Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low carb diet after weight loss surgery

I lost quite a bit of weight on a very low carb diet a year ago that also included "special" B12 Vitamin shots that you got 3 times per week. But like so many extreme diets I quickly gained it all back plus some after stopping. And unless you have a tiny stomach it seems like an impossible way of eating forever.

I have not had my surgery yet which will more than likely be a gastric bypass. I've read that you really should try to max out your first year honeymoon period for as much weight loss as you can manage. After rearranging my insides I'd really like to make the most of it. I was thinking maybe a regular low carb diet for life might also be my best option because from that diet last year I think I discovered that carbs are really my Achilles heel.

So has anyone tried a low carb or a very low carb diet after weight loss surgery? If so for how long did you do it before transitioning over to a more normal way of eating? Did you think it was helpful?

Thanks.

I'm not "trying" a low carb diet, I'm doing it. I focus on Protein -- getting 60 grams a day (goal set by my doctor and NUT). If I eat that much Protein, I have little room left for anything else. I usually get around 60 grams of carbs (all from fruits and vegetables or beans) a day. Maybe 30 grams of sugar if I have a couple of pieces of fruit. Almost no bread. I will eat a "sandwich" from half of a whole wheat deli thin every now and then or maybe a wrap using half of a whole wheat tortilla, but even those usually make me feel a little uncomfortable and once the tortilla from the wrap made me dump.

I consider this my normal way of eating and have no plans of changing. I don't feel the urge for carbs or sugar anymore. When I get somewhere I feel like is goal and go into maintenance of that, I plan to just add in more veggies and continue to avoid the processed carbs.

This is not a diet -- it's a new way of eating and it's working and I feel wonderful.

Completely agree with Ginger's response above.

This is no longer a "low carb diet" but is a new way of life.

I recently transitioned to maintenance mode after I hit my goal and avoiding sugar, fat and carbs is just my life now. Other than the small amount of carbs I get in my veggies I avoid them all like the plague as I know breads, Pasta, rice etc... were a huge contributor to my previous way of life which I intend never to go back to.

I am in my 11th month post op and I am ready to go low carb. If you look closely at what our Drs told us to eat post op, it is low carb. I have been slipping in the candy department and from past experience, on low carb, I lost that craving. I am happy where I am now, but don't like the fact that I have let that slip back in.

@@Ginger Snaps That is so encouraging to hear! I noticed when I did the low carb diet that I didn't have the cravings but boy once I let bread, baked goods or Pasta slip back in it was a slippery slope to overeating again. I'm really happy to hear that it's working for you. Looks like you are really acing it out of the ballpark.

The very low carb diet I did last year had only about 30 carbs per day and that was just not sustainable. But a reasonable low carb diet sounds like just what I need to do. I'm looking forward to discussing it with my nutritionist.

Thanks for you input and continued success in your journey!

@@winning_by_losing You're right about the rice, breads and Pasta. I know I'll have to permanently wean myself off of them except for very special occasions - like my birthday. But overall they need to stay out.

You set a fine example and I wish you continued success!

@@judyr I haven't seen a meal plan yet as I still awaiting my surgery. But if it's a low carb plan then I guess my thinking is right on track. Thanks for mentioning that Judy. Even if all nutritionist don't think the same way I know I'm going to bring it up with mine.

It is always a good idea to talk to your dr and nutritionist. They are more aware of your health issues and can monitor you closely.

@@judyr Absolutely. I really like the forums because there is so much great information here. But everyone is different and hopefully your doctor and nutritionist will know what's best for you.

I'll be honest: Low Carb scares me. Like in a general overview, hebbie-jebbies sort of way. Most of my career as an eater of foods has focused solely on potatoes, rice, wheat based baked items, and fruit.

Sometimes scary things wind up being good. I'm here for a new way of life and I figure having a divorce with the foods that landed me here probably isn't a bad thing. I've spent years telling myself that I'll change, things will be different, we'll work this out because we love each other... but I haven't tried life yet without the foods that are bringing me down. Which is why I'm really excited (scary-excited) about having my RNY.

@@Algae I also love my carbs and the thought of not eating any or even very many of them is scary. A wonderful bonus I found when I did that very low carb diet last year was that the cravings were gone. Your head might say, gee I wish I could have a pizza, but there was no real feeling behind it. I hope to get back to that head space with the WLS.

Also here in Ontario, Canada you have a support team of psychologists, social workers and nutritionist to help you for up to five years. All for free both before and after surgery. You can see them only once a year (required) or weekly or monthly if you want. I hope they will be of help in tackling the root cause(s) of my overeating.