Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone! I just wanted to pop in and introduce myself! If you care to know more about me or put a face to the name please go to my profile and click on "My Story" and "Gallery".

I am excited (and terrified :huh: ) to be here. I hope we can help support each other on our journey towards greater health. I am a prayer so anytime you need some, let me know!

As those who are super sized we have a certain set of challenges that we will experience, as we go through the process of weight loss surgery, regardless of which type we have.

All together now, we CAN do this!

Hello all,

My name is Rachael and I had the sleeve surgery in portland, or on 9/17

I first talked about my weight with my PCP in June weighing in at 428 lbs...she got me in touch with OWLS Dr Emma Patterson who I met in July and weighed 403...she asked me to lose 20 lbs and so on my date of surgery I was exactly 383!!!!

I am 9 weeks out now and I am 349 lbs and doing very well...I have so much to lose and I feel like I am just losing so slowly. It is probably because I just could not get myself to move much but I got myself a vivofit and I feel like I am really pushing it and getting better each day!

Hi Rachel!

Glad to "meet" you! Wow, 70 pounds down is nothing to sneeze at, but I agree, I am often overwhelmed thinking of how much I need to loose. All we can do is follow our post op plans and stay focused on the end goal.

Even though my surgery is not until June I am hoping to keep getting encouragement here until I am wheeled into the operating room! Hang in there and keep your eyes on the prize, health and happiness!

@@Rach8610 I probably should have posted my intro before posting this but I'M SO FREAKIN' EXCITED to meet someone chose the same surgeon I did! I was 451 when I started and by the time I met Dr. Patterson I was down to 420. She wants me down to 395 before I start, but honestly I'm struggling. I think, no, I know I'm back up, but I'm not sure how high. I have to go see her again next Tuesday and I'm a bit nervous.

My insurance will not let me have my surgery until Feb or March, but I'm trying to push it out until April when my paid time off kicks in again.

What was your experience of this whole process at the OWLS clinic? Oh, and did you get to meet Biscuit?

Hello everyone,

My name is Heide and I live in Tigard, Oregon (near Portland.) I have only joined this forum yesterday because I really felt the need to correspond with people who are going through what I am. I found a few less active forums, and also a few that didn't really include a space for people who are in the process of meeting the surgical requirements. I know people who have had surgery, even one who was close to my weight, but other than that, we have little in common.

I live with my husband, my 15 year old nephew (whom I have raised as my son since he was a year old) and our bad-ass cat, Rocky. (Seriously, the cat fights with raccoon's and leaves little "gifts" on the back porch -thankfully none of them are raccoons.) I want to get healthy to be a better parent/role model, and a better wife, but mostly I just want to do all the things I miss out on because of my weight and to be able to live long enough to enjoy my family into my old age.

Thanks to Maureen for setting up this group! I can't wait to get to know you all better. :)

Well, I guess this is the place to introduce myself to you all.

I first started my journey about 7-1/2 years ago with a BMI in the 50's. I did okay with the nutrition classes for 6 months, lost some weight, etc. The program I was in at UPMC St. Margaret had a couple hundred dollar fee ($400? $600? Something like that.) that needed to be paid between the classes and getting a surgery date scheduled. It covered the classes I'd already had, but also lifetime support post-op. But I just didn't have the money.

The next time I started, at the same play, my weight had gone up and my BMI was now in the 60's. As a result, my insurance (UPMC's version of Medicare) only required 3 month's of classes. (I was told that Medicare didn't require any, but the surgeon wanted to make sure that I was serious and got some information about what to expect.) I think I was discouraged that my weight had gone up as I missed 2 of the 3 classes. I didn't have the money anyway, so....

Anyway, a friend had a sleeve done on January 19, so he's just at 1 week post-op today, and from talking to him this past week I've gotten the motivation to try again. I'm not the heaviest I've ever been, but I'm only about 5 pounds away. My knees have deteriorated SO much that if I don't do something soon, I'm going to be completely housebound. (I already am on bad days, but I still have some good and mediocre days as well.)

This time I'm looking into the program at UPMC Magee-Womens Hospital. (Used to be primarily a pre-natal to birthing center, thus the name, but now is a regular "full service" hospital.) I was able to do the information session on-line. Downloaded and filled out the Initial Evaluation Form. And I even submitted a request for the initial consult (Step 3 of the process) and am waiting to hear back, hopefully today.

Since my BMI is back above 60 again, I figure I'll be able to do the 3 month bit, but I'm going to ask to do the whole 6 months of classes. That'll give me more time to save up for their fee, if they have one. (Medicare now covers nutrition classes, so I'm not sure.)

Initial consult in the next week or so.

Nutrition classes Feb - July.

Pay fee, final insurance approval, meet with surgeon, get date, do liquid pre-op diet....

Surgery by mid August.

Thanksgiving at 3 months.

Christmas at 4 months.

Those last two should be interesting. I'm not sure, but I don't think I'll be able to have a small slice of turkey yet at Thanksgiving.

But if I don't do something soon, this weight is going to kill me!