Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

advice please

I am going to be having surgery at the end of the month and I have heard some many things on what you can and can't have before and after surgery. So what are some of the best things to have for your liquid diet before surgery as well as after?? Also I'm a spark girl(single mom works 8-10 hr days so I need my energy) is that something you can have after surgery? Again any advice would be great, so confused about everything you read cause you see so may different things different places.

Thank you in advance

You should stick to the plan that your surgeon/nutritionist provide you for both pre-op and post-op diets. Without knowing the specifics of your pre-op diet, we really aren't going to be able to offer much advice on what types of things are best for you. Some surgeons require a liquid pre-op diet. Some require a specific brand of Protein shake. Some allow you to eat normal food. Until you have those details, we can't tell you how to make the most of your specific plan.

Also, I don't know what "Spark" is? Is that some sort of energy drink? If it has caffeine, you won't be able to have it immediately post-op. My nutritionist told me no caffeine until 30 days post-op. Yours might have a different guideline, but I can guarantee you won't be allowed caffeine right out of the gate, because it hard on your stomach. They definitely won't let you have it until you're fully healed up.

Edited by JamieLogical

Agree. No on the caffiene at least at first. I'm not familiar with Spark, but if it's carbonated that isn't allowed either.

Oddly now that I'm off caffiene, I find I don't need it to get through the day. My energy level is great, haven't had coffee/caffiene since the day before surgery (going on 4 weeks). :)

Follow what your docs plan says. Most people are allowed broth and cream Soups (strained and thinned), sugarfree popsicles, Protein drinks, Water, diluted 100% fruit juice (apple is good). I ate a lot of campbell's creamy Tomato thinned with milk.

G2, crystal light, herbal tea, what ever low or no calorie drinks you like.

coffee is a fuuny topic. I could not drink the stuff before surgery because I wouldnt sleep. After surgery I cant drink enough. Great appiatite supressant and I can drink a cup just before bed and go to sleep.

Agreed, Agreed and Agreed...It's important to follow what ever plan the NUT and Surgeon has for you.

As for mine, I had 6 months pre-op NUT visits and was given the following 7 day liquid pre-op diet sample menu which works better for me, tell me what I can have at what time verses trying to do it by myself...perhaps yours might be the same.

8 am 1 Protein Drink

10 am 1 cup Water or herbal tea or Vitamin Water zero

12 pm 1 Protein Drink, 1 cup low sodium broth, 1 cup sugar free Jello

2 pm 1 cup water, 4 oz sugar free pudding

4 pm 1 cup water or herbal tea or Vitamin water zero or 4 oz low sodium V8 juice

6 pm 1 cup non-fat plain greek yogurt with 1 tsp. no sugar added fruit preserves, 1 cup water, 1 cup fat free cream Soup,

1 sugar free popsicle

8 pm 1 cup sugar free Jello

Be sure to drink at least 4 cups of water per day, make sure you intakes stay within the following ranges:

70-80 grams of Protein per day

40 grams of carbohydrate per day

Hope that helps you :D

Oops, and as for coffee with Caffeine, My NUT told me to ween myself off the caffeine it is not recommended prior to or after surgery. I love my cup of coffee in the morning with sugar free hazelnut creamer...but to be given this gift (sleeve) to help me have a healthier life....I'll give up the caffeine. oh and by the way....I also quit smoking..3 months now...the sacrifices we are willing to give up :wacko: ......for end results being better. :D