Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone. Id like to hear some opinions about different shakes and compare for Protein content, taste, and cost. Im about 4 wks. from surgery date and would like to be prepared with something I can tolerate and afford.

I have been using Jay Robb whey Protein powder from the beginning. It comes in vanilla, chocolate, strawberry and Tropical flavors. It's made with Stevia as the sweetener.

I add to it at times PB2 Peanut Butter powder or PB2 chocolate Peanut Butter powder.

I sometimes add to it Torani sugar free syrups which comes in a multitude of flavors.

Ask your nutritionist if it's okay with them to use these at the beginning right after surgery because they might not you having them at that stage.

I've known individuals that like powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury Protein powders which also come in vanilla, Chocolate or strawberry.< /strong>

I would call the companies to get sample packs to try them out.

Good luck with your journey to a healthier you and with your surgery.

I know around here there is a store called the Vitamin Shoppe (it is a chain) and they do monthly Bariatric info nights, giving out samples and coupons etc. I use unjury. I have tried Syntax nectar in a few flavors but like the Unjury better for texture and taste.

I like post-234841-14126000824179_thumb.jpg

Your taste buds will change right after surgery. What might taste good now might taste horrible after surgery. So be prepared to experiment after the operation with different choices for Protein shakes.

It is important to use an electric blender such as a Ninja Blender (Individual Size) or a Bullet Blender to mix the powder into the liquid. Trying to blend using a hand shaker doesn't mix the powders well enough.

Not all Protein powders are alike. You may become lactose intolerant right after surgery and this might last for a couple months. Some protein powders are lactose free. Also avoid any powders with higher levels of sugar.

In my opinion, Protein Shakes are a misnomer. They taste horrible and should never be compared to the taste of a milk shake. But getting in the protein is a prerequisite to the surgery. So the important thing is finding something that you can tolerate. There are a variety of choices out there. Some are powder some are premixed, some are super concentrated. Find something that you can tolerate.

Some on this board have suggested getting a variety of samples to begin with rather than buying a large canister of powder that you might not use. This is a good approach.

I love unjury chocolate splendor -- I use a shaker bottle with the wire ball thing in it to mix with Unsweetened Almond Silk milk. I don't like to use the blender because it puts too much air into it and makes the volume bigger which makes it hard to finish. I think it has 20 grams of Protein per scoop (the milk adds to that too).

I also drink Muscle Milk 100 chocolate. I think it's around 18 grams Protein? I track everything through My Fitness Pal so I don't remember the numbers off the top of my head.

I like several of the Syntrax flavors -- they have a wild grape flavor that you mix with Water that tastes a lot like grape Koolaid.

I agree about not stocking up before. I bought a couple of samplers before surgery. Immediately after surgery, you won't need more than maybe 2 a day, so you have plenty of time to order the ones that really meet the taste test. It's not like stocking up in your old way of eating -- stocking up for me now means 4-5 greek yogurts (to last a week or more), two 4 packs of Muscle Milk light (to last about 2 weeks)... very small quantities can last a LONG time!

I'm big on the ready-to-drink options as I leave so early each morning that I'm sure I'd forget an ingredient (or the whole thing entirely) if I were trying to make my own every morning.

That said - my fave is the strawberry flavored Premier Protein (30 grams of Protein from the 11oz carton). When I travel I frequently stop at a Vitamin Shoppe and pick up Pure Protein (35g of protein from 11oz can). I prefer the banana or Cookies & Cream flavors in those.

I've tried all other RTD options that I've found in any of the local stores and none of them come close. They either have decent protein and taste terrible, taste OK and have minimal protein or a few that just don't keep me feeling full for longer than a couple of hours.

post-234841-14126472154175_thumb.jpg post-234841-1412647235768_thumb.jpgbest milk for mixing Protein Drinks

I love Premier Protein ready to drink shakes. I cannot tolerate any of the powders and have tried just about everything the last 2 years. I still have at least 1 shake per day usually for Breakfast.

I bought 7 cases of Premier Protein for after my surgery. After all, I loved it during the before surgery phase. Well, you guessed it, I became lactose intolerant after surgery! Needless to say, I had to return them. I began drinking the ready to drink Protein shakes from GNC, but they are only 25g. Then, I started making my own shakes after I reached week 3 and was given the go ahead for Peanut Butter. I have a Nutribullet blender and it works very well. For Breakfast (or whenever I am low on my Protein intake for the day):

1 c. silk almond milk (unsweetened) - I am diabetic

1/2 frozen banana

a shake of cinnamon

a few cubes of ice and mix;

then add: Protein powder (chocolate), I use GNC

and mix again.

This gives you a thick satisfying shake!! I also take my Vitamins when I drink my shake, with no ill side effects.

Good Luck!!

Ooops. Forgot the Peanut Butter - heaping 1 teaspoon is plenty

I bought 7 cases of Premier Protein for after my surgery. After all, I loved it during the before surgery phase. Well, you guessed it, I became lactose intolerant after surgery! Needless to say, I had to return them. I began drinking the ready to drink Protein shakes from GNC, but they are only 25g. Then, I started making my own shakes after I reached week 3 and was given the go ahead for Peanut Butter. I have a Nutribullet blender and it works very well. For Breakfast (or whenever I am low on my protein intake for the day):

1 c. silk almond milk (unsweetened) - I am diabetic

1/2 frozen banana

a shake of cinnamon

a few cubes of ice and mix;

then add: Protein Powder (chocolate), I use GNC

and mix again.

This gives you a thick satisfying shake!! I also take my Vitamins when I drink my shake, with no ill side effects.

Good Luck!!