Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did You Freak Out About Surgery on the Day Of?

So my surgery was scheduled for last Friday.

I panicked, freaked out, cried, and then bailed on the whole thing. I am now rescheduling for sometime next week (21st or 24th, TBD). I made the decision to have the surgery based on a lot of calm, logical thought and research, over almost two years, and I made the decision to run screaming from the hospital based on 5 minutes of totally irrational panic.

Anectdotally, it seems that freaking out before surgery isn't super uncommon (tho most ppl still go through with it).

My question to you is, did you freak out before you had your surgery? To what extent? Or were you cool as a cucumber ready to roll?

Thanks!

I cried all the way to the hospital. I am a christian so I did a lot of praying and listened to christian music until they took me back for surgery. I am so happy I did this. Im 5 months out and down 75 lbs. I can tell you recovery was no where as near as bad as I thought it would be. I wish you the best on this journey.

Full on freak out starting a few weeks preop. I had a final preop meeting with my surgeon about a week preop and told him I was determined, motivated, felt I had to do this to save my life but was having panic attacks and couldn't sleep. He gave me a short term anxiety prescription that got me through that final week.

I was most scared of the anesthesia. The morning of my surgery I met with the anesthesiologist and he promised me he wouldn't let me stop breathing. It helped alot and by the time I was in the OR being prepped he gave me a nod..like.."I gotcha" and I knew I was gonna make it.

Best decision ever..now maintaining a 160# loss!!!!

I wasn't freaked out at all, but I had had surgery before. The clinic staff still insisted on giving me Xanax prior to the surgery, as they apparently do for all of their patients.

Oh, I think one of the anxiety triggers was the two week liver shrinking diet. I didn't realize at the time that I ABUSED food to self medicate/ manage my anxiety. My comfort foods were not available on the preop diet and I just amped up. Life post WLS has been quite a self discovery. I didn't realize how much of an anxiety problem I had until I stopped numbing it with food.

I originally went under the knife to have the sleeve done in September 2012, woke up and was told that my liver and stomach were "too fatty" to do surgery...it took over a year to get the courage to go back to a different bariatric doctor, and I went to 2 different places after one told me I should have bypass and not sleeve...not what I wanted to hear.

I started this journey in January of this year and had 6 months nutrition visits. By the time surgery was approved by my insurance I started my freak out. Each day that got closer, I became more crazy. I started super organizing things, just trying to take charge of what I could in my life I guess.

The day before surgery I was so nervous I didn't even eat. By the time I thought, well I guess I should eat something, it was too late.

The day of surgery on 9/22, I was freaking out on the inside. I was trying to be cool and calm, but I wasn't. I ended up going into the bathroom and crying wondering what the hell I was doing to myself.

Thank goodness for the anesthesiologist and his lovely meds! Once they gave me whatever it was...probably versed...I was out of it and didn't have a care in the world. I don't even remember if I went in the elevator to go to surgery, or how long it was between the time they gave it to me and when I was taken to surgery.

I remember they had some sort of blow up thing to slide me over to the operating table, a mask went on my

face, and then I was out.

I woke up freaking out wondering...what if I went through this all over again and they couldn't do surgery. Luckily, the surgeon was successful, and even told my husband he has no idea why the other surgeon couldn't do it before since my liver was fine.

I guess I'm lucky I didn't have it done before, because that surgeon didn't see my hiatal hernia, and Dr. L did.

You will do fine! You can ask your surgeon if you can get a prescription for something like Valium so you can sleep good the night before, and I think some allow you to take it the morning of as well.

I think having freak outs are definitely a huge part of any surgery.

Keep us posted! Good luck!

I did not freak out thanks to my good friend Xanax that I spent a few days with leading up to surgery. Highly recommend it for you. No need to experience all that anxiety if you don't have to.

I was alittle anxious,but not too bad. My twin sister spent the night before with me and let me drive her Lexus,I'd been teasing her about driving it.,to the hospital and then she and our mom stayed with me until I went back. Post surgery was alittle painful,but not unbearable so. So just remember you've already made a commitment to change you life. So just think of that.

