Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Clothing Sizes

Hi everyone,

I had surgery on Aug 18 and have lost 42 pounds. However, my clothes still fit much like before. I'm wondering how long/how much weight lost it was before you were able to drop a size? I have really cute stuff two sizes smaller (from a few years ago) that I'd love to wear again.

THanks,

Jennifer

CONGRATS, that's great. Everyone's different, for me, I REALLY had to wear smaller sizes after 2 months (30+ lbs lost), and then the third month, definetely smaller sizes, I had NOTHING that fit right in my closet and now, 5 months and 62 lbs down I am 6 sizes down from my original size (pants). WoW!

Beleive me, you'll begin wearing those smaller cute things in your closet before you know it. MAKE SURE you start trying them on soon, because before you know it, they WILL fit! I kept thinking they wouldn't fit and now they're too big. Enjoy the losing ride, it's awsome!!

From my experience - before surgery I squeezed myself into clothes that we too small but I made them fit. They stretched and lost their original shape - therefore they "fit"! During this process, I have gone from a tight 26/28 to being comfortable in a size 18 (might try on 16's this weekend!). Be patient with your body and the weight loss. You see the numbers changing on the scale which is fantastic - trust me - soon enough you will be dropping pant sizes so quickly! Congratulations on your weight loss so far! You're doing GREAT! :)

I have lost 41 pounds since I started my ore-op weight loss and I am still in the same size pants. But back in July, I was SQUEEZING into pants that were literally bursting at the seams (one of the rows of stitches had come out of the butt of my brown pants) and now they are hanging pretty loose on me. They still aren't falling-off/pull-them-down-without-unbuttoning big, but they are rather loose. I am hoping to get by with skipping a size (these are size 20) and go straight into 16s at some point in the near future.

I went from a 22/24 to a 16W depending on the cut of clothing. I have very large legs to the knee so the tight legged/skinny or some boot cuts just don't fit. I have always lost real fast inches in my waste but the legs remain. I have lost 60 pds. The size change was strange, i lost one size without losing a pd (during a week long stall)

That's awesome! I praying for those results, I want to wear cute thing again all I wear are ugly tee shirts etc I'm ready just waiting!

After 1 month post-op I lost around 22 lbs and I was about to go back to work. I was so thrilled that everything in my closet was well fitted, nothing tight (I was wearing size 16 post-op) I can fit comfortably in my old clothes.

During the second month I didn't lose much, it was quite slow, only 7.7 lbs but some clothes were hanging off me already..

Third month I lost around more 11 lbs and everyday I got upset because everything in the closet was too big, of course I can still wear some (but they're definitely too big, I mean some top turned to be a dress!)

Now I'm going on my 4th month and last week I went shopping a little, now I can fit in (not tight) size M (8)for the top but I only bought 1 cardigan and 1 jacket because I still didn't' want to buy new clothes.

However, today I hit the rock bottom in my closet, I wanted to wear a skirt of size 16 that I could still wear 2 weeks ago but I couldn't anymore!! so I tried on the smallest skirt of size 12 that I kept (for souvenire lol which wore the last time 8 years ago) and almost shocked that I can fit in it!!!.

That's it, I think I have to start changing the whole wardrobe and my husband is scared to death now lol.

That's it, I think I have to start changing the whole wardrobe and my husband is scared to death now lol.

I haven't dropped any sizes with my sleeve, but I had lost 90 pounds a few years ago and I learned that thrift stores and clearance racks were my friends. As I was losing weight, I did NOT want to be spending $50-60 on a pair of pants I would only wear for 2 months tops. That's my plan this time as well, assuming I ever actually drop a size....

Although I am pre-surgery...thought this journey thus far I have done alot of reading and tried to keep up with the latest information the pro's and con's of the post-op.

Contrary to what some may think, most of the GoodWill Stores here actually have some decent clothing..some even new, and since the medical bills with co pays, and now a 2 grand deductable for my surgery...going out and spending alot of money "that I don't have" on a new wardrobe, I will just pick up some things at GoodWill to hold me over through fluxuations. I DID however, make a promise to myself that the first 40 pounds...I will get something new..as a reward...the next 20 pounds..again..I will again get something nice....20...20..20..and when I reach my ultimate Goal...I VOWED...I was going to have that Black Leather Jacket I have always wanted..but couldn't because they didn't make my size and if they did..it just wouldn't look the same....why a black leather jacket you ask??? Because I have a brand new Harley Davidson motorcycle that I wearing that jacket would look just amazing on. :D

Mostly I wear dress, so I think of buying some models that I can still wear even when I shrink down a few sizes, thinking of dresses sans sleeves so I can just wear cardigan (of my real size) over them.

I'm still wearing my old rain coat (had to fold the sleeves) but have to wear a few layers inside because when it looses It doesn't keep me warm enough.

Now I still keep some tunics of size 18, I can wear them as casual dresses!

I haven't dropped any sizes with my sleeve, but I had lost 90 pounds a few years ago and I learned that thrift stores and clearance racks were my friends. As I was losing weight, I did NOT want to be spending $50-60 on a pair of pants I would only wear for 2 months tops. That's my plan this time as well, assuming I ever actually drop a size....

You will eventually drop a few sizes in a few months, you'll see. It's like it just happened in one day! I'm looking forward to be in my goal dress of Liz Claiborne that I bought over 13 years ago when I lost weight down to 121 lbs but I didn't get to stay very long at that weight and I didn't have a heart to throw the dress, I loved it too much!!

In 2005 I lost from 270 to 179, yes just diet and exercise; however I was unable to maintain the loss and over 7 years gained back to my 258. Luckly I kept most of those clothes. So I have not had to purchase anything but one uniform (between my pre surg pants and what I am in now). I did buy me a new sweater about a week ago, just hasn't got cool enough to wear it yet.

GoodWill - What we call the GW Boutique is one of my favorite places to shop

I've lost 40 pounds and 2 dress sizes... but I should tell you that I've been hovering around 37-40 lbs loss for several weeks but the 2 pant sizes really came around during that "stall" period. My body was working on something else i guess!

I have 4 pairs of pants.. jeans and jean shorts, that fit me now, but already after discovering that last week they are starting to be at that stage where pulling them up or down doesn't require releasing the button or zipper. Soon they will be just falling off and then I'm going to have to find something that will fit because i do not have a closet full of old smaller sizes to peruse through.

Anyway back to you... you dont seem to be losing sizes yet - don't fret this will come to pass for you, too. Are you exercising? don't overdo it but also don't not do it at all... the exercising I think is one of the things that is helping me so much just toning the muscles i have helps change my body shape so even with a "smaller" loss the measuring tape will still move.

I have lost about 60 pounds total before and after surgery. I was really thinking the same why am I not going down sizes more? But like another poster said I think before my clothes "fit" aka I squeezed into them but I am now finally going down I was a 24 before and now finally can fit in a 20 comfortably. It really depends on where you lose the weight too.

I didn't really go down a size until I had lost a significant amount of weight. And I lose from the top down so I'd be smaller in the boob region but still in a 24 at the waist. Currently I'm a 14/16W or 16 misses in tops and an 18 in pants (as an aside 18 is the worst size because you can sometimes find it in a normal stores like New York & Company but when you go in there are only like one or two items in the size. You go to a plus size store and the 18s are all gone because it is a common size. So you can't find it any damn where).

But, in the plus sizes there is a lot more variance between sizes. So you can lose 30 or 35 lbs and still not quite fit into a smaller size. Bizarre, right? If you are a size 12 and you lose 35 lbs you are down a couple sizes or more.