Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New to the forum and just starting my process

Hello everyone!

My name is Monique and I am just starting my process in this journey. I have my first visit with my PCM on Oct 19th. I know I will have tons of questions through this process and I am thankful I found this support system. It took me a while to make this decision to go through with this procedure. I tried to loose the weight myself through working out and eating right however having an old knee injury was making very difficult to succeed, that and MANY other factors. I realized that I needed to make a change for myself and my children.

How long from first appointment to surgery date did it take for you? What are somethings I need to look forward to in this process? I know I will have to go through a Psych evaluation but what else can I expect?

I am looking forward to being able to go through this with a support system, people who have been there before. :)

Hello Monique and welcome. You've come to the right place for support, great advice and answers. I've only been here since Oct. 5 even though I'm having surgery Oct. 17. I'm not your typical red tape sleever. I have had some pretty traumatic experiences this past year that encouraged me to speed up the process. Honestly I'm not sure how long it would've taken if ever my insurance would've paid. I'm 5 ft 7 in and some old injuries and weight gain has made it impossible for me to be physically active due to chronic pain. I decided to forgo all the time it would take for my insurance to approve this procedure. I'm afraid if it took a yr. to jump through all of the hoops I might be completely immobile. I was 220 at my heaviest and I'm down to 207-208 lbs at present. If I could get down to 140 lbs and be active again I would be pleased with my results. I'm really not into runway model skinny. The folks here are at all stages of the game and everyone seems to be willing to offer as much help as they can. Again Welcome and best wishes on this amazing journey you are beginning!!

Hi it depends on your insurance qualification as well as your doctors program, it took 9 months for me to have my procedure but that's because my doctor has a very long waiting list. Congrats on your choice to be healthy.

I will be sleeved on Monday Oct 20th, My first Consult was April 18, That was a tight 6 months. Insur required 6 mth Doctor monitored diet. You may want to plan a little more because you could not miss an appointment or it through you off a month..

Hi there! I went to a seminar in June and my surgery is scheduled 11/10. Took a bit longer to get me scheduled due to the Dr finding two small stomach ulcers during my EGD...those had to heal before they would schedule me. I got lucky with the insurance...it took only a week to approve! Good luck to you!

I started back in May and had an insurance denial then was approved I am getting sleeved on Oct 14th. Honestly once the insurance is approved everything else goes really fast. I was scheduled for surgery 2 weeks after approval good luck

Thanks for the info everyone! I am glad that I found this so early in my process.

Thanks for the info everyone! I am glad that I found this so early in my process.

Welcome Nikki!

I also recently started this process...joined this site Oct 1st.

My story is pretty much the same. Battled this weight all my life, honestly tried to lose it and it has been unsuccessful.

1st things 1st...call your insurance. Mine has a 6 month physician supervised diet thingy.

They also recommended a surgeon that was part of a Bariatric center of excellence.

I called that surgeon and had a consultation with him.

I also met with my Primary care physician and started my diet program.

Yesterday the surgeon have me a folder with a pre-op checklist, pamphlets, calendars and all sorts of information.

He said that since I started in October that the surgery would most likely be in April 2015.

I can't wait!!! Lol

I am new to the forum also. I went to my first information session in August, and I am penciled in on my surgeon's calendar for the sleeve on November 3, but have not actually met with him. I have just complete all my pre-reqs and meet with him on Tuesday