I had total freak out inside but calm on the inside... Especially when I got to the hospital and 5:30 am and was wheeled back at 8am only to be told they had the schedule wrong and I was not going to be sleeved until 1 pm!!! I thought that was a sign to leave!!! Very very nervous ... But I did it!!! No side effects!!! Alyce

Well I was completely alone and my big girl panties stayed up until they took me to the holding room. I began thinking how my mom and beautiful sister would be with me if they had not died. I began hoping I would wake up and make it home to my 16 yr old baby boy. I began thinking I should just go home and eat like I had a sleeve. Then the tears came. The poor nurse was befuddled. She thought it was something she had done. I was crying so hard I could not reassure her. She got her iphone and put on some christian music and gave it to me to hold. The anesthesiologist came in soon after and gave me a Valium. I did nothing so he gave me another one. YEAH! I had to walk to the ER, but only remember the iv being inserted. YEAH!

Well I am in freak out mode too. I have my sleeve scheduled 11/4/14. I have my pre-op testing this Thursday. I don't have a lot of support because I have only told a few people. I lied at work and said that I had to have part of my stomach removed due to an abscess. I did that because I am embarrassed. My husband is proud that I am doing this but I am really scared. I don't know if I am more scared of the surgery or the fact that I won't be able to eat the foods that I love. For a long time I have used food as comfort. I am a very picky eater and am terrified that I won't be able to find foods that I like while following the diet. I am tired of being the "big girl" and want to make my children proud. Now I just have to suck it up and "do this". Has anyone else felt this way prior to surgery?

I'd been in major freakout before surgery; it became worse after my doctor ordered an echo and a heart stress test because of my age..I am over sixty. He did this at the last minute. I actually had to drive to the doctor's office to get the official sign off from the doctor for surgery and drive it to my final pre-op visit with my surgeon's office. It was so hot that day (I live in FL). It took me a while to calm down from that and I felt no more anxiety about the surgery after that.

The day of surgery, I was in a daze going to the hospital. I'd slept about 2 hours, and yes I was anxious. When I was being prepped for surgery, the anesthesiologist couldn't find a decent vein. He poked and finally put the IV in the inside part of my wrist. Yes my wrist, and it hurt like hell. I was begging him to take it out. He said to just be calm and breathe in the oxygen. The next thing I knew, I was in recovery searching for the IV in my wrist. It was gone, of course, and replaced with one that didn't hurt. My surgery was on 9/9/14. When I woke I was in pain, but it felt absolutely no hunger at all. I do love the sleeve because I never feel hungry.

Edited by Arlene G

Well I am in freak out mode too. I have my sleeve scheduled 11/4/14. I have my pre-op testing this Thursday. I don't have a lot of support because I have only told a few people. I lied at work and said that I had to have part of my stomach removed due to an abscess. I did that because I am embarrassed. My husband is proud that I am doing this but I am really scared. I don't know if I am more scared of the surgery or the fact that I won't be able to eat the foods that I love. For a long time I have used food as comfort. I am a very picky eater and am terrified that I won't be able to find foods that I like while following the diet. I am tired of being the "big girl" and want to make my children proud. Now I just have to suck it up and "do this". Has anyone else felt this way prior to surgery?

I was sleeved August 25th. I too am a very picky eater. I don't eat any food that is mixed....therefore I didn't do the puréed stage I had to stay on full liquids until I could do soft foods. Try not to be scared, I know it's easier said than done but all will be ok. As far as eating afterwards, I have to stick to the very few things I like. Yes it does get boring eating this way but the results are great.

Thank you for the support. Definitely what I need to hear right now.

Hi there. I am a RN in the OR and I had my sleeve 9/25/14. I work in the hospital where I had the surgery. I picked everyone in the room (a plus when you work in the OR), but I was apprehensive. Totally normal. Focus on the end result. For me, it is the reality I will wear shorts in the spring. Pre surgery I went to Sam's and stocked up on Premier chocolate Protein Shakes. 30g/110z. I planned out what i would be doing after surgery. I did great and so will you. I went back to work 10/6/2014. I feel fantastic. No hunger, and no thirst. I use my timer and a shot glass to get my protein/fluids in. Good luck!