Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Loss Struggle Presurgery Question

I'm 60 and have a very difficult time losing weight. When dieting I can never get past losing 20lbs.The last weight managment Quest I made was with the Medical Weight Loss center and only lost a total of 7lbs in 3 months. They were as baffled as I was and now I'm afraid I will get the same results with the surgery. Has anyone had this same problem presurgery? And if did surgery work for you?

you are definitely not alone. i'm 57 (as of next week lol) and just finished my 3 month presurgery supervised weight loss, for a grand total of 10.5. i'm not sleeved yet, but i don't expect to have the same problem after surgery. that's why we're having it, right? :)

good luck! and don't worry, keep reading the posts on the forum, they're very comforting when you think you're alone in an issue.

@@Dragon Fly, I had the same problem losing weight. It took forever to lose any weight and never stayed off.

Forget about worrying about weight loss anymore. Just keep on the program. One day it will be surgery day. I was sleeved last Friday morning. By Sunday my blood sugars went to normal (after having diabetes for 4 years), and I felt 99% normal. After one week, I lost 9 lbs. That has NEVER happened in my life! I'm following the program as instructed and will continue to lose. My surgeon said that I can expect to not have sleep apnea in 3 - 4 months. I am SO happy I did this. It DOES work. My obesity will not cause me to die 10 years earlier. You will lose lots of weight and be much healthier too. It truly is an incredible tool.

congrats, @@BeagleLover, on your surgery! you sound like everything's going well.

I will soon be 52 and was sleeved 8-26. I had 2 months of preop diet and lost about 30# but since surgery I have only lost about 20#. You will have to continue to follow your prescribed diet but it will be easier to keep things in check. Because if you don't you will pay for it with pain and discomfort and possibly other nasty side effects. I think that us girls that are in our 2nd prime it might just be a little slower than the newer models. So keep plugging along and we will get to the end of this journey and let our healthier, thinner selves out.

I was a Weight Watchers retread for decades. The same thirty pounds lost over and over and over and over. Always regained with some bonus pounds. I'm so happy that this loss with my LapBand is the last time I'm doing this! And I've lost three times that thirty so far.

I think it's a completely normal fear and I'm guessing everyone on these boards either struggled with losing the same pounds over and over again only to gain back or they were like me and just never could seem to lose anything.

After surgery, life is completely different. You get help from your smaller tummy and/or rerouted plumbing. I didn't have a presurgery diet I had to do but it had gotten to where even on Weight Watchers I wouldn't lose more than a pound or so the first week. When I was younger and went on WW, I'd lose 5-6 the first week.

We have all had surgery because we weren't successful in losing any other way.

I will soon be 62 and my surgery was in June. I still have the same fears. After looking at what everyone else has lost....I get thinking I am losing so slow. I know we are all different but you can't help but wondering "WHY"? I have lost the same 30 times 12.....I have one point in my weight I reach and I won't go any lower and then I gain it back. I am at that weight now and have been on a six week stall! I know we all go through stalls, but I am praying this weight comes off and this will be the last time. I keep thinking one morning I am going to wake up and I have conquered this Nemesis!! Good Luck....I am sure you will do great!

Don't worry so much. I am a slow loser, too, but the scale is going down, and I will take that. Follow your program and start exercising in some way as soon as your doctor permits. Losing slowly gives you skin time to get some of its elasticity back. Remember.......sweat is fat crying!

@TEXASLADY52 Have you talked to your doctor and NUT? It's true we all do lose at different rates but it would be worth tracking your food and sharing that with your team to see if there is anything you are doing that might be slowing things down for you.

Hang in there, stick to the plan for food and exercise and things WILL turn around for you!

Thanks

pre surgery I went on a carb free diet. for surgery I needed to lose 5% of my body wt. it took me from sept. to may to finally lose 15 lbs. before I considered surgery I did nutrisystem, weight watchers, south beach diet,, I counted carbs and fats and calories and was gaining . I went from 240 lbs to almost 300 lbs. it took my heart stopping for me to seek out wls. the last recorded wt. I had was 296 but I know I was higher than that and this morning I was 213.

Thanks everyone for all your replies. All your answers were encouraging and have relieved me of the doubt and fear I've had about losing the long a waited weight I've carried so long. I haven't got a date set for surgery yet but everything is on track so soon I should know. I will keep in touch, I see this is good place for support. God Bless all of you!

Failure to lose weight and maintain all my life was the biggest reason I chose to have a bypass. I am almost two months postop now, and I'll tell you the weight loss hasn't been quick since. Rather its a slower but consistent loss, about 1-2 pounds a week. At that rate, it will take me about 9 months to hit my goal. That's fine with me.

Bryan, I will be happy even if my weight loss is slow as long as I consistently lose as you have have. Nice job!