Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Elias Ortiz or Dr. Fernando Garcia?

Curious why you eliminated Dr. Ariel Ortiz? Dr A. Ortiz and Dr. Pompa are Center of Excellence surgeons. I am trying to decide between these two surgeons. Such a big decision.

Because I find it very hard hard to believe that Dr. Ariel Ortiz has ZERO complications out of all the surgeries he has done. (I am not bashing him at all). I just feel like it's not true, all doctor even the best of the best here in the states have complications, which is totally ok cause nothing or no one is perfect. All of the doctors I've spoken to tell me they've had 2-3 out of thousands (which is still great) but he was the only doctor to say he had none. I really find that hard to believe. I also liked the honestly of the rest of doctors, they didn't have a problem stating their bad experiences.

What made you go to mexico? The savings? What was your process like? How long was the whole process? Did you have to travel back and forth to mexico? Just curious. Do you get surgery quickly? TIA

HollisRN- I haven't gone yet but I have decided that's what I am doing. My insurance doesn't cover the surgery and I cannot afford the cost of it in the US ($18K). Compared to all the reviews I've read a lot of people highly recommend it. I will for sure be going. I have the money saved up and now just narrowing it down to these 2 doctors to give me deposit and start my countdown. For the follow up they will just be a phone call or email away but my pcp said he will continue to see me and do my labs...

Rocky- I've heard they are both great! One is just more expensive than the other by $2000. I've seen DR. Ariel YouTube videos and he's quiet impressive. Speak perfect english...

Thank you. Whats the cost?

@@hollisrn76 I paid $4400 to have my sleeve done. I didn't have to jump threw any hoops or do all the crazy silly things our health care instructs us to do.. I knew I needed help, I got help. I feel the surgeons in Mexico are much better than here in Canada as it's their lively hood, they have to do a good job or they'll be out of a job. Here in Canada, you screw up or do a crappy job, oh well, that's what insurance is for, so they don't really give a care. Dr. E. Ortiz did mine and there were no problems.

I paid $4600 for Dr. Elias Ortiz (plus flight). Most everything is included with this cost - hotel, food, hospital, meds etc. His price just went up when I had booked him.

Hi there!

One of my girlfriends went to see Dr. Fernando Garcia last May. She Did tons and tons of research and found that her best bet was with him. Dr. Fernando Garcia is also accredited through the US from my understanding through my friend. She is a year out and has lost 140 pounds. The only complication that she had was eating after she got back home a slice of pizza and she paid dearly for it. Other than that she said that this was the best decision she ever made.

I am scheduled to go to Dr. Fernando Garcia December 8th with surgery December 9th. I am very very excited and happy! I absolutely love Ms. Alma (coordinator) and I've been talking with her since last year 2013. I finally decided to get it done after fighting with my insurance. Ms. Alma always calls my husband whenever he emails her with a question. They make sure that the family is comfortable and worry free. Just pray about your decision because what might be good for Jane isn't for Jake.

Wishing you the best on your journey!

Ok, so I've done all my research and it's down to these 2 doctors in Tijuana.< br />I'm reaching out to you guys, if there is anything you know negative or positive, please share....
I am trying to schedule my surgery end of November.

Edited by SHBROW4134

@bariatricdreamer No need to worry about travelling alone. They pick you up at the airport, there are other people in the van with you to meet, they take you to the hotel where everyone else is, then the following day you go to the hospital with everyone. When your done, you go back to the hotel with everyone, and out shopping in a group. So don't feel scared, your not alone, there will be lots of others there.