I feel awful for about an hour after and pretty much have to lay down to recover. I even fall asleep for 30 minutes. Not worth it. I find that eating 3 meals and two Snacks works best for me. If I don't have the Snacks I get a little dizzy. It's not that I'm hungry but I know I have to eat a little something. Also, if I do have my snacks I am less likely to eat too fast. There are times I will eat a strawberry or a Protein bar because I can feel my energy level drop. I don't let my blood sugar go too low. I can tell I am feeling tired, a little light headed and my neck starts to get moist. It's hard to describe but I know when my blood sugar dips and if you listen to your body you too can tell. I have to be more careful then before surgery because the margin of error is much smaller. But I can also tell that I felt horrible because my blood sugar levels were too high prior to surgery. Sticking a balance with blood sugar levels is the game. I am so grateful that now I can.

I have not jumped on the scale in a while because it was driving me crazy. I am not sure if I have lost weight or not in the past two weeks but my belt has moved two holes. Even if I did not at least my waist is smaller, lol.

@@smiley922

Great photo. Keep eating, lol. Never thought you would hear someone say that. You look very nice. I know the wrinkles are a distraction to you but you don't look unhealthy. You look fantastic. It is also not uncommon to lose a little more then your goal and then bounce back up. Several people in my doctor's support group had that happen to them.

Please dont mind the hair lol, well im stuck at 166 but im still happy with how i look in my new clothes.

post-234826-0-59046800-1433892906_thumb.jpg

So I'm wondering if anyone would like to share their workout routine. I do 20 minutes cardio then alternate lower body one day upper body the next. Workout 4 times a week.

@@Bronxmerci

166 lbs is fantastic. You look amazing and the new outfit looks very nice on you.

Bronx, you look perfect!

Good job!

@@misstvb

I am taking a little break because my shoulder is killing me but I was doing weights and a machine circuit that included cardio every day (Sunday off) except for the days I did legs. For cardio, I like the elliptical best and the treadmill when my knees have had enough. I find that I have to be careful with my joints or I have to rest for a few days and get out of the routine. I do a class once in a while just for variety but they are still too challenging for me most of the time. At least I feel like I struggle a bit more then the others. It's been hard to stay on a schedule. Some weeks I do great, others not so much.

What you are doing sounds really good. I had a trainer do a program for me but I have not stayed with her. My friend does once a week and since we workout together (most days) I just do what she does. I don't write it all down though. I am more of a go with whatever. I should get a little more serious about the quality of my workouts. At this point I need to get into a routine again.

@@joankrie

What have you been up to?

@@Beni, I just got back from Miami Florida. It felt great to be in a bathing suit, and not feel like a blimp. Altho, I have 47 lbs more to go to.myngoal weight.. 160lbs! Ive had some complications from the surg.. low blood sugar episodes. They have dropped critically low to 30, and my potassium as well to 2.3

Both related to the gastric bypass surg. So, im trying to balance this, because it can be fatal.

I've gotten a way from swimming and walking which I intend tonget back into my routine thus week. I had an injection in my back and hip today due to.sciatica nerve pain. All in a day of Joan! Wink, wink.

From 321 to 205lbs. Its slow, but, I couldn't be more pleased !

I love reading about everyone's journey! It's exciting to share wach others progress and tips for better success!

How has everything been in yournworld?

@@joankrie

So happy for your weight loss. I am sure you feel like a different person. I do. Watch out for the blood sugar, as you say it's dangerous. Are you able to control it with food or your blood sugar level drops quickly?

I have been in a weight stall for quite a while now. Well, I am not sure because I have not stepped on the scale for 2 weeks. It was like 177.2, 177.4, 177.3, 177.6, 177.2, 177.4 for day after day. What the heck! But I feel pretty good. I am making sure I eat more Protein. I did but it was more like 50 grams and I was told that's not enough. My hair is not falling like crazy. So happy about that. I don't get sick as much, only the occasional, eating too fast and not chewing enough. The other day I had too much cake and boy did I feel unwell. I felt so hot, my forehead and neck were dripping. Scary! I think I had a sugar high, not good at all.

post-208911-14340442843865_thumb.jpg

Date night

I feel so good took this pic yesterday 6/10/15. I am 33 pounds away from my goal weight. I have slowed down on losing but I am not giving up. My eye is on the prize 165 pounds. :-)

post-216398-14340703233816_thumb.jpg

Wow girls you both look stunning.

@Pinkpolkadot619

Date night all glamorous, such a hot babe.

@@LisaCO

You look like a 20 something in that cute top. So pretty.

Hey friends! Back from Hawaii! We got back Tuesday actually. Thank goodness only 3 days of work this week! I'm still in vacation mode and we missed a night of sleep the day (night) we flew back, so I seem to be having a hard time catching up on that! I got way off schedule with my meds too, so that probably didn't help!

Anyway---we of course had an amazing time! The time we spend with just our 2 oldest sons was great. Love that we are able to do this with our kids. For those that don't know, when our kids graduate, we let them pick a trip they want to go on. When our oldest daughters graduated they picked Hawaii too. My Aunt has a home there she rents out when she's not there, so we are able to stay there pretty cheap. :-)

SO!!! I not only hit my original goal of 160 (actually got to 158) on vacation, BUT.....I got engaged!! On the beach, at sunset....it was absolutely perfect. :)

I'll see if I can figure out how to add a picture on here, LOL...I might need to do it from my phone instead.