Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I thought things would be different

Since my surgery on 9/30, my recovery has gone well. Maybe too well. When I drink Water and Protein Shakes, if my forget myself and gulp, there is no pain. I can drink my Protein shakes in a few minutes. Water slides down without fullness. food goes down normally. My appetite feels like it is the same. I am losing weight at a small pace but no different than before. Besides my healing sutures, I don't feel like I had the surgery. Can anyone commiserate?

I feel the same way. Sometimes, not often, when I gulp I may feel like a belch is stuck in my chest but that quickly passes. I have an appetite but 2-3 tbsps of tuna and I feel full. Sleeved 9/30 and down 15lbs.

Edited by lmabry512

What you are feeling is different then most patients. It could be that your surgeon removed less of your stomach then others do. I know mine took out 85% of my stomach. Some remove 70-75%.

But! And I say but. You are playing Russian Roulette with your surgery. There is a line of staples and tissue that holds the line in place. It is swollen right now and very tender. If you push it too much you can and might possibly cause a leak or rupture. If I were you I would follow the guidelines your surgeon or team has set out for you and be more careful with Water intake and other intakes at this point.

I have no idea how it feels to be normal with WLS. I am one of those gals that hit the jackpot and have had nothing but complications since my surgery. So I know what it is like on the other side of the coin. Trust me, you don't want to be here.

Take care of your sleeve and it will give you time to work out the reasons why you had surgery in the first place. :)

You should weigh and measure your food. Not sure why, but some people don't feel the restriction at first - maybe numbness? Then they report later that they do. Either way, I wouldn't push it. You are less than 2 weeks out, and have a long way to go before you are healed.

norcal...find out what size bougie your doctor used. It might be too large and not much of your stomach was removed. Hmm. My recovery went well, too [absolutely no complications at all], but I definitely had indications of 'too much' or 'slow down' to gauge myself. I couldn't handle even a few swallows of Water, never mind gulps. My first post here [12/31/13] was about not being able to gulp/drink Water at first.

I agree with RJ that your stomach staple line needs to heal. Ingesting too much of anything can put tension and stretching of the swollen tissues. You don't want that. Speak to your doctor.

To Ima... I sometimes do a preemptive belch when I drink liquids, even as the liquid is going down, I can (somehow) do that and I don't get that stuck-in-my-chest feeling.

I healed quickly with no complications and very little discomfort. After the initial major swelling went down I could gulp Water...not 8oz at a time or anything, but four decent sized gulps were okay.

Eating was very slow and gentle. Only a little food fits in there, but it all goes in without any problems.

Some folks just heal quickly. I think it depends on age, level of health, and expectations.

Knock on wood! Because there are so many who've had difficult experiences with this wls. My prayers go out to them.

I had no problems meeting my Fluid and Protein goals immediately after surgery. However, I'm in the minority. All of your nerves were sliced through when they removed your tummy - therefore your "full" feeling will never be the same, as you progress you will discover what your new normal will be. On the liquid stage (and even pureed), you likely won't have any full feeling at all because Water and "slidy" foods just slip on through. I didn't really feel restriction until I moved on to soft foods.

Just because you seem to be on the luckier side of things like I am doesn't mean that we necessarily should drink that much in a gulp or that quickly. You are always in charge of how much, how fast and how often you send anything to your tummy.

Edited by Sleevarilla

Thank you for the wake up calls here. I was pushing it I think....

I was using pain and fullness as my guide. Thank you to all who responded. Every response was something I needed to hear!

Kitty, for the first week or two I could eat and drink MORE than I can now. I think it had to do with the numbing medicine my surgeon used internally. I have gradually been able to drink more than one swallow of Water at a time, but solid food is one tiny bite at a time and you will learn when to stop. Right before that "OH OH I ate too much" feeling.

Just remember nothing tastes as good as thin feels! LOL